U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Studio City, CA
32 posts, read 23,196 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
If 50% white and 50% hispanic equals a white person
that's kinda like "mixing" 1/2 white with 1/2 irish and then wondering why you won't get anything other than "white irish" (if that makes any sense whatsoever)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 AM
 
16,318 posts, read 9,435,664 times
Reputation: 6228
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
If 50% white and 50% hispanic equals a white person, then why does obamas 50% white and 50% black does not equal being a white as well?

seems kind of racist to me sticking someone into a race that they might or might not identify with.
Because if one believes in that old, simplistic race theory where 'white' is one race, then there are only two other races, namely Asians and Blacks. So, if one is to attribute Hispanics to one of those three races, it would be the white one in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 AM
 
17,230 posts, read 5,141,566 times
Reputation: 3650
I think some people need to stop worrying so much about such unimportant things such as what someones race is and start paying more attention the actual person, since it is only what is inside that counts. People will identify with whatever race they chose to, it is not up to others to make such determinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
30,992 posts, read 12,998,784 times
Reputation: 10990
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Then I guess the MSM is full of extremists and fanatics, because they are obsessed with race, especially if it makes for high ratings.
MSM, "non-MSM", bloggers... they're selling a product. Its the buyers that fuel that cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 AM
 
Location: South FL
5,119 posts, read 3,981,138 times
Reputation: 3118
If you're saying this because of Zimmerman, then you're wrong in this case. His mother is Peruvian. Native blood is stronger than the person of European ancestry.

Ask any random person if he's White or Latino, .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 AM
 
16,318 posts, read 9,435,664 times
Reputation: 6228
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
If you're saying this because of Zimmerman, then you're wrong in this case. His mother is Peruvian. Native blood is stronger than the person of European ancestry.

Ask any random person if he's White or Latino, .
Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 01:06 PM
 
5,362 posts, read 1,602,467 times
Reputation: 3172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why is that?
Because European genes are recessive. They are rarely expressed when mixed with the genes of other races.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM
 
25,192 posts, read 8,131,211 times
Reputation: 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
LOL.

I've often wondered if I have a drop of black blood in me. I have pretty good rhythm.
Yea....that's a sure sign that you have 1/16 black blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM
 
25,192 posts, read 8,131,211 times
Reputation: 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes but hispanics can't have it both ways. They want their affirmative action, free college because of their race. The notion of a hispanic race only came after affirmative action so they could get in on quotas and lots of financial aid.
That's nonsense Mal...come on. They don't want preferential treatment anymore than whites, blacks, or anyone else.

Besides, who DOESN'T want free college if they can get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 PM
 
25,192 posts, read 8,131,211 times
Reputation: 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My great grandmother was 1/2 Cherokee so how does this go? Grandfather 1/4 Cherokee and his skin was white as chalk. My dad would be 1/8 Cherokee and he tanned Red. Does this make me 1/16 Cherokee because if I can prove that, I would be allowed to get profit from the casino's in Western North Carolina. I think that day has passed though and I really have no interest in doing that. I understand the records are there in Ashe County, North Carolina and a lot of my relatives are gaining the profits. I was a teenager the first time I visited the Cherokee Indian Reservation in North Carolina. It did not take me long to realize that I look more like the Cherokee's than some shop owners on the reservation.

Do the Cheek and Cherokee tribes like each other? Are we friends? I appreciate the information. I found out the 1/4 rule, I think, when I went looking for whether I should be considered white or Cherokee. I believe the 1/4 was from the U. S. Census rule. My grandfather was considered white, although by the census rules he should have been American Indian. Most records from that time are from family Bible entries.

I consider myself an all-American lady. Put my American Indian with the English Royal family, Scotch-Irish, German and what could I be except all-American. Well, possibly black with the one drop law. I am still searching for my grandfather's dad and have found several people with his name and some of them were mulatto. I may have to do the DNA test to find out which one he is; the mulatto dentist in Greensboro or the white man in the Tennessee prison? I love genealogy and have discovered so much by researching.

This is why I get a kick out of those on here that call me racist. Well, I do find Italians a little strange. I am not by any stretch of the imagination a racist. I am just realistic in the way I think. My opinion is that black people (or anyone else that does it) need to stop celebrating their skin color or race and join the rest of the American people as I have. All American citizens are just Americans (that is the state department term for everyone that is a citizen) and need to stop these immature divisions. Just know that if you are here, it is because this is where God wants you to be and stop blaming the people of the past for bringing your ancestors here and thank God that they did. I watched the program "Who do you think you are" and one black man went back to the "old" country and found that the people there where his family started out were still selling children into slavery. He didn't say it, but from his expression, I gathered he felt grateful that he lives right now where he lives. I love this country with all its faults.

But anyone that was born in America is not an immigrant. If you were born in the United States of America that makes you a native, not an immigrant. And since we have more people born here than immigrants, we are NOT a nation of immigrants. End of discussion!
LOL...what's with white folks' obsession with wanting to be Indian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:15 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top