Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Except for exceptional circumstances, like being 70 and having 3 types of cancer, health insurance is available and affordable. I have shopped around for the hell of it using several different states for comparison and all of the plans were quite affordable. (ie. $80-250 month). Is it the best insurance on the planet? Not neccessarily, but with out of pocket maximums, it's much better than nothing.

Are there exceptions? Of course. But I don't buy the whole "its not affordable" argument. It's all about priorities. If insurance costs $250 per month, and you really need health insurance, then you prioritize your spending accordingly.

Millions of American's don't even know how to budget. That they also don't understand their priorities is of no concern to me.

www.ehealthinsurance.com (See for yourself)
You do not know what you are talking about.
My husband and I each have coverage through our employers, which is very affordable. However, we have been in situations where we needed to buy insurance, not through an employer, and were denied coverage.
Without coverage through an employer, we are not able to buy coverage at any price. Certainly not any price we could afford.
Keep in mind, we are in our 60's and very fit, with the help of a few very common medications, such as blood pressure medicine.
Yet, a person who ignores health issues, which we do not, and therefore does not have a medical history, is deemed more insurable than we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
But Desert! You're supposed to have PRIORITIES! My goodness. Knock off with the food and mortgage and clothing and car payments and gasoline and paying the electric bill and all that yucky stuff you're piddling away your money on and get your priorities in order.

Actually, you hit the nail on the head. If you NEED health insurance (who doesn't), then you should keep those costs in mind when spending on other life events. Right? It sounds like you're one of those people with screwed up priorities.....everything else (mortgages, car payments, etc) comes before your health. Why ignore health insurance if it's an important aspect of your life?

Budgets and priorities matter. That's exactly the point of the OP.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Tell that to the millions of people without insurance, many whom cannot afford it or have conditions which cause their exclusion. A rather naive perspective, in the OP.
Why is it unaffordable? Screwed up priorities? Screwed up lives? What gives?

Old 03-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
The OP doesn't live in the real world or is just mindlessly spewing right wing talking points.

$250 a month is not even close to what the average person is going to have to spend for health insurance. If you have a spouse, children or any preexisting conditions that amount is not even close to accurate.

However, even if $250 a month health insurance was not just a fantasy how is someone with a couple of kids that earns minimum wage supposed to afford even that? I will never understand how some people can have so little compassion for the less fortunate that they don't even seem human anymore.
How much did your quote come about to be on www.ehealthinsurance.com.... Until you can give me a valid idea based on real world calculations, your point is rather moot.

More importantly, why is someone working for minimum wage having a kid....much less 2 kids?

Old 03-28-2012, 03:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Amen. Health Care expenditures should be budgeted ahead of whether you want a 4,000 sq ft house instead of 3,500 sq ft. Ahead of that 40k car you are dreaming about.

If you want other peoples wallets to treat it like your #1, start by doing it yourself.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Why should someones life depend on "stop gap" measures?
Because it staves off bankruptcy. It's called Catastrophic Insurance. A Gold Plated Insurance Plan is not an entitlement, contrary to your contention.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,525 times
Quote:
Why is it unaffordable? Screwed up priorities? Screwed up lives? What gives?
Do you really not know? This is unbelievable. Get this - I was turned down prior to ACA because of - drum roll - high blood pressure.

Now just FYI, I work out and do cardio regularly, get admiring looks from women less than half my age who tell me they wish they were as buff as I am, I have never smoked, drink moderately, eat a healthy diet and yet am cursed with idiopathic hypertension. (As an aside, I have blood cholesterol values that make labs want to repeat the test because I am off the charts as far as low risk goes despite consuming eggs, butter and other "bad" foods.) The pills cost about $5 / month.

Honestly if you have always been in the bosom of a company that takes care of your health insurance or live in a state with multiple allowed carriers (read one that allows competition) where you can get decent coverage for individuals, you have NO idea what you are talking about. None.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You do not know what you are talking about.
My husband and I each have coverage through our employers, which is very affordable. However, we have been in situations where we needed to buy insurance, not through an employer, and were denied coverage.
Without coverage through an employer, we are not able to buy coverage at any price. Certainly not any price we could afford.
Keep in mind, we are in our 60's and very fit, with the help of a few very common medications, such as blood pressure medicine.
Yet, a person who ignores health issues, which we do not, and therefore does not have a medical history, is deemed more insurable than we are.
You're in your 60's. Would you expect ANY insurance company to deem you low risk? If so, you're not living in reality. In fact, you'll be covered by Medicare soon...if not already. So what's your point exactly?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Do you really not know? This is unbelievable. Get this - I was turned down prior to ACA because of - drum roll - high blood pressure.

Now just FYI, I work out and do cardio regularly, get admiring looks from women less than half my age who tell me they wish they were as buff as I am, I have never smoked, drink moderately, eat a healthy diet and yet am cursed with idiopathic hypertension. (As an aside, I have blood cholesterol values that make labs want to repeat the test because I am off the charts as far as low risk goes despite consuming eggs, butter and other "bad" foods.) The pills cost about $5 / month.

Honestly if you have always been in the bosom of a company that takes care of your health insurance or live in a state with multiple allowed carriers (read one that allows competition) where you can get decent coverage for individuals, you have NO idea what you are talking about. None.
Being turned down for whatever reason is a completely different concept than affordability. Surely you understand this?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
It sounds like you're one of those people with screwed up priorities.....everything else (mortgages, car payments, etc) comes before your health. Why ignore health insurance if it's an important aspect of your life?
Ummm... you know nothing about me.

Except I'm quite witty, detest people who have no compassion for others, and have gotten a bunch of reps for responding to this post, so thanks for that because I like watching my post to rep ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies