Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:33 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The resurgent Russian bear, growing and ever hungry Chinese serpent and Indian tiger are just lurking around the corner to take a bite out of the American bald eagle.
Well another way to look at it with the USA, Canada and Russia holding a vast amount of the worlds Resources and the fact that we learned our lesson from the cold war esp the MAD policy I think all we need is to add in India and japan, South Korea and China is blocked off and will not be able to sustain their grwing economy if we decide to cut them off..

I am pretty sure India, Russia, Australia, Japan, South Korea all feel the same threat we do about China may pose in the future and on the other side we all have some influence on how fast China Grows....

To be honest I think you will see alot more Russia, U.S., India, Canada, Japan, Australia and Soutbh Korea grow in terms of Co-operation to control China grow but at the sametime China may not be a threat at all and heck if we all work together and stop playing games and tripping on power we could do some amazing things if we work together...

I think we are now just all Cogs in a Global Economy and even if we wanted to go back to the way it was.. It is just not going to happen things have changed so much and now we need to guide the emerging econmies in South America, South Africa and the Asia pacific region in the right direction..

Just So we don't end up with more Rouge nations like NK and Iran that are a threat to all of us and we have little to no influnce over them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
I think a lot of people fear a rising China or India because it challenges the perception that the US is the dominant superpower in the world and returns us to a multi-polar world.

You have to remember that even though Britain was the undisputed superpower from say 1800 to 1945, and before them the Spanish with their naval power, the reality was that there were multiple powers in Europe, and even then, 30% of the world's GDP was in China.

Travelers from the 1600s onwards until about 1860 reveled in the splendor of Chinese cities, the riches of common folk, the beauty of the craftsmanship, the technology of the time, and the relative tranquility of their cities. To the ancient "barbarians" as the Chinese called them, the Chinese were so far advanced that they simply wondered how in the world they never turned their gaze outwards.

By then though technology had passed them by, and they had to endure nearly 80 years of tragedy and humiliation that to this day they remember. To put it into perspective, the combined casualties of WWI and WWII, nearly 85 million people, is almost as much as China had lost in that same time period.

Personally, I think China is due some slack. Yes they have an appalling record on human rights, their government is backwards, their censorship is asinine, the total lack of regard for the environment is self-flagellation in the long run and their intellectual property rights enforcement are anything but.

But the US was the same way in the 1800s. We stole UK patents left and right and rode on multiple inventions on to being a world superpower by WWI. We were a creditor nation. We had appalling living conditions for the factory workers and had child labor.

So what is it then that people fear in China? I honestly don't know. I like to think we're beyond this. Having a symbiotic relationship is a good thing, one where if we simply stop our ranting we can learn from each other. We'll never totally agree. Their culture strives for "equilibrium" whereas ours is based on dominance (one need only read about the board game "go" and compare it to chess to see what I mean). But we can learn from one another. And I'd rather see that than shooting at one another.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:38 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Because they don't know any better; China is in deep trouble in more ways than one, starting with exploding costs for social welfare expenditures thanks to that dumb one-child rule.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:40 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Don't know about Japan being a threat- They are fairly civilized and attempt to maintain the rule of law..China- Russia etc. are to be feared- not because they are going to be some sort of economic power house in the future that will over shadow the west "economically"- but because both of these entities have through revolution been taken over by a semi-dumb and driven criminal class.

They are to be feared because they are NOT civilized nations- They are the greatest and grandest Mafia organizations that the world has ever seen- WE should NOT respect them- nor should we glorify them- or treat them as they are legitimate- because they are NOT.

There is more to life than the accumulation of money and power--If there is a great debt to China..I say rip them off- cos' they will do it to us first- best to get in the first economic blow- That is all these people understand- You can not reason with them- Any nation that would allow North Korea to exist..is not one that is or ever will be a friend...to hell with China and their mafia bosses...
You books a lot of reading apparently! Who is the not civilized hand side of Russia, China? You're history you know? Geography know? Who is a murderer, the mafia? Now, if you knew the story, you realized that it was much of America is the bandits on the basis of history. All the bandits of Europe fled to America. That, you know? before talking about the culture and banditry. As regards the promotion of innovations (new developments), the Soviet Union was and is the leader in иновациях (development) which are sold in Japan and Europe and America. The greatest discovery of the world on today? I think Такомаг, and he invented in Russia a 51 year in 54 launched the prototype (and the whole world thought this is not possible) the last example - 3D camcorder Which makes more than a million frames per second, this technology is not present at anybody in the world (and this technology was invented in the 50-ies.)

Old 05-28-2012, 10:49 PM

You were afraid and fear of China and Russia, because you do not understand us! And apparently afraid of undereducated people exposed to mass media. Russia has NEVER built a bomb shelter (simple people) from nuclear war. In America was the boom in the construction of such structures of the common people. Why? because they were afraid. And what?The lie of you government.(America)

Old 05-28-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Well another way to look at it with the USA, Canada and Russia holding a vast amount of the worlds Resources and the fact that we learned our lesson from the cold war esp the MAD policy I think all we need is to add in India and japan, South Korea and China is blocked off and will not be able to sustain their grwing economy if we decide to cut them off..

I am pretty sure India, Russia, Australia, Japan, South Korea all feel the same threat we do about China may pose in the future and on the other side we all have some influence on how fast China Grows....

To be honest I think you will see alot more Russia, U.S., India, Canada, Japan, Australia and Soutbh Korea grow in terms of Co-operation to control China grow but at the sametime China may not be a threat at all and heck if we all work together and stop playing games and tripping on power we could do some amazing things if we work together...

I think we are now just all Cogs in a Global Economy and even if we wanted to go back to the way it was.. It is just not going to happen things have changed so much and now we need to guide the emerging econmies in South America, South Africa and the Asia pacific region in the right direction..

Just So we don't end up with more Rouge nations like NK and Iran that are a threat to all of us and we have little to no influnce over them.
I agree! If as to cooperate together, we will achieve prosperity not one of the nation and of humanity as a whole. it should be in a modern society, only every nation should preserve their culture. I think we should not greatly affect the other peoples of the (country's) if they do not pose a threat to other countries (outside the country)

Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Your missing the point of post - Gold at the end of the day is just piece metal - thats rare and has a high value, but beyond that it does not do anything - all they have done is got a good deal.

What have they actually developed themselves?
They don't really have to, but eventually they will as they get a critical mass of science and engineering knowledge from Chinese students that are currently in the United Staes and other parts of the world attending colleges and universities. Until then, greedy American corporations will gladly give the Chinese technical concessions in order to enter the largest consumer market in the world.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
All with Western companies help, who modernised Japan - Europeans, Who won WW2?

Also there is stupid argument that apparently Asian IQ is higher than European IQ - Whilst its possible that perhaps there is higher average level of IQ - I think if you most of major inventions there from European Decent.
The problem with your thinking is just because thing were that way in the past doesn't mean that they will stay that way in the future.

Remember "Pride cometh before the fall".

China is spending considerably more to educate it's best and brightest than the United States does. Eventually that is going to pay off.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
China's population are getting older cause of the 1 child law. Japan has NO such law but it's starting to lose people. I give India maybe 15 years, tops and THEY'LL cut their families to 2 kids or less.

I ain't that worried about any of them.
Even with those headwinds they will still grow faster than the United States.

You seem to forget that the United States will have its own issues with an aging population much sooner than China or Japan will.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Rising Japan? Rising to ashes? They're running out of people, dude. By 2060, 40 percent of their population will be over 65.
Japan population to shrink by a third by 2060 | World news | guardian.co.uk
And what percentage of the United States population will be over 60 in 2030? We are facing similar problems than Japan and we will probably face them much sooner. However the Japanese people have much higher saving rates than Americans do. Both counties will experience economic headwinds dealing with aging populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies