Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:05 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Maybe you do, but I don't get my facts or education from television shows.
I didn't want to throw anything to difficult out there considering the nonsensical posts people have posted on this board about the subject. It's pretty realistic you know, ripped from the headlines and all.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
The lead homicide investigator in the shooting of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin recommended that neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman be charged with manslaughter the night of the shooting, multiple sources told ABC News.

But Sanford, Fla., Investigator Chris Serino was instructed to not press charges against Zimmerman because the state attorney's office headed by Norman Wolfinger determined there wasn't enough evidence to lead to a conviction, the sources told ABC News.

Police brought Zimmerman into the station for questioning for a few hours on the night of the shooting, said Zimmerman's attorney, despite his request for medical attention first. Ultimately they had to accept Zimmerman's claim of self defense. He was never charged with a crime.

Serino filed an affidavit on Feb. 26, the night that Martin was shot and killed by Zimmerman, that stated he was unconvinced Zimmerman's version of events.
1) Why was the state attorney general's office involved the very night of the shooting? I would have expected this to be handled at the city/county level before bringing the state into it.

2) If the state attorney general's office says there was insufficient evidence to arrest Zimmerman, why is Z and the local PD under attack? Why not the AG?

3) Why was Zimmerman denied medical attention before being questioned by police? Is it common for police to question suspects with head injuries (presumably w/o a lawyer present, AFAIK) and to deny them medical attention?

4) "Police brought Zimmerman into the station for questioning for a few hours on the night of the shooting". So what's with all the claims that Zimmerman was never even questioned?

5) Why did the investigator think Zimmerman should be arrested? The article forgot to mention that...

This article does more to exonerate Zimmerman than to add evidence to his guilt. Reporting on this whole case has been terrible...is the media a dumping ground for the otherwise unemployable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
ever heard of google searches???????
Yeppers. But considering that the thread is about a link the OP published, it would make no sense for me to search for, find and link to a (potentially) different article.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 03-27-2012 at 02:49 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
true...

Old 03-27-2012, 02:24 PM

32,098 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Thankfully homocide detectives are not the deciding factor in who gets charged and who doesn't. There's a reason that legal jurisprudence is put in place...... to protect people from rogue investigators.
"Probable cause" does not mean iron clad evidence of guilt. I think you're really stuck on this "you can't arrest someone unless they're unequivocally guilty" kick.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:27 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
"Probable cause" does not mean iron clad evidence of guilt. I think you're really stuck on this "you can't arrest someone unless they're unequivocally guilty" kick.
The criteria for arresting someone is not the same as convicting them. I thought this was common knowledge, guess not

Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Exactly right. And the prosecutor determined that there wasn't enough probable cause to press forward with actual charges. Arresting Zimmerman on probable cause and deciding to charge him are two different issues. Could he have been arrested on probable cause? Maybe. But the point here is that the prosecutor deemed a lack of evidence to convict. Which makes a probable cause arrest a moot point.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:40 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Watch a couple episodes of Lae & Order the detectives always want to arrest somebody but the DA steps in tells them to let them go if there is not enough evidence.
"The First 48 Hours" and "Law and Order" is what makes you an expert on law? I recommend that you watch CSI Miami seeing as how it's filmed in Florida. I watch ER and I know how to do heart surgery.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
It is nice to see there is at least one honest member of the Sanford pd. Hopefully, he'll end up employed in a town or city not rife with racial trouble, as Sanford has repeatedly been.

It was amusing that a poster gets his info on police procedure via tv shows. Duh!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
"The First 48 Hours" and "Law and Order" is what makes you an expert on law? I recommend that you watch CSI Miami seeing as how it's filmed in Florida. I watch ER and I know how to do heart surgery.
The First 48 is real, not fiction.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:45 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Thankfully homocide detectives are not the deciding factor in who gets charged and who doesn't. There's a reason that legal jurisprudence is put in place...... to protect people from rogue investigators.

Watch The First 48 sometime and you'll see how little input they have beyond the investigation.

That is the most racist show I have ever seen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies