Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
For what it's worth nobody really likes tourists even if you're making money off of them. I know I never did.
Bingo. I used to live in a tourist town (South Lake Tahoe), and we b*itched about them plenty!! There was even a saying - "Flatlanders go home." We appreciated the boost to our economy, and fully understood the town would collapse without them... but all of that was forgotten when I was trying to get to work, and had to fight my way through thousands of "flatlanders" who couldn't even navigate a 1/2" of snow in an SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if you are in that area, why not ask her what does she think will happen to the unemployment rate if all the tourists left to go someplace else.
Halo.... that shouldn't even matter. the us not going pay their unemployment. I can tell you what they will do..... =0) migrate to the US get tons of below minimum waged jobs that no one else will work.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
The tourists come, spend money, boost the economy, and leave. I wish we could say the same for the Mexicans.....

8 Things That Suck About Spring Breakers In Cancun, According To Mexicans (PHOTOS)

too funny, do ya think the native americans feel the same way about you?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:32 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
im mexican and kind of confused by this post. cancun was never really a mexican resort, it was always geared towards international tourists.

young tourists are generally annoying regardless of nationality. just go to ibiza for example. in thailand i really hate the russian and indian tourists.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Well...if you want to play that game...it belongs to the aboriginal Americans.
there weren't that many native americans in california when the mexicans controlled it, 10,000-100,000 depending on the study, smaller than suburbs of small cities in california nowadays. weren't many spanish either, a few thousand maybe. no one really made use of california until the US took over. surprising really considering it's basically the most ideal place for human habitation in the americas.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
It was in reference to over all education.

And I am sure you could travel back in time and ask some ranchers and families in Texas, and the rest of the SW how the war ended for them they would not say it was "really Successful"

If you are using economic prosperity as your guide then slavery was really successful as well.
Keep dreaming, if Calif. was still part of Mexico it would look like a northern version of TJ with all the problems it has.

AND you would still have Illegal Mexicans streaming over the borders to parasite off the US taxpayers in the 49 other states still left.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 PM

i dont think theres any situation where the US wouldn't have eventually taken over california. even if there wasn't the war of 1847, mexico still prolly would have sold california to the US as part of a debt relief deal of something. mexico wasn't in good shape at that time and like i said they weren't even using california for anything. too bad the US only took over half of california, IMO

Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,372 times
Cancun sucks, it's the Mexican version of Vegas, minus the gambling, all the cheese and half the glitter.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Cancun sucks, it's the Mexican version of Vegas, minus the gambling, all the cheese and half the glitter.
I've been to Cancun, and would completely agree with that! Of all the (many) towns in Mexico I've visited, it would probably rank at the bottom - even lower than Tijuana, since at least you'll find some "authenticity" there. Cancun, on the other hand, is basically just a tourist trap for dumb foreigners (mostly Americans) who are afraid to go anywhere else in Mexico.

For the record, I only went there because it was a stop on a cruise... we also went to Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, and a few other MUCH nicer places along the coast. I literally spent like 2-3 hours on land in Cancun, before deciding I'd have more fun staying on the boat all night.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 PM

i dont think international tourists going to cancun are looking for "authentic" mexico, i think theyre looking for a standard beach party town. nothing wrong w cancun if thats what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies