Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
No need for luck when you have God on your side, he will provide.
How then do the working poor exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 03:53 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No, that is faulty logic. When you make a purchase for a good, the tax is added, and you don't have a choice.

One does not need to buy a lottery ticket.
If you really want to you can avoid sales tax. For starters you could make all of your purchases in a state with no sales tax (they do still exist). Buy used, buy online, etc. It's a difference of degree, not of kind.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:55 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Most of the people that I know who are heavy lottery players are barely making ends meet.

This just goes to show that people have misplaced priorities.
No different than wasting your liver away at Happy Hour or scarring your lungs with cigarettes.
The first of the month wonders were out in force with that Mega Millions Jackpot a modern day Beverly Hills rags to riches fantasy while living off the government or should I say the backs of hard working Americans.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:31 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
The amount of money that the poor spends on lotto tickets doesn't even come close to all the money that they receive in welfare benefits, WIC, EIC and other redistribution schemes.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
A curious observation but in fact it largely is a tax on the poor and those with more hope than reason.

Indeed there will be a winner but with the odds being 1 in 176 million. It would be more likely to have a hole in one...in fact more likely to have 2 of them in one day.... Does anyone in CD know someone first hand that got a hole in one? I know 3 lottery winners.... kind of odd but true.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:24 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
The type of people that are needy and waste precious money on the lottery are probably, and not all of them but the type of folks that mismanage their money on a lot of things.

I am not needy and used to spend two bucks a week on the lottery. the most I ever won was 99. dollars for matching four of the six numbers in the original Texas lottery. I cashed that thing in quickly, drove to the nearest HEB and didn't even splurge except to buy our daughters some Blue Bell Ice cream.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:25 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Of course, it's not a tax. It's a voluntary participation in a game of chance. The 1%ers never buy lottery tickets.
Why should they? They're the ones printing them, along with paper money and promissory notes. Those pesky 1%'ers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The amount of money that the poor spends on lotto tickets doesn't even come close to all the money that they receive in welfare benefits, WIC, EIC and other redistribution schemes.
Good point - so it's actually the middle class and wealthy that are paying for their lotto tickets THROUGH welfare and social programs. Go Team!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Don't they realize that if they win, they may end up being part of the dreaded "one percent"?

Everybody has the right to dream. We have occasional lottery pools at work, but only for the really big jackpots.
They won't be in the 1% for long seems how the majority of lottery winners go overboard with spending and end up bankrupt.

I am someone who worked for a store that sold lottery tickets on a daily basis. The majority who came in were poor people who were looking for an easy way to get rich, by not working of course. I even had one lady ask me if she could buy lottery tickets with her food stamp card. She got real mad at me when I told her she couldn't. When the jackpot was large, then I would see pretty much everyone come in and play.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Most of the people that I know who are heavy lottery players are barely making ends meet.

They are free to choose if they want to engage in the lottery or not.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:

Freedom of choice and the responsibility that comes with it.

The real tax against the poor is inflation by the printing of money to cover out of control spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies