Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 11:07 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...if it walks like a duck...

I dunno...but think about it. Didn't the video look as if he was arrested? We don't know that he was not, before he was released. I don't take credt for this, this was being discussed on Politics Nation with an attorney. They can always use that statute if they produce paperwork that says he was.
Then, don't be surprised if there's 'The Mother of all MANHUNT's' ...and they find him...and skin his hide!?

Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
What about technicalites though. If he was in fact arrrested (just going thru the motions, mind you) when the State Attorney intervened, that might not negate the paperwork making it official that an initial arrest did in fact take place. It is just a theory, but it is not unfathomable.
I believe seeing someone in handcuffs only means that the person is being detained temporarily for the safety of the police and the public. I am not an expert on crime by any stretch of the imagination, but I've seen police cuff people and put them in the back of a cruiser and it doesn't necessarily mean they're under arrest. I've also watched that show "Cops" and the police often use handcuffs to detain someone. An arrest is when a warrant is issued and charges are filed. I think the cuffs just show that Zimmerman was in police custody at the time.

In fact, now that I think about it, an arrest requires "probably cause." Putting a person in handcuffs is only so he doesn't escape or attack someone. Again, I've probably watched too many Law & Order reruns, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:15 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
One thing that I have not seen discussed is Zimmerman's relationship with the Sanford PD. He must have known some of them since he was calling 911 so much. Maybe I missed it but this could have something to do with why they have been so lenient with him.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:17 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I believe seeing someone in handcuffs only means that the person is being detained temporarily for the safety of the police and the public. I am not an expert on crime by any stretch of the imagination, but I've seen police cuff people and put them in the back of a cruiser and it doesn't necessarily mean they're under arrest. I've also watched that show "Cops" and the police often use handcuffs to detain someone. An arrest is when a warrant is issued and charges are filed. I think the cuffs just show that Zimmerman was in police custody at the time.
Yes, I'm aware that handcuffs do not necessarily mean arrested, but I have no trust in anything concerning how this was handled. Just such suspicious goings on. Anyway, how this unfolds will be very interesting...to say the least.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
One thing that I have not seen discussed is Zimmerman's relationship with the Sanford PD. He must have known some of them since he was calling 911 so much. Maybe I missed it but this could have something to do with why they have been so lenient with him.
That's what I was thinking, but the 911 dispatcher didn't seem to know him, and he even asked "Do you live in the area?"

OTOH, please read this story

[url]http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/30/us-usa-florida-shooting-mayor-idUSBRE82T04O20120330[/url]

Even the Mayor of Sanford was having trouble getting information from the police? Ut oh, maybe I should change my last post!

"My question immediately was the same as everybody else's," Triplett said. "How is there somebody that has been killed, and we can't make an arrest or we didn't make an arrest?"

Triplett had difficulty getting a handle on the case. Information would be relayed only to be corrected, he said, and police were generally reluctant to reveal too much about the investigation.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:20 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
We're all speculating everything. I cannot imagine how Trayvon Martin's parents heads are spinning.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Really? Aw shaw...well slap my face, Mildred. Ya think?!!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:45 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Ugh, I wanted to be #1,000!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

Old 03-31-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
We're all speculating everything. I cannot imagine how Trayvon Martin's parents heads are spinning.
Sorry, I had to stop and take care of a giant bug (heck, this is Florida!)

Yes, I would be numb at this point, especially after viewing the video of Zimmerman casually walking into the police station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I didn't think this was a contest. We're talking about a young man's death. I know you were being sarcastic, but it's a very sad story, not just about one teenager, but about our country and all the violence & hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies