Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,638,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Natural Gas is very inexpensive, and is abundant in the United States.

Now if Walmart would would sell Natural Gas fuel at all its Gas Stations within 6 months;

and Ford produced a $17,000 car that runs on natural gas in six months that could be purchased through Walmart;

Ford would sell a ton of these cars;

and Natural Gas refueling stations would always be within reach.

NATURAL GAS WILL BE THE FUEL OF CHOICE IN TWO YEARS!!!
Yup, all we need now it to drill, baby drill.

BTW, this technology has been around for ages, but the global warming crowd frowned on it because it still produces CO-freaking-2.

Just wait until the EPA starts getting in the mix, and mandates new car regulations for CNG, prices will soar. We had American made, gasoline-powered, automobiles getting 40-50 mpg in the 1990s, but the EPA created new regs that destroyed those designs.

If they built those low mileage cars today, the federal government would label them as illegal for the US market, so they would be sold in Europe and other overseas markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 AM

690 posts, read 1,198,020 times
Yes, in wastage alone, Libyan oil field burn off enough natural gas from their oil fields each year to power France and Germany, for a year.

I guess it costs too much to capture?!

Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,049,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
LPG conversions on off-road rigs have been common for oh, a couple of decades. Moreso back in the days of carburated engines. It isn't bothered by the rig operating at extreme angles, since there is no carb, float bowl or floats to mess with.

Biggest issues (LPG or NG) are the low heat content compared to gas or diesel, meaning that you need a large tank for decent range. And the need for a large, pressurized tank, and pressurizied fueling stations. I'm curious how long it takes to fill a NG tank that would provide say a 400 mile range. Just a 5 gallon propane tank takes longer to fill than your average gas tank.
Excellent post. I'm not into the heavy rig industry, so that's new news to me.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,731,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Biggest issues (LPG or NG) are the low heat content compared to gas or diesel, meaning that you need a large tank for decent range. And the need for a large, pressurized tank, and pressurizied fueling stations. I'm curious how long it takes to fill a NG tank that would provide say a 400 mile range. Just a 5 gallon propane tank takes longer to fill than your average gas tank.
Yep. The range is certainly lower (as I noticed with Civic GX when I kept up with these alternative fuel and automotive technologies). And limited infrastructure makes the situation worse. But, from what I saw, the refueling time wasn't terrible when I had to get out and wait for the cab drivers to refuel.

Having said that, use of LPG in vehicles is illegal in India (or so I was told), but CNG is being pushed for. Found this picture (also a link) of CNG powered City Bus in India...

CNG has been a popular choice for public transportation in Ft Worth as well.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,732,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That may be true, but those I knew, did the work themselves and didn't bother "reporting" it.

Funny how the biggest cost killer in the article is "government". Isn't government grand?
Exactly the point of my posting the article.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
If the govt. regs are keeping cars from exploding then they are indeed grand.
Yet you drive around with a tankful of some of the most volatile and most explosive stuff on the planet.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,731,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Yet you drive around with a tankful of some of the most volatile and most explosive stuff on the planet.
What do you think of hydrogen power?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Hydrogen is fine, it explodes upward and burns off quickly, that is why very few people were burned/killed when the Hindenburg exploded. I believe it to be safer than gasoline or cng.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 AM

12,254 posts, read 6,414,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Yes i do and those rules and regs keep it from exploding if I should be in a wreck. Remember the Ford Pinto and the Chevy Corvair?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:53 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,638,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You mean hydrogen fuel cells?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies