Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:56 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,481,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Taking me out of context won't fly and mis-quoting won't either.

I neither stated it doesn't happen elsewhere nor implied it already hadn't.

I stated "to the same extent" and you'll convince the world pigs can fly before your comparisons of what has happened elsewhere equates in any way to the MANY school shootings that have happened in the U.S.

You are obviously a student of the word "tragedy" and have narrowed it to it's finest definition of how many students must die to constitute a tragedy. What, may I ask, is that number?

You do also realize that cops are all armed and how many of them are killed each year by nutbars with guns while armed citizens are perhaps within yards and have no effect on the deed at all. Senator Gifford and others getting shot in Az, one of the per-capita highest for armed citizens, and not one of the bystanders were armed? C'mon get real here, you could arm the entire population and all it would achieve is more people dying not less.

One student/person dying from a shooting is a tragedy and I guarandamntee you, any nutbar is going to get the drop on all of you with your glocks in your backpacks or desks or janitor aprons and get some of you before you end his spree. The only "tragedy" you will have prevented by arming MORE idiots in schools is the subsequent trial of the perp.
You're living in a fantasy land if you think you can ban guns and end this stuff. You can't ban knowledge, and any machinist can make a gun. These crazy killers don't care what law you pass, either.

So you propose that, because guns aren't magical and don't prevent all tragic murder by crazies, that we disarm all the innocent?

A shooter might get one or two or a few people but wouldn't get dozens as has happened in some instances where everyone was defenseless. I'd rather have a fighting chance than be entirely at the mercy of an insane murderer.

Armed students stopped a potentially much larger massacre at Appalachian School of Law:

Appalachian School of Law shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
My distorted sense of reality portrayed in my post is founded upon these uncertainties: who will decide which persons are qualified to carry within school environs?
Will that person or entity be accountable if the very person authorized to carry is the one who goes postal?
Are you going to rely upon the normal CCW licensing procedure to adequately screen who will carry, from students to janitiors, and be relied upon as a first responder at a school shooting? Let me know how that works out for ya.
How many students are in the typical classroom of today 25, - 30? Without the teacher being armed whose going to stop a fellow student from having a turkey shoot. The principal in his office on the first floor and opposite end of the school? Get real - as in reality.

My goodness; it would seem my distorted sense of reality is bringing all sorts of questions to the forum YOU can't answer.

You stated no facts but merely hypothesized the shooting would not have occurred if the 1000 yard embargo weren't in place. That's not a fact but an opinion based on what?

Perhaps the definition of fact is where you should start before hypothesizing more guns would solve the problem.

I came to no conclusions but stated opinions of my own in response to yours.
Again reread my original post on the subject without the Brady lenses.

I only stated facts. Feel free to specifically quote any statement in my original post that is conjecture.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:05 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Quick, let's rush to judgment and blame whatever group, religion, sexual orientation, political affiliation, race etc etc etc.

Pile on everybody, pile on!
I only blame the shooter. Now tie a rope around his nuts and drag him behind a parol car for a few miles, that would be a good start. Ohh, if by chance the shooter was female, delete nuts and insert boobies.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:09 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm confident that it's partly due to the Trophy For Every Kidâ„¢ philosophy that society has adopted.
I was thinking that as well. In a society where everyone is a winner when the brutal reality becomes apparent many people may not know how to cope.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You're living in a fantasy land if you think you can ban guns and end this stuff. You can't ban knowledge, and any machinist can make a gun. These crazy killers don't care what law you pass, either.

So you propose that, because guns aren't magical and don't prevent all tragic murder by crazies, that we disarm all the innocent?

A shooter might get one or two or a few people but wouldn't get dozens as has happened in some instances where everyone was defenseless. I'd rather have a fighting chance than be entirely at the mercy of an insane murderer.

Armed students stopped a potentially much larger massacre at Appalachian School of Law:

Appalachian School of Law shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who said anything about banning weapons? Not I.

You base your response on one instance where students of an age so as to allow them to carry were able to forestall a "larger massacre" .

Fine and dandy; now how would this apply to public schools grades 1 to 12. Columbine ring a bell? Which of those students would have had the mental maturity to carry? Once those kids opened up with their automatic rifles etc., the only thing on the minds of everyone in that building was how the hell to get out of there tuite-suite.

You suggesting maybe a 15 year old from another class or far part of the building who was carrying also would have gone on the attack and searched them out to dispatch them ala Wyatt Earp? Nuts just plain nuts. You're the ones living in a fantasyland of Hollywood dimensions.

Which of those teachers would you have your daughter or son sit in front of knowing beforehand they had a weapon in their desk and perhaps a recent messy divorce? An armed teacher is the first one shot now what; another gun for the crazy to use?

How in god's name does you defending yourself come into a discussion about schools and prepubescent kids?

Last edited by BruSan; 04-02-2012 at 08:54 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 06:10 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm confident that it's partly due to the Trophy For Every Kid™ philosophy that society has adopted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I was thinking that as well. In a society where everyone is a winner when the brutal reality becomes apparent many people may not know how to cope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
I'm pretty sure that President Obama, Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson will ALL be speaking out on this...
How does any of this seem relevant to a 40yo Korean immigrant, who had a personal axe to grind along with (assumed) mental illness? Nice way to jump to conclusions, as usual.

The guy was disturbed and dangerous, so all we can really say is condolences to the victims - and may he pay appropriately for his crimes (they're already talking death penalty). Sorry to break the news, but this incident doesn't appear to have any political or racial undertones for you all to debate. I guess that's why the thread died once details started emerging, huh?

Old 04-07-2012, 06:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I only blame the shooter. Now tie a rope around his nuts and drag him behind a parol car for a few miles, that would be a good start. Ohh, if by chance the shooter was female, delete nuts and insert boobies.
And that's how it should be..blame the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies