Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:07 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,981,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The MSM is reporting a spike in autism of 78 percent, and the odds of having an autistic child is now 1 in 88.

CDC: U.S. kids with autism up 78% in past decade - CNN.com

Move along folks, nothing to see here...

They are still trying to push that "better diagnosis" route, but I think that most people believe by now that something is causing autism, and it's something that some powerful interest doesn't want let out of the bag. My three top culprits are:

Vaccines
Food
Pollution

The FDA keeps denying any link between any of those things and autism, even though vaccines have a very clear correlations with autism. So when is the public going to put pressure on the FDA to man up and actually investigate the cause of autism instead of explaining it away? My guess is the same time the worthless FDA bans the policy of rotating the Pharma CEOs through the head FDA positions. In other words, never.
I've noticed that the news media doesn't question why autism rates are rising just that we need "better medical care to manage it". There's no alarm on their part, and I find that alarming.

Rising rates of diabesity, allergies, and autism- all within the past 20 years- should absolutely alarm people. I know I am.

I suspect that our industrialized food production has something to do with all of these modern problems. Of course the FDA and CDC will deny it forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Quick, someone link to that british study about vaccinations!

Remember back in the old days people didn't get cancer....they got consumption or "wasting".

Wonder how many diagnosed sex addict there were too?
Consumption = tb.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,319,444 times
Eventually it will affect such a large portion of our population that society will just collapse.

I hope they find out the cause of this condition. Autism is not about being "different". Autism is a chronic disability that wrecks the lives of whole families. I have come across children and adults afflicted with the condition and my opinions have NEVER been positive.

When I meet these people I never think "Oh, they are just different". Nooo... My opinions are always "Why is that person so loud." Or "Why is that person so ridiculously rude" or "DID THAT CHILD CRAWL OUT OF HELL?!"

Yeah, someone needs to find out what is causing this epidemic. A change like this cannot be accommodated by society and must be stopped.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,400,602 times
Is it global or just in the US?

Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,217,328 times
Quote:
The MSM is reporting a spike in autism of 78 percent, and the odds of having an autistic child is now 1 in 88.

They are still trying to push that "better diagnosis" route, but I think that most people believe by now that something is causing autism, and it's something that some powerful interest doesn't want let out of the bag. My three top culprits are:

Vaccines
Food
Pollution

The FDA keeps denying any link between any of those things and autism, even though vaccines have a very clear correlations with autism. So when is the public going to put pressure on the FDA to man up and actually investigate the cause of autism instead of explaining it away? My guess is the same time the worthless FDA bans the policy of rotating the Pharma CEOs through the head FDA positions. In other words, never.
From the article..."1 in 88 American children has some form of autism spectrum disorder". This would include Aspergers syndrome which was relatively unknown a decade ago.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,806,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
No, the problem here is we have a bunch of people making wild guess without any proven facts...then running with them like it's true.

People who are concerned and frightened willing to gasp at anything so they have feel like they have some control.

Taking bets, half remembered news articles, unsubstantiated claims, and wild guesses are not proof or science.
SCiENCE is a scary 7 letter word. I'd rather trust snake oil salesmen....'cuz I want to believe.

This video never gets old. (Note, Some F Bombs and a little more profanity.)

Penn and Teller on Vaccinations - YouTube

Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,753,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Is it an autism explosion or a diagnosis explosion?
Probably genetic.

Quote:
Today, a breakthrough discovery may offer answers for families like the Murrays. Three new studies involving nearly 11,000 families showed the strongest genetic link to autism yet - a gene mutation present in two-thirds of kids with autism,
Quote:
Using the world's largest DNA database, researchers discovered a defect that disrupts synapses - the way brain cells communicate with each other.
Autism Studies Target Genetic Link - CBS News

Years ago, before we learned more about genetics and DNA, most mental disabilities were all called mental retardation.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:10 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,753,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In the past, autism was a fairly serious disorder. It had to do with failure to bond, and was quite debilitating and was a definite learning disability.

Now any kid that isn't surrounded by 2 dozen close friends at all times, who doesn't particularly like large parties or is a bit of a loner is diagnosed with autism.

All those who in the past used to be labeled as nerds or geeks are now labeled as autistic. They can have straight A's and be called high functioning autistics -- but in the past, autism wasn't viewed as a disorder that allowed you to be high functioning.
This post is nonfactual and total hyperbole!

Please review this:

The DSM IV criteria for the autistic disorders

Old 04-01-2012, 08:24 AM

77,012 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:

Vaccines
Food
Pollution

It has to be something in the living environment, because genes do not change that fast.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This post is nonfactual and total hyperbole!

Please review this:

The DSM IV criteria for the autistic disorders
You probably know few parents.

I know quite a few parents who have a so-called autistic child. The child has been diagnosed with autism, but the parent will say the child is loving and caring, affectionate, only gets C's in school, doesn't have many friends.

According to what you posted, these people would be severely disabled, that's not the case with so-called "mild autism".

I would guess the numbers of severe autism diagnosis where the child has not bonded at all are not up.

With as many cases as they say there are now, all of us would know many parents with a severely autistic child and I can think of only one couple I personally know that have a child that cannot function. Completely different than another case where the child attends school, is especially close to his grandfather, is inquisitive, smiles -- but is diagnosed somehow with the same disorder that has the other couple's child uncommunicative, never smiling, and non-verbal at age 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies