Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

Ever resort complains about tourists but still manages to take the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:44 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The tourists come, spend money, boost the economy, and leave. I wish we could say the same for the Mexicans.....
Mexicans don't buy products in the US? They don't allow your beloved private sector corporations to maximize profits by paying them peanuts?
Take away cheap immigrant labor and our economy would take a major hit.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
Haha, eastern europeans on holiday look like Russian mafioso.

Maybe its different now theyre all richer, but when i used to do beach holidays all the Eastern europeans were fat bald/shaven headed heavily built sunburnt men with massive gold chains and tiny little women hanging off their arms. Its quite funny that so many live up to the stereotype. Something like this...

What stereotypes do you people have of Brits abroad?
The british stereotypes of Germans abroad is that they all get up a 4am to steal the beach chairs by putting their towels on them, then going back to bed for another 6 hours.
The worst British tourist stereotypes I've seen are the p--s drunk blokes and trashy women cavorting around Southern Spain and the Greek Isles or Eastern European cities on 'oliday. Blond women completely s--tfaced by mid-afternoon stumbling all over anyone who would drag them home. Seriously, when I've been around the Med, it's always the Brits who seem like they can't hold they liquor or have a few pints too many. I was in Agadir, a tourist beach resort, while traveling around Morocco once--and they place was packed full of drunken Brits wandering from the fake Irish Pub to the disco--where their drunkeness was more apparent considering that the locals hardly drink at all if they do even at a disco.

That being said, I've also met a lot of great folks from the UK while traveling, especially in more remote locales, some of whom I'm still friends with. I'm just refering to the package tourists out for a drinking vacation on the beach in the above paragraph. In general a lot of nations have bad reputations with mass tourism locations.

Last edited by Deezus; 03-27-2012 at 11:33 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Ever resort complains about tourists but still manages to take the money.
The people doing the complaining in the article seem to mostly be from Mexico City, not residents of Cancun. It's basically like if you had an article from people in New York claiming they found spring break in Florida to be crass. Makes sense considering Mexico City is a much more urban and cosmopilitan city than a place like Cancun. When I've been to the Yucatan, I avoid Cancun like the plague--it's as generic as your average American mall at this point and there is nicer beaches to the south.

Then again--no one read the article most likely and this thread will devolve into a debate on illegal immigrants.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:53 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
Don't be such an ignorant fool. Study history.....Start with the Mexican American war.

And Russia is not Europe by the way......
You're wrong.
European Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
European Russia
Is Russia in Europe or Asia?

110,000,000 Russians live in the European part, separated from the Asia part by the Ural mountains.

Don't let facts stop you, though.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The people doing the complaining in the article seem to mostly be from Mexico City, not residents of Cancun. It's basically like if you had an article from people in New York claiming they found spring break in Florida to be crass. Makes sense considering Mexico City is a much more urban and cosmopilitan city than a place like Cancun. When I've been to the Yucatan, I avoid Cancun like the plague--it's as generic as your average American mall at this point and there is nicer beaches to the south.

Then again--no one read the article most likely and this thread will devolve into a debate on illegal immigrants.
Agree.

In the Yucatan, Tulum is worth the drive for a more authentic feel. Very few large resort hotels. Had such a good time there. Akumal just a bit north has excellent snorkeling. Cenotes everywhere make excellent swimming and cave snorkelling as well. A guide told us to stay away from the fake disneyland like ecoparks, but if I had kids I could see them being a good alternative.

Playa del Carmen is known as the "gringo paradise" (Euro and Americans), but is not as bad as Cancun, where the airport has ads for "Outback Steakhouse Cancun!" Really? Fly all the way to Mexico for a Bloomin' onion?!

One of the best meals I had was at a little restaurant in the Tulum Pueblo run by Mexican version of Big Mama... 2 meals, big portions, AND 2 Coca Cola lites... 100 pesos!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Spain? Russia?

Wait... they're European.....

"Natural inhabitants"? WTF does that mean?

What are kids learning in schools these days?!

That's what happens when liberals take over control of education.

We're supposed to feel bad for history.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 PM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonareaweathersummary View Post
haha, eastern europeans on holiday look like russian mafioso.

Maybe its different now theyre all richer, but when i used to do beach holidays all the eastern europeans were fat bald/shaven headed heavily built sunburnt men with massive gold chains and tiny little women hanging off their arms. Its quite funny that so many live up to the stereotype. Something like this...

where are the tiny little women!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Interesting.....As an American, it's pretty sad what's become of California. It's ridiculous how California doesn't even feel like America anymore. Although geographically it is on the map, everyone speaks Spanish and you feel like you're in a hell hole in Mexico.

The tourists come, spend money, boost the economy, and leave. I wish we could say the same for the Mexicans.....

8 Things That Suck About Spring Breakers In Cancun, According To Mexicans (PHOTOS)
Oh well. I spend quite a bit of time in California....doesn't feel any different to me than it did when i lived there over 30 years ago. Feels like America to me. Most people i met spoke English too.

Don't know what part of the state you were hanging out in. Next time, find a hotel outside of East L.A.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Agree.

In the Yucatan, Tulum is worth the drive for a more authentic feel. Very few large resort hotels. Had such a good time there. Akumal just a bit north has excellent snorkeling. Cenotes everywhere make excellent swimming and cave snorkelling as well. A guide told us to stay away from the fake disneyland like ecoparks, but if I had kids I could see them being a good alternative.

Playa del Carmen is known as the "gringo paradise" (Euro and Americans), but is not as bad as Cancun, where the airport has ads for "Outback Steakhouse Cancun!" Really? Fly all the way to Mexico for a Bloomin' onion?!

One of the best meals I had was at a little restaurant in the Tulum Pueblo run by Mexican version of Big Mama... 2 meals, big portions, AND 2 Coca Cola lites... 100 pesos!
Cancun is uber cheesy, lots of tacky tourists who act like they have never drank before. My idea of a vacation is not hanging out at TGI Friday's with a bunch of drunk suburbanites dancing on the tables while jamming to ACDC or Katy Perry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies