Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times

Advertisements

Shaking hands is pretty gross no matter who it is....who knows where that hand has been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
#2 - I shake any candidates hand...even if it's someone like David Duke or Alan Keyes.
You are putting those two in the same sentence?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
What dd said. That's what civilized people do. I think most reasonable people in real life would do the same. The internet is just a cover for cowardly people claiming to be internet tough. Sh*t, most of you would crap your pants if President Obama walked into your place of work right now.
Of course they would, because the President has gravitas. I was lucky enough to be in the same room with Ronald Reagan once, and that man had presence. I didn't agree with him on a single issue, but he was the Gipper...and my Commander in Chief at the time. I'm still proud that i served under him even though i didn't vote for him.

So obviously, if the President walks into a room, he's carrying the office into the room with him. That's power that you can't even articulate, but you can feel it if you're there. You've gotta respect that. We've got 300 million people in this country and only one man can occupy that office at a time. You've gotta respect anyone that can climb that high no matter what side of the aisle you're on.

So yea, all of this internet woofing that these clowns are doing is all bullsh*t. These dudes wouldn't throw a grape in a food fight, but they talk loud around here. They're gonna shake his hand regardless of what they say.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'll shake any man's hand that approaches me in a respectful manner....and i mean ANYONE regardless of his personal philosophy.

That's what civilized people do. Those that wouldn't do that are dumbass troglodytes with no home training.
I bumped into Sen. Robert Dole at the Republican National Convention a few years ago (don't ask! won't tell! ), and he made a point to shake my hand and speak with me for about 10 minutes. I was very surprised, to say the least, but also very impressed.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Of course they would, because the President has gravitas. I was lucky enough to be in the same room with Ronald Reagan once, and that man had presence. I didn't agree with him on a single issue, but he was the Gipper...and my Commander in Chief at the time. I'm still proud that i served under him even though i didn't vote for him.

So obviously, if the President walks into a room, he's carrying the office into the room with him. That's power that you can't even articulate, but you can feel it if you're there. You've gotta respect that. We've got 300 million people in this country and only one man can occupy that office at a time. You've gotta respect anyone that can climb that high no matter what side of the aisle you're on.

So yea, all of this internet woofing that these clowns are doing is all bullsh*t. These dudes wouldn't throw a grape in a food fight, but they talk loud around here. They're gonna shake his hand regardless of what they say.
I've met President Obama personally and have been in the same room with President Clinton. Both had charisma, gravitas and presence.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I bumped into Sen. Robert Dole at the Republican National Convention a few years ago (don't ask! won't tell! ), and he made a point to shake my hand and speak with me for about 10 minutes. I was very surprised, to say the least, but also very impressed.
Always did like Bob Dole myself. No, didn't vote for him because he came off as a dour old coot and his views were in direct contravention to mine, but still. Compared to today's Republicans, i wish Congress was full of Bob Dole's. I think he's personable and reasonable looking back.

Repub convention? Okaaaaaaaaay....i won't ask!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 PM

994 posts, read 725,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
As a gauge of how you personally feel about this year's presidential candidates, either for their political positions, their personality, or whatever quality you decide on - of the 2012 presidential candidates, those running now or those who ran but dropped out - how would you rate your desire and likelihood of shaking their hand if you had the chance?

0 - I would refuse to shake his/her hand.
1 - I'd shake hands, but unenthusiastically and just out of politeness.
2 - I'd shake hands and view candidate just like anyone else I'd shake hands with as a friendly gesture.
3 - I'd happily shake hands and look forward to it.
4 - I'd enthusiastically shake hands and give him/her a back slap or hug (or at least feel like it!)

Feel free to rate any or all of the candidates.
Obama, Cain, Paul - 0
Gingrich, Romney - 1
Bachmann, Huntsman - 2
Santorum, Perry - 3

Obama - obviously one of the worst presidents in history

Paul would be a 4 domestically but I can't abide someone who would abandon Israel and leave us with no allies in the middle east, that's a complete dealbreaker for me

Cain - would have been a 3 or 4 until the scandal

Gingrich, Romney - Repulican progressives, only barely better than Obama

Bachmann - Dropped from 3 to 2 over her obsession with vaccination

Huntsman - Never did know much about him, give him a neutral score

Santorum - my current pick for President

Perry - Dropped from 4 to 3 over immigration, but still would have been my pick if he hadn't dropped out

Old 03-28-2012, 12:57 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
I would rather shake both of their hands at the same time and then take a quick step back..that way I'll be sure they didn't pickpocket my wallet,pocket knife,truck keys and all my loose change....you know them freaking politicians..worse than old school Gypsies.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:58 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
As a gauge of how you personally feel about this year's presidential candidates, either for their political positions, their personality, or whatever quality you decide on - of the 2012 presidential candidates, those running now or those who ran but dropped out - how would you rate your desire and likelihood of shaking their hand if you had the chance?

0 - I would refuse to shake his/her hand.
1 - I'd shake hands, but unenthusiastically and just out of politeness.
2 - I'd shake hands and view candidate just like anyone else I'd shake hands with as a friendly gesture.
3 - I'd happily shake hands and look forward to it.
4 - I'd enthusiastically shake hands and give him/her a back slap or hug (or at least feel like it!)

Feel free to rate any or all of the candidates.
This is a nutjob republican fad to disrespect people simply because they aren't as nuts as they are. I would shake hands and show respect to any political candidate. That is what being an American is all about, being able to disagree and be productive citizens at the same time.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:00 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is a nutjob republican fad to disrespect people simply because they aren't as nuts as you are. I would shake hands and show respect to any political candidate. That is what being an American is all about, being able to disagree and be productive citizens at the same time.
I'm a registered Republican, perhaps you would like to go back and read my answer. I said nothing about being disrespectful just because I don't like the candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies