Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do with "the poor"?
Help them, provide assistance and do all we can to end poverty 59 50.43%
Nothing (leave them to sink or swim) 24 20.51%
Punish them for their so-called bad decision making 3 2.56%
Euthanise them or encourage euthanasia to people who have lost hope 7 5.98%
Other (explain) 24 20.51%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,223 times

Advertisements

We can talk "should" and "should not" all day long in terms of government assistance programs. If we did away with them, but a small fraction of those being helped currently would get any help at all, because America is just flat not generous enough to give what's needed - and I mean for bare necessities - willingly. It's just that simple. And I really do wonder how many of the strict "Let them help themselves" types here have ever even been poor (Cue the shady "I went from bum to businessman in five weeks, thanks to Self-Discipline" stories). Does giving a miniscule portion of your income to the poor really bother you all that much? Does it suck so bad to have to postpone buying a new car a whole week? /rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:49 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,549 times
Almost half of the "poor" own homes. We have folks that are obese, not starving. America is the most charitable nation on earth.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:51 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
What would Jesus do?

I think we all know.

Jesus said the poor would always be with us. Something tells me the man was talking in abstract terms that the average rube of that time couldn't even comprehend.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:10 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Almost half of the "poor" own homes. We have folks that are obese, not starving. America is the most charitable nation on earth.
Again, these people would be homeless and starving if we left it all up to "the people" being charitable without government assistance. We've built a charitable system, at best.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
Require the poor to volunteer 20 hours a week cleaning highways, much like they are doing to Unemployed Recipients in some states. (if they are receiving public assistance) Get them on buses, take them there and have them beautify the highways.

If they are disabled, have them volunteer in other ways.

The free ride needs to be over for the chronically lazy.

Note: I did not say all public assistance recipients are lazy, but there are some in every city....

And not all poor folks are lazy (I grew up poor) but break the chronic free ride chain by providing them with something to do, to help give back to society....

If they are too old or too sick to do highway work, have them help in easier ways.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:40 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Require the poor to volunteer 20 hours a week cleaning highways, much like they are doing to Unemployed Recipients in some states. (if they are receiving public assistance) Get them on buses, take them there and have them beautify the highways.

Note: I did not say all public assistance recipients are lazy, but there are some in every city....

And not all poor folks are lazy (I grew up poor) but break the chronic free ride chain by providing them with something to do, to help give back to society....

If they are too old or too sick to do highway work, have them help in easier ways.

I think thats the key

Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

If I were unemployed, I would have no problem at all with that or with volunteering in general. I do think that free training is important too though.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I have two words for you.

Hunger
Games
I think we want to prevent something like that from ever happening. Back to topic though there is no easy solution there is no one easy fix. One thing we have to do is separate the lazy poor and the poor who are trying.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateverhere View Post
Why can't we just deport all people that are on welfare? This country would be a lot wealthier.
Deport them to where, exactly? And you do realize we'd just have to keep deporting endlessly, since "getting rid" of the current poor wouldn't actually end poverty. Really now, I think you need to take a basic course on sociology.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
One thing we have to do is separate the lazy poor and the poor who are trying.
How do you propose we do that? People can and do lie (look at how many fabricate job searches while on UI), so I'm not really sure how this would be logistically possible. I mean, who would answer "NO" when you asked them if they were trying? And in this day & age, so many people aren't lying about having difficulty finding work. Or do you think the millions of unemployed Americans just aren't trying hard enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies