Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 03:58 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs0503 View Post
I must apologize for being so candid, but this is the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen.
I have to admit, I would be unable to come up with a thread more retarded than this. (my apologies to those with an IQ from 70 to 85).

'Gentleness' Well, we bailed out Europe twice from war, stopped Japanese aggression, and saved a good chunk of Europe's arses.
I think, instead, we should have given them all a big wet sloppy kiss, held hands, and sang 'kumbaya'.

Personally, I am getting tired of spending money to protect others (those that do not attack the US or its interests), and fix things the way Edward Teller's inventions were designed to do.

'nuff of my rant.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:00 PM

487 posts, read 382,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Had to look up what exactly it means. To a certain extent they probably are.
Just because stereotypes are not always positive or pc, doesn't mean there is nothing to them.
Anyway, this thread is not about Germans. Feel free to open a thread on them if you feel like it
What I'm trying to get at, is that there are gentle, aggressive, racist, compassionate, strict, lazy, hard working, stupid, intelligent, tall, short, fat, skinny people in every country all over the world.

What about the shooting in Norway last year? Are all Norwegians racist? Or anti-muslim?

Old 03-31-2012, 04:01 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
We have great actors, but for the most part we don't speak English in our movies, nor do we make the sheer mass of movies Hollywood can afford to make, so you are rather unlikely to see non-American movies.
Watch a typical French or Portuguese movie, though, and you will notice the difference.
I watch many foreign films from all over the world. The caliber of actors in the USA is undoubtedly better, not only that but the camera quality never looks quite as nice either. I like French films because they tend to be more serious than American movies, but the quality just really doesn't compare.

One country that does make good moves is South Korea.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
What I'm trying to get at, is that there are gentle, aggressive, racist, compassionate, strict, lazy, hard working, stupid, intelligent, tall, short, fat, skinny people in every country all over the world.

What about the shooting in Norway last year? Are all Norwegians racist? Or anti-muslim?

You just spoke waaaay over the OP's comprehension level.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:08 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:

I guess you are unrealistic, frankly. I am myself lazy and rather relaxed, which is why I never liked Germany and went away. There is definitely a national character and mentality, regardless of exceptions.

Why do you keep implying I am saying ALL nationals of country x are like this or that? I never said that...

Old 03-31-2012, 04:13 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I watch many foreign films from all over the world. The caliber of actors in the USA is undoubtedly better, not only that but the camera quality never looks quite as nice either. I like French films because they tend to be more serious than American movies, but the quality just really doesn't compare.

Funny, I think the opposite, most American actors are not good at all. Yes, the camera is different, of course. Lighting is also different. Everything is different. European movies tend to be more natural, less staged.
I can tell a Brazilian Globo soap apart from a Brazilian Record soap within 3 seconds, just from the way the image looks. Brazilians have excellent actors by the way.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:14 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

That's not true at all, concerning caliber of actors. If that was really the case, why are there so many European & Australian actors and actresses landing major roles in top Hollywood movies and in mainstream movies in general? Michael Fassbender, Christian Bale, Ewan McGregor, Russell Crowe, Heath Ledger (RIP), Alexander Skarsgård, Javier Bardem and Noomi Rapace to name but a few.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:16 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Goldengrain said,"When it came to politics/taxes he said to render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's. In other words: don't rock the boat; go along to get along."

No, not what He said "in other words." It's what you want it to mean that He was saying at that time.
He was simply saying to do what is right and give to Caesar what truly should go to Caesar. That also says give ONLY to him what "is his."

Jesus was one of perfect justice and truth. Caesar has grown exceedingly wicked and we have every right to force Caesar onto a diet, and refuse to pay him more than a govt. should ever be trying to take.

Jesus was in no way a "go along to get along" kind of dude! Mercy....were He, then He would not have turned over a table in a place of worship. He also would not have told his close apostle to put away His sword, but He would've "gone along" with him.

Jesus was blunt and His words were piercing to the bone marrow. Jesus didn't spare peoples' pride. The Scribes and Pharisees were the ones He accused of being "dead mens' bones in whitewashed tombs. THAT certainly was not a fella that was "going along to get along."

Jesus was perfectly patient but He spoke with such authority and bluntness, not gentleness when needed that He clearly expected folks to "go along to get along" with Him, and not the other way around.

Surely this is why the people voted to have Barrabas released and leave Jesus in jail, to die.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Default If this thread doesn't meet the trolling criteria then what does?

Gee, yet another bash America thread by the OP. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
That's not true at all, concerning caliber of actors. If that was really the case, why are there so many European & Australian actors and actresses landing major roles in top Hollywood movies and in mainstream movies in general? Michael Fassbender, Christian Bale, Ewan McGregor, Russell Crowe, Heath Ledger (RIP), Alexander Skarsgård, Javier Bardem and Noomi Rapace to name but a few.

Because the best of the best come to USA and live here, leaving the actors who aren't quite as good in Europe. I'm not saying Europeans can't be good actors, that would be crazy... but the best ones come to USA where the real money is.

The quality in a French movie vs an American movie just does not compete. That's not even touching TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies