Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 12:55 PM

17,203 posts, read 14,482,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I still don't know how anyone with a long history of violence was able to get a concealed weapons permit. You are only posting about one story which we cannot confirm as true. It's only based on what a former co-worker claims. Still, I do know from public records that he has been arrested for felony assault, and his ex-fiancee got a restraining order filed against him. I'll look for the article, but I read that during a Homeowner's Association meeting, a resident complained that Zimmerman was too aggressive and he even called the Sanford Police about Zimmerman's use of force. However, unless this man comes forward, it's just hearsay. I think people are afraid to speak up because of all the attention this story has received. Then there are those who will go on TV and say anything for their 15 minutes of fame. So it's a real mess at this point.
... she filed for a restraining order against him. And he filed against her. In the end, they were told to stay the hell away from each other.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:03 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,080,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Not to get too far off topic, but I don't see why an arrest makes any difference. As long as he wasn't convicted or didn't do PTI then I don't see why an arrest should any impact on his ability to buy a gun.
This is what I posted...

Quote:
I heard that as long as there was no conviction, his ability to carry a concealed weapon was not negated. The more I hear about Florida laws, the more I know I would never want to live there...among other reasons.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:11 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,883,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
... she filed for a restraining order against him. And he filed against her. In the end, they were told to stay the hell away from each other.
Very classy. Sounds like an episode of COPS. Gosh, when I was married, we'd argue and then I'd go into the bedroom and watch TV. I suppose I'm very quick to judge someone with felony assaults and restraining orders, since I don't hang around with people with police records and restraining orders.

Okay, I'll admit it. I've been stopped for going 42 in a 30mph zone.

I guess there must be a lot of people here who have criminal records or past arrests since they don't seem to be too rattled by a history that shows a man punched an ATF officer in a bar and has other assaults.

The police report described Zimmerman as interjecting himself into the situation, and when the officer identified himself Zimmerman said "I don't care who you are". When police ordered him to leave again and George replied "F*** you!". The police report stated Zimmerman "used violence and battery against the officer". Charges were reduced from a felony and Zimmerman was sentenced to anger management classes. If Zimmerman's charges hadn't been reduced he would have been unable to get a concealed weapons permit."

Again, maybe I'm being too judgmental because I simply don't know people like this.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Not to get too far off topic, but I don't see why an arrest makes any difference. As long as he wasn't convicted or didn't do PTI then I don't see why an arrest should any impact on his ability to buy a gun.
Sorry - didn't see your post on this. See post 863. I just wrote that since he took an anger management class, he was able to get the permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I heard that as long as there was no conviction, his ability to carry a concealed weapon was not negated. The more I hear about Florida laws, the more I know I would never want to live there...among other reasons.
I agree the man has too much history to have a concealed weapon permit. However, please don't judge Florida by a few bad laws and some areas where there is a lot of crime. I feel very safe here. Maybe this map will help.

[url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/19276729-post44.html[/url]

Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Very classy. Sounds like an episode of COPS. Gosh, when I was married, we'd argue and then I'd go into the bedroom and watch TV. I suppose I'm very quick to judge someone with felony assaults and restraining orders, since I don't hang around with people with police records and restraining orders.

I guess there must be a lot of people here who have criminal records or past arrests since they don't seem to be too rattled by a history that shows a man punched an ATF officer in a bar and has other assaults.

The police report described Zimmerman as interjecting himself into the situation, and when the officer identified himself Zimmerman said "I don't care who you are". When police ordered him to leave again and George replied "F*** you!". The police report stated Zimmerman "used violence and battery against the officer". Charges were reduced from a felony and Zimmerman was sentenced to anger management classes. If Zimmerman's charges hadn't been reduced he would have been unable to get a concealed weapons permit."''

Again, maybe I'm being too judgmental because I simply don't know people like this.

I read about Zimmerman's encounter with the ATF officer too. Left me wondering how and why the charges were reduced. So, in essence what we have here, is a person who very well might have been charged and convicted of a felony, but was not, due to reasons that we are not privy to. He was within his legal rights to carry the concealed weapon, but you cannot blame anyone for pondering why it wound up that way...

Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 PM

17,203 posts, read 14,482,614 times
Quote:

The police report described Zimmerman as interjecting himself into the situation, and when the officer identified himself Zimmerman said "I don't care who you are". When police ordered him to leave again and George replied "F*** you!". The police report stated Zimmerman "used violence and battery against the officer". Charges were reduced from a felony and Zimmerman was sentenced to anger management classes. If Zimmerman's charges hadn't been reduced he would have been unable to get a concealed weapons permit."

Just like there were a lot of people here who weren't too rattled by Trayvon Martin being suspended numerous times or having weed in his backpack.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:31 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,816,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I'm sure that he is your actual friend and not someone pretending to be your friend for fame. Since when is this is common in a possible homocide case especially when the investigating officer feels like he should be detained. Like I mentioned before I have see cases when they know they can't win but kept the person in jail because of the word of the arresting officer. The probelm is that the judical system picks and chooses when to apply these little facts and most of the time it goes against the poor, the minorities and the least connected.
I can name three cases off the top of my head where a suspect was known about but not charged for a long time, in one case they never were charged -- The Drew and Scott Peterson cases as well as the Susan Powell case. You fail to note the habeas corpus issue that limits how long a person can be held without charges filed. It appears that this case is not as cut and dried as you seem to believe.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Sorry - didn't see your post on this. See post 863. I just wrote that since he took an anger management class, he was able to get the permit.

I agree the man has too much history to have a concealed weapon permit. However, please don't judge Florida by a few bad laws and some areas where there is a lot of crime. I feel very safe here. Maybe this map will help.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/19276729-post44.html
I've been to Florida. I have family and friends there. In truth, I do not like the weather and lack of mountains. Too flat and hot for my taste.

That being said, I have read stories throughout the years of strange legislation. Convictions leading to prison terms of people that happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Thsi SYG law is BS and it opens the door to a convoluted, misundertood and misinterpreted laws that have and will be abused...no thanks!

Old 03-31-2012, 01:49 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,487,434 times
Quote:
No, I never said that. I will go back and find the post you are quoting, but I believe you added the word "suspicious." I was answering a post that defended Zimmerman's actions because Martin could have been a threat to him. I said he wasn't a threat because Zimmerman was not in harm's way when he was sitting in his car. I've been writing for days that following someone with a gun is where he lost his self-defense or stand your ground defense. Even our former Governor agrees.

I really don't know if people on this forum enjoy adding a word to another member's post just to get a reaction or it's unintentional. I never once said that Zimmerman was wrong when he called 911. I wouldn't care if he called 911 because he saw me and didn't like the way I was walking. If he followed me and I felt he might cause bodily harm, that would be different.

Okay, I found it. This is what I wrote.

Then you wrote that I suggested someone can't be suspicious unless he's doing something wrong. I just wanted to know why Zimmerman felt if was necessary to follow someone he reported to the police. So I guess we are on the same page, right?

In the 911 call, when Zimmerman was asked for his address, he said he didn't want to give it to police. I find that odd, don't you? I'll have to go back to the transcript, but I clearly remember that from the tape.
All I meant is that a 17-year-old can look suspicious or threatening, that age is irrelevant. Suspicious/threat aside...

I don't care much what the former gov. thinks. I'd bet if asked what the law actually says, Jeb would stare into space, then ask for the next question. I think prosecutors opposed the law because they could foresee the difficulty in charging. If you're right that following someone with a gun is where gz lost his self-defense or stand your ground defense, I'll be wrong.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Just like there were a lot of people here who weren't too rattled by Trayvon Martin being suspended numerous times or having weed in his backpack.
Oh, I got into trouble a little back in high school. So what? I graduated college with honors. I once drank some beer on a class trip. When I was in college in 1969, I even went to Woodstock and smoked some pot!

How can you possibly relate this to a criminal offense like assaulting a law enforcement officer? Until we learn that Martin actually showed traces of marijuana use in his blood, we really do not know why he was suspended. I, on the other hand, used actual public records.

By the way, nobody ever reported that he had "weed" in his backpack. There was a bag that had "marijuana residue" in it. Maybe he didn't want to snitch on a friend. Since the police were never called, you are making assumptions. If Martin was carrying a bag of marijuana, the police would have been called.

Yup, we all know that marijuana makes people very violent. If Martin was stoned, maybe he would have pummeled Zimmerman's face with chocolate covered doughnuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.