Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Jason, the operative word is *EXECUTIVE.* Being a Legislator at the state and Federal level is not one iota of "executing" a state or a nation!

Know you not that states are "miniature nations?" Palin had therefore gotten to "practice President" as a Governor.

Obama...got to talk and to vote, and how many times was he absent in his voting? gotta look that up.
Not even close! Have you ever been to Alaska? Miniature nations? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 06:58 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not even close! Have you ever been to Alaska? Miniature nations? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Katiana, stop embarassing yourself, gal!

EVERY one of the 50 states of our nation are run like miniature nations. I was talking about the manner in which they do business....having a governor that's like a president.

Having a national guard that's like a military force.
Having a legislative Branch that, just like our nation has a Senate and A House of Reps.
Having budgets to meet, etc. etc....

However, Alaska being the opposite of "miniature" in size...okay, one "LOL" isn't so embarassing for ya.

Gal, you're talking to a Native Texan.....I'm not likely to mistaken a large state for miniature.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:04 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
How could you possibly know this, other than by sheer magical thinking. From what I've read, the earliest advocates of going after Iraq in the wake of 9/11 were Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz. At the Camp David meeting on Sept 15 Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz presented briefings that included Iraq as a focus, including Saddam's open letter to the American people, which Wolfowitz saw as a veiled threat.

There were plenty of other voices contemplating Iraq--Richard Perle, Douglas Feith in particular. And non-admin people such as Princeton prof Bernard Lewis. Even Colin Powell and Richard Armitage were in favor of eventually going to Iraq, but just disagreed with the timing, according to Armitage. They would have preferred to wait until after the 2004 election. I don't know how you can single out Cheney and put all the onus on him.

Cheney had been a major voice against going to Baghdad in Desert Storm. He thought that the Iraqis themselves would get rid of Saddam and considered that a preferable solution. He changed his mind over the years when that never happened, but even so it was mainly Rumsfeld, not Cheney, who argued for going to Iraq after 9/11. Rumsfelds' thesis was that the US needed to put on a massive demonstration of force.
Cheney picked Rumsfeld for the job of SecDef. Cheney also secured Wolfowitz a job in the administration .. SecDef was originally considered for him, but he does not have good organizational skills, so they found him an undersecretary job. Besides that though, I wasn't blaming the entire war on Cheney .. I was making the point that had Cheney not been president on 9/11, we wouldn't have gone to war with Iraq.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Katiana, stop embarassing yourself, gal!

EVERY one of the 50 states of our nation are run like miniature nations. I was talking about the manner in which they do business....having a governor that's like a president.

Having a national guard that's like a military force.
Having a legislative Branch that, just like our nation has a Senate and A House of Reps.
Having budgets to meet, etc. etc....

However, Alaska being the opposite of "miniature" in size...okay, one "LOL" isn't so embarassing for ya.

Gal, you're talking to a Native Texan.....I'm not likely to mistaken a large state for miniature.
Maybe you should quit embarrassing yourself with this faux embarassment for me. Alaska's population is ~700,000 people. There are 17 cities in the US with bigger populations than the entire state of Alaska. Being the "CEO" of this state is not much.

And of course, Sarah couldn't talk about the national guard when asked for her foreign policy experience. She probably didn't know she was the CIC of the Alaska Nat. Guard. She had to talk about being able to see Russia from parts of AK.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
She probably did help him with the radical, completely uninformed wing of the Republican base, but she didn't make him look better to most people. What she did was make him look like a man who can't be trusted to make good decisions. She made his campaign look desperate and like, despite that "Country First" slogan, it was really all about McCain first, with the good of the nation hardly a consideration at all.

She also took away the one argument McCain had against Obama - experience.
She doesn't have to appeal to Democrats, so that argument is irrelevant.

You must not assume, the average voters is like you. And that includes moderates, and liberals. The average voter, no matter what political view they have, is uninformed.There could be many moderates, who voted for McCain, because he had Palin. Not just radicals.

What if she wasn't dumb, would she be a horrible choice then? She did make the ticket less boring, or else we would just have seen an old grumpy man. That is why I said she helped and hurt McCain.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:05 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Just pondering. What happened to John McCain in 2008?

Sure, there was Palin, and that was boneheaded, but as someone who has admired McCain for decades, I was glad he had a shot in 2008 after getting slimed shamefully by Karl Rove in 2000. He seemed a real American hero, who had intellectual independence and real leadership credibility. So, I was amazed at how ungracious he was in the debates in 2008. The guy looked pissed off all the time, gripping the lecturn, and he would not look Obama in the eye. Obama, in contrast, was quite friendly and seemed much more relaxed. Kind of surprising, because McCain is known for being a very witty and charming guy, and I cannot imagine he had anything against Obama personally.

I figured we would get a GOP person from 2000-2008, and I think McCain would have been light years better than W, but after W, noone wanted to continue on the same track. A bit sad for him, but the 2008 behavior made me question my earlier more positive impressions.

What do you all think?
Well I followed Mccain until Palin and then the rest was history.
That changed my view of him forever.

Yes, I truely believe Palin ruined any chance for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies