Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 01:18 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
What hogwash! I'm sorry Sharpton but druggies/dealers/gangbangers should not go to jail? It's not your fault nor our's that the majority are black. Get your eyes checked!

Mr. Jackson, I do not call you or Sharpton Revs. because this is not the way of The Lord, being rabble rousers and causing division. Blacks are NOT under attack. You are causing the attacks in the media. Most and I'm sorry to say not all, white Americans are perfectly happy to be friends, neighbors of black people. Decent black people. The black kids I work with are decent young men and women. They are working just like everyone else to go to college, pay bills, etc. They are no different than I. I'd defend them to anyone who had anything prejudiced to say about them. Get off YOUR BIGOTTED high horse. Yep, that is what you and Sharpton are...bigots. Pure and simple. The poor people who rally to your cry are being mislead by "false gods".
It is obvious that he did not mean ALL whites but even you admitted that their are some that are very wicked. I will admitt sometimes Mr sharpton goes overboard, but growing up in the times of civil unrest and actuallying witnessing the brutality towards innocent blacks for years would have that type of toll on anyone. It is hard to get many whites to step into the shoes of the average black person and actually see and feel the what it is like to be disenfranchised. You really have to understand one thing, the majority of blacks do not feel any hate towards whites in general but the system that many control and that is what keeps the fuel of racism going. Just think, none of this would have occurred if the police dept did not try to cover it up with lies.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It is obvious that he did not mean ALL whites but even you admitted that their are some that are very wicked. I will admitt sometimes Mr sharpton goes overboard, but growing up in the times of civil unrest and actuallying witnessing the brutality towards innocent blacks for years would have that type of toll on anyone. It is hard to get many whites to step into the shoes of the average black person and actually see and feel the what it is like to be disenfranchised. You really have to understand one thing, the majority of blacks do not feel any hate towards whites in general but the system that many control and that is what keeps the fuel of racism going. Just think, none of this would have occurred if the police dept did not try to cover it up with lies.
Well, I need to go, but I just want to say that people who do not know what it's like to be suspected of doing wrong just because you are Black feels like. I certainly don't. I mean, nobody had any trouble believing the disturbed young woman in 2008 who carved her own face and said a "large Black man" did it and yelled something about Obama. Nobody had any trouble accepting that a Black man stole her car and took her children. When that crazy girl splashed her own face with acid, didn't she claim a Black woman called her "pretty girl" and poured acid on her?

If someone doesn't understand that hearing "The Black Guy Did It" has created a mistrust of the police and White people, then you aren't very sensitive to racial profiling and how it puts innocent people in harm's way.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
They need to file charges or explain why they aren't. If they are still unsure if they can charge him by now then I don't know what to say. This is getting pathetic how long they're taking.
Charge him already or not. Get it over with
The Police/AG have reported OVER and OVER and OVER... they did not have ENOUGH evidence to file charges...

That's my biggest gripe, originally they did not have enough evidence to charge Z.. FINE.. but the PD was gonna simply close the case as self defense prior to the uproar. Now the FEDs are investigating to see if there is more evidence to charge him.. The Process is working but it required a HUGE amount of public outrage to get the process rolling along.. now if the FEDs don't come up with enough evidence to charge Z.. will public say OK, fine, or will they RIOT in the STREETs!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:34 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times
This Zimmerman dude is nuts.

Getting violent with women and police officers, working under the table at illegal parties and freaking out on party-goers. Just a ticking time bomb and giving him license to carry a gun, seems to have started the slow fuse a-burning.

With all of this, I don't see how people can post about Trayvon (possibly) smoking weed and writing on a school locker with a straight face.

Which shows a proclivity to violence: giving the camera the middle finger or pushing a lady down twisting her ankle?

Old 03-30-2012, 01:44 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
charge him for what? a witness is necessary for charges to be issued. a dead body with skittles and ice tea does not constitute a murder. please read the police report to understand why he wasn't charged.

WESH PDF Viewer (http://www.wesh.com/pdf/30793508/detail.html - broken link)
Sadly, for some reason the average non-black person does not understand the historical irony of this case. Throughout reconstruction and up to this century black life has been so marginalized it is sickens me. All througout history blacks have been murdered with and without police participation, but yet some people have the audacity to get upset whenever any facet of resistance is shown. Lets put the shoe on the other foot (which many blacks have in their minds) can any of you "scholars" provide proof of a black person killing anyone else that was non-black and be able to "walk out" of the police station with the weapon that committed the offense just on their word? .........Go ahead I will wait

There is absolutely no excuse for not at least detaining him until a real investigation is done. For those of you who are screaming that there are no charges, that is the biggest travesty of justice known to man! There are people that have been held longer in custody for minor offenses. Which leads to another question, since the DA can charge someone with a crime and therefore that person can be held by the police, why did'nt this one do so in regards to a homocide? Was it because of the information provided by the police? Or was it because of possible influence of zimmerman's father? I believe the latter since the lead homocide investigator wanted zimmerman held/charged and was over ruled by the DA

Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times
Quote:
Sadly, for some reason the average non-black person does not understand the historical irony of this case. Throughout reconstruction and up to this century black life has been so marginalized it is sickens me. All througout history blacks have been murdered with and without police participation, but yet some people have the audacity to get upset whenever any facet of resistance is shown. Lets put the shoe on the other foot (which many blacks have in their minds) can any of you "scholars" provide proof of a black person killing anyone else that was non-black and be able to "walk out" of the police station with the weapon that committed the offense just on their word? .........Go ahead I will wait

There is absolutely no excuse for not at least detaining him until a real investigation is done. For those of you who are screaming that there are no charges, that is the biggest travesty of justice known to man! There are people that have been held longer in custody for minor offenses. Which leads to another question, since the DA can charge someone with a crime and therefore that person can be held by the police, why did'nt this one do so in regards to a homocide? Was it because of the information provided by the police? Or was it because of possible influence of zimmerman's father? I believe the latter since the lead homocide investigator wanted zimmerman held/charged and was over ruled by the DA
I agree with you. And honestly, I think that deep down, others do also. They are just letting ignorance and/or bigotry cloud their judgement. To suggest that blacks don't have a history of being victimized without justice is to ignore hundreds of years of history.

An interesting survey was done in 2003 involving interracial murders and the enforcement of the death penatly. It found that, since 1976, when the victim was black and the murderer was white, there were 18. In short contract, when the victim was white and the murderer was black, the execution rate was 253.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:03 PM

381 posts, read 506,886 times
Quote:

if this post was aimed towards me, since i was quoted, then you have the wrong perception about me. i'm not white, nor hispanic.

if you read the police report, zimmerman's gun is being held for evidence. which means, it is not a closed case. all shootings are investigated. until we know who this lead investigator is, it is hearsay. he needs to put in paper that he wants to prosecute zimmerman. without this evidence, then you can not use this against zimmerman. if you are going to try and make a judgement like a jury, you should stick to the facts. most is hearsay. facts can be read. read the police and witness reports. listening to hearsay will distract your from the truth.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:03 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times
Okay, I will now tell the world what happened the night of the Martin-Zimmerman ordeal.

Trayvon Martin was walking along in the darkness when he was spotted by George Zimmerman. Zimmerman is an over-zealous cop wannabe, and just to keep the record straight, Trayvon Martin is not the scooter-riding, little kid seen in the photos. He is a 6'2" 17 year-old guy who looks heavier than his 160 pounds in his loose, baggy clothing.

So, anyway, Zimmerman starts to follow Martin. He stays about 50-100 feet back. At some point he calls 9-1-1, just as he has too many times in the past. The cops tell him to stop following Martin, but of course he ignores them.

Martin now sees he is being tailed. He is a combination of annoyed and worried about this unknown man following him. Martin turns a corner, ducks behind a shrub or a tree and awaits Zimmerman. When Zimmerman is a few steps away, Martin reappears and confronts Zimmerman.

"Dude, why are you following me?" Martin asks.

"I'm not doing anything illegal," replies a startled Zimmerman. "What are you doing here? You don't live around here?"

An aggitated Martin takes a step in Zimmerman's direction and angrily says, "I got the right to walk the street, same as you."

Zimmerman feels threatened, but he's not about to back down. After all, he's practically a cop, or so he thinks. In an attempt to get the upper hand, Zimmerman moves a step closer to Martin. Now the two are separated by only an arm's length. Zimmerman growls, "You don't belong around here. You hear me!"

Zimmerman's tone of voice and overall anger makes Martin believe he is in imminent danger. He raises his fists in defense. Zimmerman, thinking he is about to be attacked, also raises his fists. In what he believes to be self-defense, Martin lunges at Zimmerman and knocks him to the ground. He frenetically tries to hit Zimmerman in hopes of disabling him. But he only stuns Zimmerman and Zimmerman is able to find his gun and shoot Martin, killing him.

There you have it. Now you guys can go ahead and make the necessary arrests and charges, that is, if you can figure out who exactly is to blame.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:13 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I must get back to work now, but I will come back later and rip this post to shreds.
Whatever, have at it. I'm just being honest in MO.

To others...yes, I have no clue what it is to walk in your shoes, although I did get a taste of it back in '78 when I dared date a black man. I saw the hatred in the eyes of the white men. They were looking directly into my eyes. Then I saw that same hatred in the eyes of black men and women when this guy took me to one of "his" places. I wasn't prepared for either showings of hatred. I was just dating the guy but crossing racial barriers that most people of either color back in those days did not like being crossed. So I retreated to my "white only" life. That left a very big impression on my 20 something self and I feel I DO understand a tiny bit about how black people feel. I understand the foolish hatred for no reason. I bumped into this guy 20 odd years later and he STILL had the same good job he had back in '78! He was married and had a fine family. So how's that for being a dependable guy? I continued on with the "sh*t" white guys and took me until just about 20 years ago to find a keeper that has now passed on. No more guys of ANY color for me!

Old 03-30-2012, 02:21 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Okay, I will now tell the world what happened the night of the Martin-Zimmerman ordeal.

Trayvon Martin was walking along in the darkness when he was spotted by George Zimmerman. Zimmerman is an over-zealous cop wannabe, and just to keep the record straight, Trayvon Martin is not the scooter-riding, little kid seen in the photos. He is a 6'2" 17 year-old guy who looks heavier than his 160 pounds in his loose, baggy clothing.

So, anyway, Zimmerman starts to follow Martin. He stays about 50-100 feet back. At some point he calls 9-1-1, just as he has too many times in the past. The cops tell him to stop following Martin, but of course he ignores them.

Martin now sees he is being tailed. He is a combination of annoyed and worried about this unknown man following him. Martin turns a corner, ducks behind a shrub or a tree and awaits Zimmerman. When Zimmerman is a few steps away, Martin reappears and confronts Zimmerman.

"Dude, why are you following me?" Martin asks.

"I'm not doing anything illegal," replies a startled Zimmerman. "What are you doing here? You don't live around here?"

An aggitated Martin takes a step in Zimmerman's direction and angrily says, "I got the right to walk the street, same as you."

Zimmerman feels threatened, but he's not about to back down. After all, he's practically a cop, or so he thinks. In an attempt to get the upper hand, Zimmerman moves a step closer to Martin. Now the two are separated by only an arm's length. Zimmerman growls, "You don't belong around here. You hear me!"

Zimmerman's tone of voice and overall anger makes Martin believe he is in imminent danger. He raises his fists in defense. Zimmerman, thinking he is about to be attacked, also raises his fists. In what he believes to be self-defense, Martin lunges at Zimmerman and knocks him to the ground. He frenetically tries to hit Zimmerman in hopes of disabling him. But he only stuns Zimmerman and Zimmerman is able to find his gun and shoot Martin, killing him.

There you have it. Now you guys can go ahead and make the necessary arrests and charges, that is, if you can figure out who exactly is to blame.
That sounds pretty much what might have happened that night. I'd say good deduction. I'm sure the kid was irritated by being stalked. IDK if a 6'3" kid would be scared but he may have been worried he was about to be mugged. (do kids really have any fear?) Like I said before I feel Zimmerman was way in the wrong especially after being told to "stand down" by the police. That stupid law is waht is creating the mess. "Self-defense". If it can be proven in a court of law that the killing of a person is okay, so be it but that person should be charged with something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies