Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should able people who are able to work but refuse to receive any support from the government?
Yes 5 4.50%
No 100 90.09%
Undecided 6 5.41%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:40 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

Well there's always a way out of working if you really put your mind to it.

Man Saws Off, Cooks Own Foot to Avoid Work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
I work to earn money. Why do I need anything from our government?

If our poll is any indication, the answer is a resounding NO.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
It's called prison.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Should able-bodied, able-minded people who do not have any other obligations and nonetheless refuse to work be entitled to a minimal standard of living, by government support if necessary?
Nope. I see it all the time. It burns me up.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why are people only looking for jobs in their area?
Um, maybe cause it's too hard tot move somewhere else to find a job? (AKA income, family, education, etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why haven't they saved up for a rainy day when they were working, and why aren't they spending a few hours/day in a library studying new skills?
Not everyone had the ability to save up and have it last. I was out of work for almost a year before and we zapped our savings pretty fast due to that. When you go from two incomes to one, it goes fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Put them to work for the town. They can plant flowers, pick up trash, paint public buildings, pull weeds on public property, something to improve the quality if life for all and give them something to do.
In our area, that work is for the inmates of the jail. They go out on road crews everyday to clean up and do outside work. You see them all the time on the side of the road mowing, or picking up trash, and in the parks downtown planting and weeding.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:37 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times
Quote:
Interesting that the "no" votes are at 100%.

At least someone here believes that all people, regardless of their will to work, deserve shelter and food?

Deserve? Why would anyone automatically deserve ammenities? We must all earn our keep in this life.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
What about those that try to find a job, but can't (either due to no jobs in their area, or not qualifications for the area, education, etc...)?

They can move. Go to where the jobs are. Branch out. Be willing to adjust.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
1) Maybe they don't have money and can't afford to move?

2) Maybe they're unskilled?

Victim drivel. Seriously, I have been pretty poor before, and I never, ever just sat down and said, "Oh well, I don't have any skills...Oh well, I don't have any money..."

There are options for everyone, but we have to care enough to look for them.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:48 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Should able-bodied, able-minded people who do not have any other obligations and nonetheless refuse to work be entitled to a minimal standard of living, by government support if necessary?
The title should read "other people's money". The government has no money of their own.

And no, someone that can, but chooses not to work, should NOT get MY money.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Savings can disappear very quickly, even if you have quite a bit saved up and have no income to replenish it.

As for the library, you can 'learn' all you want, without proof of learning it (aka, a degree, certification etc.) then you really don't have a chance to prove it. I can go to the library and study helicopter mechanics all day long, but if I don't have the certification nobody is going to hire me as a mechanic.

I'm currently unemployed and I spend a large majority of the day learning new skills and updating my current ones so when the opportunity presents itself (this fall, hopefully) to get new certifications, I can go into the program fresh and ready to go.

I'm not saying it's impossible or that people shouldn't try, but it's not as easy as reading a few books and then *poof* you get a good job.
I don't believe there was anything referenced about it being "easy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies