Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should social issues be regulated by government?
Yes 7 10.00%
No 63 90.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:09 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Here is a simple test...

1) Do you believe in the freedom of religion?

2) Do you think the US Government should force you to follow Sharia Law or any other foreign religious law?

3) Then why do you think the US Government should force you to follow Christian law?

4) Is it the Government's job to make people into Christians? If so, then where is the freedom of religion?

5) Should a person be allowed to choose whether they sin or not? Did the Christian God not give them that choice?

6) Do you think you are better than the Christian God by taking away that choice?

I go to church and I do see the hypocrisy in it... Most people react with emotions rather than logical thinking... I go to church not for the church but because I think the religion it teaches is a good one, its simply saying that we should all be good people and try to be good people... to lead by example and not by force...
That's pretty simple...
1. Yes
2. No
3. It shouldn't
4. No
5. Yes
6. I wouldn't take away anyones choice

Btw, I'm glad you're happy going to church, but from experience it doesn't teach you one single thing you couldn't learn just from reading a bible, and it doesn't save you so basically the only point it serves is for the manager's business model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Take for example the issue of gay marriage. How this became an issue when 1 in 4 people are unemployed gets me,

You will have to explain how gay marriage has anything to do with 1 in 4 being unemployed.

If you think only Christians want to "tell" you how to act, you haven't grasped that situation.
...I don't think you grasped the situation.

Unemployment is more important than gay marriage. Yes everyone deserves equality and freedom, but I'm far, far more concerned with making sure my bills get paid and I can eat than getting married. My government should be focused on this as well as it's pretty obvious it's more important.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Well with liberals and moderates too...

Why exactly do social issues play into politics? When did we become the 'Land of the Legislators, and home of the oppressed'? Our country was founded upon the freedom to govern ourselves and freedom to worship who or what we want. I don't care if we're 99.9999999% Christian, the 0.0000001% deserve the same rights as everyone else.

Take for example the issue of gay marriage. How this became an issue when 1 in 4 people are unemployed gets me, but even if everyone was working, why is it an issue? The government is already so involved with marriage and divorce Christians can't even call it a religious ceremony. Besides the whole 'ceremonial' thing though, why does anyone have the 'right' to tell someone legally that they can't get into a willing and mutually benefitial agreement as two consenting adults? It would seem to me we're just being looked at as 10 year olds with religious parents who want us to behave the way they expect.

I believe there is a use in having liberalism, conservatism, and moderation...but social issues don't strike me as something that needs control, but instead freedom.

If you get the government into the business of marriage, it then becomes political. Why is government involved in sanctioning marriages in the first place?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,924 times
I looked at the poll results and I'm thinking that there's a lot of hypocrites and liars on this forum. The forum itself tilts heavily right and I'm calling BS that most of them don't want things like gay marriage, abortion and other social issues driven by the government.

Here's a better poll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie
Here is a simple test...

1) Do you believe in the freedom of religion?

2) Do you think the US Government should force you to follow Sharia Law or any other foreign religious law?

3) i. Then why do you think the US Government should force you to follow Christian law?
ii. Why do we now have God on our money when the founding fathers didn't have it there
iii. Why is god included in the pledge if the founding fathers didn't have it there

4) Is it the Government's job to make people into Christians? If so, then where is the freedom of religion? If no, please see above

5) Should Christian values be able to dictate things like the drinking age and what is shown on TV?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:11 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
Your response is typical nowadays of the folks who get their marching orders from the Conservative blogs, Fox and other BS machines. Our country has been in war for ten years and what as a country have we done to sacrifice for the greater good and stability of our nation.......NOTHING> We did not raise taxes, we did not issue war bonds, we did not do anything but sloganeer like idiots and wave our little flags made in China. This is where the Tea Party makes me angry more than embarrassed. All these old chicken-hawks willing to send more poor people off to die or worse, have PTSD and come back and be told by some ignorant F that they are a hero. How patronizing.........

Our Debt is on all of us. Not Obama not Bush but you and me and all of us. We all need to change but that is hard and Way to many people only want either the Poor to get screwed or the blacks or the latinos.......When the Rich are asked to give their fair share for being lucky enough to live in a country that affords them the ability to own ten homes and 20 cars they cry and whine and we let them get away with it..
And your response is typical of the wealth distribution crowd where you think you are entitled to everyone else's hard earned money. I don't know of anyone making >$250K/year who owns 10 houses and 20+ cars. I do know that close to 50% of our population pays no federal income taxes though. I also know that if we continue to spend borrowed money at the rates that we are, we won't have any money for any social programs whatsoever. You should be thanking those evil "rich" taxpayers for funding all your social programs instead of demonizing them on a daily basis. Shame on you.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:40 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
This is why I became a Libertarian.. I still don't agree with everything that the libertarian party professes, but they come a hell of a lot closer than either the dems or reps. . Both parties have completely lost their minds. Neither is a party of smaller government, they both just spend OUR money on different agendas, which are both destructive to the country.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Should social issues be regulated by government?

Is murder a social issue?

Old 03-25-2012, 01:23 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
The rationale behind gay marriage, and domestic partnerships as well, is so simple that it should be obvious to all of us; It extends the protection of the societal "safety net" to more people, and it's another example of the public (most of them on the lower rungs of the economic ladde and the Left side of the political divide) seekiing additional security without addressing the financing to pay for it.

The cost of this idea is growing exponentially as more people live into old age; the only remedies are either the raising of taxes to a confiscatory level similar to that in Europe, or a serious look at entitlement reform. Most of the politicians simply don't have the guts to deliver the hard truth.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-25-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 03-25-2012, 02:04 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Well with liberals and moderates too...

Why exactly do social issues play into politics? When did we become the 'Land of the Legislators, and home of the oppressed'? Our country was founded upon the freedom to govern ourselves and freedom to worship who or what we want. I don't care if we're 99.9999999% Christian, the 0.0000001% deserve the same rights as everyone else.

Take for example the issue of gay marriage. How this became an issue when 1 in 4 people are unemployed gets me, but even if everyone was working, why is it an issue? The government is already so involved with marriage and divorce Christians can't even call it a religious ceremony. Besides the whole 'ceremonial' thing though, why does anyone have the 'right' to tell someone legally that they can't get into a willing and mutually benefitial agreement as two consenting adults? It would seem to me we're just being looked at as 10 year olds with religious parents who want us to behave the way they expect.

I believe there is a use in having liberalism, conservatism, and moderation...but social issues don't strike me as something that needs control, but instead freedom.
You bring up a good point. The types of people who scream about doing what the founding fathers wanted are the types who scream when you talk about taking God off of the currency and pledge.

The problem with conservatism in this country is the religious right. It's all they care about and they skew the right's agenda. There's a reason why Europe was happy to let all of their religious nut jobs leave and emigrate to America back in the day.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:48 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
You bring up a good point. The types of people who scream about doing what the founding fathers wanted are the types who scream when you talk about taking God off of the currency and pledge.

The problem with conservatism in this country is the religious right. It's all they care about and they skew the right's agenda. There's a reason why Europe was happy to let all of their religious nut jobs leave and emigrate to America back in the day.
Hear, Hear!

It's exactl;y why better-educated economic/fiscal conservatives have been deseting the Republican Party for years.

But, Santorum and a few other simpletons notwithstanding, we'll be arouind come November to close ranks against the real threat to individual liberty on the only issue that reaally counts --- Obama and his gang's rape of our economy.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-25-2012 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies