Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Do you have any email accounts? This is no different than an employer asking for access to your personal email accounts.

I'll bet you feel different about it now.
Still don't care.... the most awful thing they can get me on is telling my friends where I am traveling to for mountain climbing

They are going to stone me for that one

But thanks for telling me how I feel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Because the employer obviously doesn't find you that valuable, and could probably think of another million reasons to not hire you in the first place (not that he's even obligated to think of one, it being a voluntary agreement).

You're not going to give employees more leverage at the bargaining table than they have by passing laws like this.

Funny, I always thought that your best leverage to get a job was your qualifications to do the job.....not what you did in your personal life..... ya know....like what religion you choose to practice or whether you choose to ride a motorcycle, etc.

And how is this any different from an employer making any other unreasonable demand such as a substandard wage for your skill set, or hours that destroy your personal life? With the innuendo that if you say no you won't get the job of course.
Wages and hours is business, what you post on a private Facebook account is personal.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Still don't care.... the most awful thing they can get me on is telling my friends where I am traveling to for mountain climbing

They are going to stone me for that one

But thanks for telling me how I feel
Uh Oh.....sorry.....don't want to hire a mountain climber.....health insurance issues.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:13 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Funny, I always thought that your best leverage to get a job was your qualifications to do the job.....not what you did in your personal life..... ya know....like what religion you choose to practice or whether you choose to ride a motorcycle, etc.
It is. That's why any employer who asks for your facebook password is a complete and total idiot just for wasting the time alone. But that has nothing to do with my position. I don't think it's my place to decide how idiotically employers go about selecting their workers. Stop trying to protect stupid employers from themselves.

Quote:
Wages and hours is business, what you post on a private Facebook account is personal.
Criminal records are "personal" too, but I'd sure as hell check those. But all that aside, I'm talking about what the law should be.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:17 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
I bet they added the dream act to the bill, like they did with don't ask don't tell.

As far as I am aware, it is already illegal to ask for certain information, such as facebook password.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
It is. That's why any employer who asks for your facebook password is a complete and total idiot just for wasting the time alone. But that has nothing to do with my position. I don't think it's my place to decide how idiotically employers go about selecting their workers. Stop trying to protect stupid employers from themselves.

Criminal records are "personal" too, but I'd sure as hell check those. But all that aside, I'm talking about what the law should be.
Criminal records are public domain.....not private like a Facebook account or a diary.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I;d bet there are riders to the bill to which means democrats did not care ;just want a issue for the election. Fed the maddenig crowd.If your unhappy things you want where not voted thru then gripe at democratis control during last two years Bush was president thru first two year Obama was. Those two years were bullet proof for anyhting Democrats really wanted to pass.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:33 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Criminal records are public domain.....not private like a Facebook account or a diary.
When you are hired for a job, you give your employer private information in order to run your background, sometimes your credit score, etc.

Not that I'm trying to equate those with a facebook password, but like I said, irrelevant. My point remains.

Much ado about nothing.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Right to privacy? WTF is that?
You don't have a right to privacy in a public place, like on FacePuke or it's predecessor MyPuke, just like you don't have a right to privacy in any other public place.

No doubt, you have confused "internet" with "intranet."

Sincerely....

Mircea
Chief Inspector
Vocabulary Police
English Language Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
What else was in the bill?
Good point.

Just because a member of congress votes against a bill it doesn't mean they actually voted against the bill...it could be that they voted against other provisions in the bill not related to the main bill or to $Millions in pork or ear-marks.

Curiously...

Mircea

Quote:
Why of course.....because your employer OWNS you...... lock, stock and barrel. Your employer has EVERY RIGHT to know EVERYTHING you do.

We should all be required to give them a key to our homes too.

No need to get over-emotional about it.

Quote:
Of course you don't......just no job for you.

After all, there are soooooo many jobs out there to choose from.

And, what about when ALL employers start demanding this information? Too bad for you?
What about it?

They would be stupid not to ask for that information.

If you're on FacePuke and you are threatening or bullying another, or you are making threats against your employer's clients, or against the clients of another employer, perhaps a competitor, your employer may be criminally or civilly liable.

I tell you what, you can keep your damn FacePuke password as long as you obtain and maintain throughout your entire employment, oh, I don't know, let's say $6 Million worth of Errors & Omissions Insurance.

If you purchase $6 Million in E&O Insurance (and $6 Million should just about cover any legal damages to your employer stemming from your actions) then it's not really a big deal, except that will cost you about
$1,200 per month (I was paying $750 per month for E&O and General Casualty/Loss up to $1 Million).

How long have you lived in the US? What, a whole 3 days or something?

I've spent 3 or more days in over 37 countries on 4 continents and 30 days or more in 19 countries.

Generally speaking...US Society (as a whole) is totally dysfunctional.

You have a woman (and I use the term loosely) out there who claims to be channeling aliens from Zeta Reticula and that an invisible planet called Nibiru is on a collsion course with Earth or something. Her name is Nancy Lieder or as usually write, Nancy LIEder.

And tens of thousands of people believe what she says.

You have Jose Arguelles, the art historian who incorrectly interpreted a Mayan calendar that the Mayans didn't even invent and claiming the world will end in 2012.

And he's got Millions of people believing him....and now he claims to be the incarnation of Votan on Earth.

And then you got your Whitley Schriebers, and then your school shootings and postal shootings and your reality shows and all of the other insanity.

It's actually easier to be a christian in Afghanistan and hang out with the Taliban than it is to be anything in the US.

Hell, probably the sanest people I ever met lived in tribal villages in the mountains of Burkino Faso.

Anyway, the potential for an employer to create either criminal or civil liability for their employer is incredibly high.

Quote:
You have conflated "personal" with "private."

They are not the same thing.

What you post on FacePuke might be personal, but it is not private...it is very public.

Sincerely....

Mircea
Chief Inspector
Vocabulary Police
English Language Division

Quote:
I wasn't aware there was a law requiring that all employees must answer any and all questions asked by employers.
It's about 1,200 years old.

It's referred to as the Master-Servant Relationship and it is derived from English Common Law (as are most criminal and civil laws in the US).

Under the concept of the Master-Servant Relationship, the Master.....read "Employer"......is responsible for the actions of his Servant.....read "Employee".......and now that you all have at least some idea of what the Master-Servant Relationship is all about, you can see why employers would be in a panic.

An employer is responsible for the actions of their employees, and thanks to incredibly liberal interpretations by judges (and juries), that often extends to the actions of employees when they are not "on the clock."

Quote:
Employers are not dictators. If employers were dictators, we'd all be making minimum wage with no benefits.
That's true, but some idiots just can't grasp the concept.

However, while employers might not be dictators, they are your masters.

Legally...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Gov't agencies shouldn't be able to do this, but private employers have the right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
To what?
To anything that affects them.

In typical liberal fashion, you want to be able to do anything but never be burdened with responsibility, especially for the consequences, and of course everyone else should pay for it.

If you don't like the climate you have created, then un-create it.

Logically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Just tell them that you don't have FB page and keep it moving.
That would be fraudulent.

Someone like me would easily discover your FacePuke account.

Hell, a small child can find out if someone has a FacePuke account.

Sensibly...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Do you have any email accounts? This is no different than an employer asking for access to your personal email accounts.

I'll bet you feel different about it now.
My e-mail account is not published on the world wide web for all see.

No one has access to my e-mail account but me.

That totally destroys your analogy. Your FacePuke account is not like a private diary or journal, and certainly nothing like an e-mail account.

What if your child was posting things about you and your spouse on FacePuke?

You know, like all of the argument you have, and everything that you and your spouse do, and what if that included photos as well?

What if your child was posting info on their FacePuke account about their sibling ...your other child...? Do you want the whole world to know that your daughter is a mallslut (while you remain oblivious)t? Do you want the whole world to see your son with 14 years doing drugs, drinking, having sex, committing hate crimes or engaging in criminal activity, like gang beatings and stuff?

Great parenting there.

I bet you'd be demanding your child's FacePuke password in a heartbeat.

Analogizing properly...

Mircea

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-03-2012 at 04:34 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
I have serious doubts about any organization that asks for a password, and even more doubts about a person who surrenders it willingly.

Friend-ing a potential employer, or sitting down with them and walking them through your Facebook page, is one thing. Sadly, there have been plenty of cases, where stupid people who posted stupid things to Facebook, have made entire organizations look pitiful. That's why employers might be prompted to look around the internet to see if they are hiring a potential disaster.

I'm surprised, however, that any employer would consider the voluntary surrender of a password securing any digital assets, no matter how insignificant, an action worthy of reward. Someone who willingly drops a password to their personal assets just to get a job, could sink an entire company with the same action. If all it takes to start spewing passwords, is a "good reason" (like maybe getting hired), what other "good reason" might convince them to give up passwords that don't even secure their own personal stuff? There is no way I would look at someone giving me a password in a favorable light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies