Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree, if you're talking about his mug shot, but in fairness to Zimmerman, the most common photo is from 2005 when he was booked for felony assault and not a fair image of the man in 2012. Unfortunately, it was the only photo available, because the latest one showing Zimmerman in a suit & tie smiling is copyrighted.

Trayvon is the victim, and he cannot speak from the grave, so I understand why his family wants to portray an image of a young, sweet kid. However, he was your typical 17 year old from Miami Gardens, who liked gangsta rap and wanted to look cool. That isn't a crime or even a reason to judge him. When I was 17 and in college, it was the "men with long hair" who were seen as anti-establishment. Unfortunately, the recent photos of Martin scare White people who agree they'd shoot an unarmed 17 year old, wearing a hoodie and a grill. I just heard this from a neighbor:

"Trayvon was a stupid kid. When you're Black, you should know that dressing a certain way makes you look like a thug. He should have been wearing a pinstriped, button-down shirt with a tie. Then he wouldn't have looked so suspicious."

That is what a high educated, very wealthy retiree just told me.

This is an interesting article about the photos of both people:

The iconic photos of Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman & why you may not see the others

Sort of like what another poster said" Had she not dressed so sexy in a short skirt; she wouldn't have been raped."

Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
No. The name of the law is "Stand Your Ground".

Following is not 'standing your ground'.

Standing means you are not moving; not going forward or backward.

Following means, obviously, you are moving forward.

So, zimmerman invoking the Stand Your Ground law is inconsistent with his actions. In other words, he stalked and killed Trayvon. That's murder. The very moment he started following Trayvon, he lost his right to invoke the Stand Your Ground law!
Using the title of a law to understand what a law does is sort of ridiculous. [The Patriot Act comes to mind, for example.]

We'll continue to disagree on whether following tm means syg can't be invoked. This is from the FL. jury instructions---

In deciding whether defendant was justified in the use of deadly force, you must judge [him] [her] by the circumstances by which [he] [she] was surrounded at the time the force was used."

You and others can rely on what the law's sponsors and Bush say. I'll rely on what the people who interpret the law's Words say, judges and prosecutors.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:57 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
It's unnecessary for President Obama to be inserted into every post one makes. Unlike many, I have some understanding of what's entailed in getting a degree in journalism, and am mindful that many journalists risk life, limb and reputation daily in order to report ethically and comprehensively. This thread is not about President Obama's reaction when asked about Martin's death at a press conference, it's about the death that prompted the question. His answer was brief, tactful and honest. Reading some of the hyperbolic Republican posts would have one believing that he'd blown a trumpet and urged Blacks to riot 24/7. Nothing could be further from the truth. Politicizing the tragic loss of anyone's child is unnecessary; when emotions are high, wiser heads may voice an opinion or cite a source while being mindful that a full investigation will answer many of the legitimate questions that have been raised about this case and the way it's been handled to date.
i believe that obama inserted himself into this situation with his own commentary. (my own would-be child). as black agenda report said, "well, he isn't the father".

there was no need for that, was there? he could have simply said that the grand jury was investigating and he would leave the decision up to them, but that isn't what he said-nor is that what he did in the boston beer summit incident. (in that one, obama admitted that he didn't have any of the facts, but that he was sticking up for his friend). what?

i am just saying that all of this politicizing by sharpton, jackson, the media, AND the president doesn't do a darn thing to actually solve the issue of what happened that night, and getting to the truth of the event. (whatever it is)

i feel it is about intimidation, instead of justice.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUdom5 View Post
How is my assertion any more ridiculous than the public's reaction to demand Z's arrest?
Wasnt saying your assertion was ridiculous but it does like many other posts on this topic lack any evidence.
At this point very little is known as to what actually happened other than a confrontation took place and the man with the gun killed the man without a gun pleading stand your ground law.i think people who use this law and end up killing some one should be held accountable and be prepared to prove their case or whats to stop any one from killing any one else and invoke the Stand your ground law..

Old 04-03-2012, 02:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
you mean turns around and viciously assaults you?
Hell according to you cowboys, Trayvon would have been in his legal rights to blast Zimmerman away with a fracking Bozooka!

Of course all this raises the question of what would be your reaction if some unknown black male followed you in a car and when you took off running in fear ran after you, what would you do considering Florida "so called stand your ground law"? Then please tell me that you would just turn towards that person and politely inquiring as to why he was chasing you because after it isn't against the law to run after someone? And when you finish answer those questions, what would be the arguments defending your actions if you instead decked the guy or worse pulled a gun and shot them, which again seems to be perfectly fine behavior in Florida?

I eagerly await your answers.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:11 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Default George Zimmerman had good reasons to be concerned with the amount of crime in his neighborhood!

George Zimmerman had good reasons to be worried about the amount of crime in his neighborhood!

The FBI crime statistics lists 371 cities with populations between 40,000 and 60,000 in the USA. Sanford Florida has a population of around 50,000.

Sanford has a Violent Crime Rate that is the 43rd highest out of those 371 cities.

Sandord also has a Property Crime rate that is the thirteenth highest of those 371 cities.

You can look up the crime rates here or on the FBI website: United States cities by crime rate (40,000

It is no wonder to me that Zimmerman was active in the neighborhood watch program and licensed to carry a concealed weapon. I would be too if I lived in such a crime ridden location.

Zimmerman had good reason to be concerned about the burglaries in his neighborhood.

Quote:
Who was behind burglaries in Zimmerman's neighborhood? - CNN.com
Frank Taaffe, "a friend of George Zimmerman's said Tuesday on CNN that their neighborhood had suffered eight burglaries... in the 15 months prior to Trayvon Martin's shooting".

In his CNN interview, Taaffe also credited Zimmerman with preventing a ninth burglary by reporting a suspicious black man trying to break into Taaffe's home. City documents show that Zimmerman did call police on February 2 to report a black man was possibly trying to break into the house. By the time police arrived, no one was at the scene, according to a call log posted on the city website.

It appears that Zimmerman had good reason to follow the suspect as well, since in that previous incident last February the suspect had escaped by the time the police got there to investigate.

According to City-Data Sanford had 871 burglaries in 2010, that averages 2.4 per day, every day. A burglary rate of 1,665 per 100,000 people. That is extremely high. Almost as high as Detroit.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM

179 posts, read 156,623 times
Here's the best photo I have seen yet clearly showing Zimmerman's broken nose. It is a still from the surveillance footage, but is not enhanced or altered (except for the green arrow pointing to the injury). It's actually pretty easy to see it in the video, and it's clear form the video this is not an artifact of recording.

imgur: the simple image sharer

Tell me that is not a busted up nose. Not only is there massive swelling on the right side, it looks like the bridge of the nose might be messed up too.

Also, the "audio forensic experts" have been absolutely destroyed. Like everything else put out by the Orlando Sentinel, they're a huge scam to try to garner continued interest in this case.

http://www.wagist.com/2012/dan-lineh...rsenic-experts

Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i believe that obama inserted himself into this situation with his own commentary.
Oh for crap sake!

Obama was at a press conference announcing his nominee for the World Bank when he was asked to share his thoughts and stated:

“I’ve got to be careful about my statements to make sure that we’re not impairing any investigation that’s taking place right now.”

So what do you suffers of ODD, key on?

“But, obviously, this is a tragedy,” he added, noting that we all have to “do some soul searching to find out why something like this happened.”

“I think every parent in America,” he said, “should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative to investigate every aspect of this and that everybody pulls together — federal, state, and local — to figure out exactly how this tragedy happened.” He noted that he was glad that the Justice Department had stepped in to investigate the specifics of the case.

“But my main message,” he added, “is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. You know, if I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon. And, you know, I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves and that we’re going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened."

Now that is one fraking damning statement condemning George Zimmerman

Quote:
he could have simply said that the grand jury was investigating and he would leave the decision up to them,
So show me in the above statement where he said anything in essence different from what you think would have been appropriate.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:21 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Sure, attacking someone instead of calling the police for help is a much better solution. You're a genius.
Damn right I am.

Quote:
That's what you BELIEVE. You weren't there, so you don't KNOW who was the aggressor who started the physical confrontation, nor do you know if GZ was trying to see where TM went to report to police and TM confronted him. Unless you were there and witnessed it, you're making crap up.
Hmm......something fascinating here. You weren't there either, but you condemn my opinion, as if you know something the rest of us do not. Unless you're George Zimmerman, you're talking out of your posterior. You do seem to be making lots of excuses for him. Are you George Zimmerman?

Old 04-03-2012, 02:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
I read the police report today, it looks like the boy was found lying on the ground face down.

Does anyone know if he was shot in the back or in the chest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies