Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times

Advertisements

Bill Clinton was called America's first black president by Maya Angelou apropos of nothing and white conservatives have been crowing about it ever since. It had nothing to do with Monica Lewinsky.

I mentioned disadvantaged minorities so some here could differentiate between being seldom and being due some type of assistance to catch up. Federal judges have figured this out in minority contract set asides. They don't just go to folks who happen to be fewer in number. There's a reason for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
So if Bill Clinton was called the first black president, then what does that make Bush? The first Mexican president?

I wonder what HIllary could be...the first real male president?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:06 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyouhuskies View Post
Out of curiosity, I would like to poll the politics board on this question. It was posed to me about five years ago by a sociology professor I had at Northeastern University.

If you are a caucasian, how would you feel if caucasians were no longer the majority in America? Regardless of what minority overtook the caucasian race in terms of numbers, would you feel less secure, as secure, or more secure as a new minority in the US?
If only it were true!

I think I'd absolutely love it. No more would I have to hear about someone getting turned down for a job because they were the wrong check box. No more will I have to listen to "whitey runs America". No more will I have to watch television and see minorities injected into shows where it makes absolutely no sense.

Oh boy, I can't wait. The day a white guy beats out everyone else for a civil service job WITH the lowest test score, I'll know we've arrived.

~T

Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
If only it were true!

I think I'd absolutely love it. No more would I have to hear about someone getting turned down for a job because they were the wrong check box. No more will I have to listen to "whitey runs America". No more will I have to watch television and see minorities injected into shows where it makes absolutely no sense.

Oh boy, I can't wait. The day a white guy beats out everyone else for a civil service job WITH the lowest test score, I'll know we've arrived.

~T

Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Quote:
If only it were true!

~T

Were you listening? "I mentioned disadvantaged minorities so some here could differentiate between being seldom and being due some type of assistance to catch up." Please don't confuse whites as minorities with whites as disadvantaged minorities.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:58 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,345 times
You two need to re read your X biographies. The man conched his hair and acted white for 20 years before he ever came to know Elijah Muhhamed

Originally Posted by fishmonger
Is it acting educated, or acting right-wing and therefore apparently pro-rich and pro-white? I don't think Malcolm X was ever accused of "acting white"... I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You are correct--Malcolm X was accused of many things, but no one, to my knowledge, ever accused him of "acting white".

BTW, during the Monica Lewinsky scandal, Bill Clinton was applauded as "America's First Black President".....go figure.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:15 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
So if Bill Clinton was called the first black president, then what does that make Bush? The first Mexican president?

I wonder what HIllary could be...the first real male president?
Interesting TexasNick---you may be on to something here---perhaps Pat Robertson is actually "America's first Fundamentalist Christian Muslim"---and perhaps David Duke will someday be applauded as "The Guy who kept Al Sharpton in business"....I guess anything is possible....

Old 09-14-2007, 09:33 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
If only it were true!

~T
Very "cute" post, the sort of thing I love to "run" with. As you probably know, California (as of about 3 years ago) no longer has ANY "majority"--that is, no group constitutes over 50% of the total. As of now, "whites" still outnumber "hispanics"--(ugh-I hate those terms--but---) In the next few decades, though, "hispanics" will outnumber "whites", and at some later date, will go on to form a true numerical majority, if present trends continue.

All of this brings up some very interesting conundrums--just how do we treat "minorities", particularly INCONVENIENT minorities?

During the contentious "Prop. 209" days here in California (spearheaded by black conservative Ward Connerly), the effort was made to eliminate race as a qualifier in University admissions. But the "boosters" of this were haunted by the uncomfortable knowledge that, if admissions were granted on the basis of S.A.T. scores ALONE ("grades", in other words), that the ASIANS would end up taking about 60% of all "spots"---these Asians "spoiled the plan", and forced a more "creative" way of dealing with the problem. It was interesting to see the Asians treated not as a "needy" minority, but as a "not needy ENOUGH, but still a Minority" group---lots of interesting arguments, to say the least.

After all, everyone knows that "The population of the District of Columbia is about 76-78% minority"---no one ever clearly explains just how a "minority" is a "minority", but here in California, they'd better come up with something soon. Should be interesting to watch.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:50 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
According to many posters in this forum Caucasians are already being discriminated against and have it tougher than minorities. So it shouldn't change their attitudes at all.
Two, three or four is many? Maybe five.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:13 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
You two need to re read your X biographies. The man conched his hair and acted white for 20 years before he ever came to know Elijah Muhhamed

Originally Posted by fishmonger
Is it acting educated, or acting right-wing and therefore apparently pro-rich and pro-white? I don't think Malcolm X was ever accused of "acting white"... I could be wrong.
The musician MC Hammer was accused of being white and turning against his brothers and sisters. Not doing anything for them. when he employed many. So go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies