Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 03:03 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times

Advertisements

Jesus said: Blessed are the rich for they shall receive tax cuts.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:06 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I agree,

recently at work, one of my co workers told me that i'm so 'gentle'. I was picked on because of this a lot when i was younger. some guys even threatened to kill me or assault me over this.

I've never liked violence or violent sports like football, boxing etc. I am quiet and like to read and am an empathic person who likes deep conversations. Either people hate this or they love it. it seems like there's no inbetween.

I do agree with the OP it does seem like americans have a disdain for christ like traits, in men, but ironically claim to be very religious.
Interesting points, Rlarson. I've noted this myself many times. Gentleness in males is not a very acceptable trait in America. People talk about the Brits' stiff upper lips? Yeesh, take a look at your average American male and then tell me about it.

Gaze upon an American father's face frozen in horror as his young son picks up a toy baby to play with instead of a truck or gun.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:08 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Exhibit A, OP.

that quote is my point, for every season there's a reason, but in america the season of violence is almost a constant.

even mention good qualities like gentlenes, you know the christ like ones, and some alpha male starts talking about the feminization of america,

america is made up of mostly the warrior mentality, and anything from the gentle spiritual caste of people is referred to 'feminization.

keep in mind when i use the term spiritual cast i'm not referring to religion. religion in amercan has been coopted by the warrior cast.

If Jesus were alive in american today he's be branded as someone pushing 'feminization' because he was for gentleness, unconditional love, and spiritual connection to God. these are all feminine traits, spirituality in general comes from the creative 'feminine' aspects of our mind

Old 03-31-2012, 03:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Well yeah, I think generally speaking Americans are tougher than Europeans and such. Europeans tend to be a lot more girly and feminine. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I do find your question to be pretty offensive in the way you worded it, but.. it's obvious that you wanted to do that.. but hey.. that's typical of you guys.
Passive-aggressiveness.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:10 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I disagree heartily sir. What is your definition of tough?

The opposite of feminine is masculine. The opposite of tough is weak. Weak is not a synonym of feminine nor is masculine a synonym for tough.

Maybe what you need is a dictionary and not a scientist.
You tell me how a guy wearing girl pants and putting lotion all over his body is tough

They might not be the opposites by literal definitions, but they are opposite without a doubt

Old 03-31-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You tell me how a guy wearing girl pants and putting lotion all over his body is tough
tell me how a group of guys assaulting another guy because he is gay or perceived to be gay as being 'tough' from a maturity or spiritual standpoint.

sounds to me like these kinds of guys are really emotionally and mentally weak.

How is being stupid and not getting an education and acting like a tough guy.. TOUGH?

seems to me like loving to learn and actually being intelligent is a lot tougher than being an idiot

Old 03-31-2012, 03:15 PM

487 posts, read 382,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
As I said, of course there are exceptions, and of course everyone writing in this board is an exception, needless to say

Still, I am sure there is also a certain German or French national character...
If we are to truly have an objective and fair discussion here, it might be important to know where you're from. Care to share?

I have traveled throughout Europe quite extensively and I even lived in Italy for awhile. What I learned is that most ethnic stereotypes fall flat. For example, most Americans tend to view Italians as being very loud and boisterous. When I lived in Florence that was hardly the case. In fact, if I were to make a broad generalization, I would say that most Florentines tended to be rather cold, reserved and aloof. Whether my impressions are correct or not, is unimportant. Perhaps, Florentines are different from Sicilians who are different from Romans etc. Furthermore, perhaps wealthy Italians are behaviorally different than poor Italians. See where I'm going with this? A Texan might be different than a New Yorker. A person who lives on the Upper East Side of Manhattan might behave differently than a person from Brooklyn. Usually, broad ethnic generalizations at their cores tend to be logical fallacies.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs0503 View Post
If we are to truly have an objective and fair discussion here, it might be important to know where you're from. Care to share?

I have traveled throughout Europe quite extensively and I even lived in Italy for awhile. What I learned is that most ethnic stereotypes fall flat. For example, most Americans tend to view Italians as being very loud and boisterous. When I lived in Florence that was hardly the case. In fact, if I were to make a broad generalization, I would say that most Florentines tended to be rather cold, reserved and aloof. Whether my impressions are correct or not, is unimportant. Perhaps, Florentines are different from Sicilians who are different from Romans etc. Furthermore, perhaps wealthy Italians are behaviorally different than poor Italians. See where I'm going with this? A Texan might be different than a New Yorker. A person who lives on the Upper East Side of Manhattan might behave differently than a person from Brooklyn. Broad ethnic generalizations are usually considered to be logical fallacies.
im from North Dakota

Old 03-31-2012, 03:17 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I was not even referring to Hollywood. Sometimes I think reality is worse than movies.
Nor did I say anything about being uneducated, this is more about the national character of the US so to speak, despite all the exceptions. I think most countries have a certain national character.
This is a big country and holds pockets of people with very divergent ideas.

On the whole, though, educated people are more prone to use their minds and logic in approach to various situations. Sometimes education brings a certain refinement of perceptions, an appreciation of nuance in conversation.

So, I think your opinion of the people in this country will differ widely depending on the sort of person you've associated with.

Call me naive. I don't think there is much of a national character except a drive for the pursuit of wealth. Most people are not motivated to come here from foriegn shores for freedom, but for better financial prospects.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:18 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I agree,

recently at work, one of my co workers told me that i'm so 'gentle'. I was picked on because of this a lot when i was younger. some guys even threatened to kill me or assault me over this.

I've never liked violence or violent sports like football, boxing etc. I am quiet and like to read and am an empathic person who likes deep conversations. Either people hate this or they love it. it seems like there's no inbetween.

I do agree with the OP it does seem like americans have a disdain for christ like traits, in men, but ironically claim to be very religious.

Wow, I just covered this in another thread!~
Christ was not gentle like folks here apparently claim to be. He knew there was a time/season for EVERYthing, even war. That's why He got so full of righteous Anger that He actually turned over a table in a temple!

Christ told one of his apostles to put away his sword. But...I never hear any gentle folks or preachers going further with that one scripture....

Why was Christ allowing one of his closest aids to travel with a sword?! He was! The sword was "the gun" of their day, the preferred weapon. Christ chose to keep company with this guy and allow him to have the sword as they traveled on foot? or donkey of their day. Hmm.....no pacifist, indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies