Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good for you guys! I don't use marijuana but I don't like the idea of infringing on others' ability to put it in their own bodies. I'd like to see if NH will decriminalize other victim-less crimes next.

EDIT: Looks like a veto threat from your governor, and it's not full decriminalization as I hoped. The bill has a $250 fine and jail time for multiple offenders.

Ok, back to the tread, I won't keep derailing it.

Actualy all victomless crime being done away with in is commitee now. Being an election yr I think it will probably stay there untill after the elections.

GOP does have a veto proof majority but I dont think they have enough votes to overide the weed deal. Maybe next yr as this gov is not running again. Thank god . How a fiscal liberal and social conservative got elected gov to a libertarian state is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Property tax?

High, so when it all comes out in the wash we are #37 on all around tax burdon. Meaning 36 other states have a higher over all tax burdon.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:
Well, health care is not optional. Everyone uses it, but the problem is that some pay for it, while others don't.
Regardless, that doesn't justify forcing people to buy policies from an insurance company or paying a fine for not doing so. Almost everyone uses housing and transportation, but we don't force people to buy a house or vehicle from a company, and fine them for not doing so.

Once again, I've already proposed a compromise that will cover the people you speak about who use the system without paying for it. Are you not willing to examine this possibility in exchange for preserving freedom of choice?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
High, so when it all comes out in the wash we are #37 on all around tax burdon. Meaning 36 other states have a higher over all tax burdon.
Yes, they usually hit you harder in some other area when a tax is removed. They still need the revenue.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Well, health care is not optional. Everyone uses it, but the problem is that some pay for it, while others don't.

Actualy not everyone uses it and for some people when they do they would rather pay cash.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, they usually hit you harder in some other area when a tax is removed. They still need the revenue.

The state also owns all the liquer stores and sells it cheap to tourists along the hwys.

We also have a high rooms and meals tax. 9%

Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Regardless, that doesn't justify forcing people to buy policies from an insurance company or paying a fine for not doing so. Almost everyone uses housing and transportation, but we don't force people to buy a house or vehicle from a company, and fine them for not doing so.
Nor do we have a system which mandates everyone else to pay for transportation of those who use transportation, but enjoy the "freedom" of not paying for it. With HC we have that mandate and it is costing us half a trillion dollars in 10 years.

See the problem?

Quote:
Once again, I've already proposed a compromise that will cover the people you speak about who use the system without paying for it. Are you not willing to examine this possibility in exchange for preserving freedom of choice?
Your "compromise" doesn't resolve anything. How does it cover anything, or anyone? You are promoting a freeloader system, which has been bankrupting us for decades.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
The state also owns all the liquer stores and sells it cheap to tourists along the hwys.

We also have a high rooms and meals tax. 9%
And we have a lot of tourists. Thanks to the climate, not the politicians. Either way, it enables us to be State Tax Free.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Especially if they're a rich foreign dignitary (King/Dictator, etc.) who'll come here for state of the art medical treatment that doesn't exist in their own country.

Toss in the fact that it's extremely unpopular with the American people, and Obama's war on women (and attempting to portray Sandra Fluke as a 'victim' is really preposterous), on top of the possibility that 20,000,000+ Americans who'll be very likely to lose their employer-provided healthcare according to the CBO, and that's just for starters.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
National Health Care reform - why all this anger/opposition?

To steal a quote I saw a few days ago:

Being poor and republican is like being a cow that is pro-leather.

That poor cow is bipartisan

A poor Repub or DEM cow is coverable under Medicaid now.
Medicaid will exceed Medicare in costs paid in the future.
One in Five will be on Medicaid at some time in their life.
And, they don't pay insurance premiums or a
penny for it.

No matter how good the intentions, this health care bill failed
miserably if it is dependent on forcing someone else to engage
in a private business contract, and spend money with a private
company, or be fined at the Federal level for not doing so.
Simply to argue that citizens need to spend more money privately,
to compensate for what others bring to a public burden, is only
not fair, it's unconstitutional.

Who needs enemies in healthcare reform, when you have a friend in
"I didn't campaign on a public option" Obama.
As a Libertarian, here's some advice for DEMS: get some balls

If the argument for the individual mandate is "We are all in this together"
you mean Medicare for All - a single payer system.
Without private insurance companies as the profiteer middleman.

Anything short of that, at the federal level:
is a waste of healthy air, and
federal taxpayer money.

Last edited by pollyrobin; 03-27-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies