Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Extremists, fanatics do.
Are you calling anyone who supports affirmative action an extremist?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 12:18 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Because European genes are recessive. They are rarely expressed when mixed with the genes of other races.
I don't think that is the case. It might appear that way to whites as, frankly, many of them still have that odd idea of what a white person must look like to be considered a pure white so to speak. And if that checklist of white characteristics is not complete, the person is considered whatever but white.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Extremists, fanatics do.
Yeah, like the mainstream media.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...what's with white folks' obsession with wanting to be Indian?
It's just a new age "cool" thing. Kind of like White people with Afros in the 70's wanting to be something their not. It will be something else next year. White people are so impressionable.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
It's just a new age "cool" thing. Kind of like White people with Afros in the 70's wanting to be something their not. It will be something else next year. White people are so impressionable.
Few whites wore Afros as such, people simply wore way longer hair in the 70s, and in the case of whites with naturally curly hair, the result was often a kind of natural Afro.

And today most AA women straighten their hair as if they were white.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:42 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Interesting that if you have kids from a 1/2 white, 1/2 black relationship - the kids are considered black.

The Zimmerman case goes against the norm.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Are you calling anyone who supports affirmative action an extremist?

As of now, yes! I think there was a time for it, but it can't go on forever.

Sorry to break the bubble, if you thought that you had a refuge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Interesting that if you have kids from a 1/2 white, 1/2 black relationship - the kids are considered black.
Isn't Obama considered by y'all? Wait... he is Kenyan!

BTW, I wonder how "Caucasian/White" came to define a segment of people. Got ideas? After all, what was wrong with just "Caucasian"? It almost sounds like a bunch of idiots went on to add shades for some reason. I wonder what that could be.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

The Zimmerman case goes against the norm.
Those are two TOTALLY different situations.

My own son has a white mother, but considers himself a black man with a white mother. He completely identifies with being black, and is lukewarm at the notion of being part white although he won't deny his mother or heritage from her side if asked about it.

Take Charlie Sheen. Hispanic dad and non-Hispanic mother. He surely considers himself a white man. One can have two Hispanic parents and be considered white. If Marco Rubio were to meet me and NOT tell me that he's a Latino, i wouldn't be the wiser unless i he told me his last name.

A child of white/black heritage has no such luxury in 90% of the cases.

So yea, it may go against the norm as you say, but it's not close to being the same thing.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
cream in coffee does not
turn it white but brown,
genius.

hispanic is a culture, not a race.

spain is in europe: the white continent.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Because European genes are recessive. They are rarely expressed when mixed with the genes of other races.
I don't know about that. Blake Griffin, Shane Battier, Shaka Smart, Soledad O'Brien, and Jason Kidd are all half White and half Black and they don't really look Black to me. Vanessa Williams is supposedly "Black" but her European features are quite prominent. All the mixed White people I have met don't really look White but they don't really look like the non-White race either. In any case, the One Drop Rule is really really dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies