U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 PM

30,878 posts, read 12,011,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I don't know about that. Shane Battier, Shaka Smart, Soledad O'Brien, and Jason Kidd are all half White and half Black and they don't really look Black to me. Vanessa Williams is supposedly "Black" but her European features are quite prominent. All the mixed White people I have met don't really look White but they don't really look like the non-White race either. In any case, the One Drop Rule is really really dumb.
I've always considered that there are colored people, and then there are translucent people. Many whites, including most in my family, belong in the former. We do have some nuttiness that belongs in the latter, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 02:02 PM

9,856 posts, read 7,309,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
As of now, yes! I think there was a time for it, but it can't go on forever.

Sorry to break the bubble, if you thought that you had a refuge.

You and I actually agree for once then.

This just surprised me...I expected a different answer from you.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:06 PM

6,089 posts, read 3,409,532 times
^ it wasn't dumb to the slave-traders tho,
so what's the confusion? u got blacks and
hispanics in your family?

lol..

Old 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM

1,044 posts, read 970,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
They chose to use white because it helps raise racial tensions and helps the cause of the race hustlers.
Precisely.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:12 PM

18,428 posts, read 6,634,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
If 50% white and 50% hispanic equals a white person, then why does obamas 50% white and 50% black does not equal being a white as well?

seems kind of racist to me sticking someone into a race that they might or might not identify with.
If the left called him "hispanic" it would ruin the narrative.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM

^ he's is white tho; a white hispanic.

no brainer guy!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:31 PM

23,804 posts, read 7,105,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I don't know about that. Blake Griffin, Shane Battier, Shaka Smart, Soledad O'Brien, and Jason Kidd are all half White and half Black and they don't really look Black to me. Vanessa Williams is supposedly "Black" but her European features are quite prominent. All the mixed White people I have met don't really look White but they don't really look like the non-White race either. In any case, the One Drop Rule is really really dumb.
Shaka Smart and Shane Battier look black to me.

In any case, what difference does it make? The one drop rule IS dumb...i agree. But then, blacks didn't invent it. Those that think it's so stupid should question those that came up with it.

Mixed black/white people are under no obligation to call themselves black, and many don't. Mariah Carey doesn't say she's black, neither does Derek Jeter. They seem to be going about their lives just fine. This idea that blacks enforce the one drop thing on other blacks is ridiculous. Blacks are simply caught up in the paradigm that was invented by whites, and so they go along with the ruse. But it's stupid and i don't mind saying so.

Still, i'm not about to lose sleep over the issue. I just don't know what skin in the game that white people have at this point. Why do they care about what someone identifies themselves as?

Old 03-27-2012, 02:36 PM

many darkskin people just consider
you red or yellow if you are lightskin,
but it is not derogatory. where have
ya been lol?

smh...

Old 03-27-2012, 02:38 PM

7,983 posts, read 9,567,577 times
As a 1/2 white (Irish/Welsh) and 1/2 Mexican person, I'll assert that I can be white and Hispanic at the same time .

Old 03-27-2012, 02:40 PM

it's easier for white people to
accept you as just another
white person if you have that
stringy hair like them, but if
your hair is the least bit nappy,
oh hail no lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies