Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 02:36 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times

Advertisements

Mexico is a good example of what happens when only the criminals are allowed to own guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 02:37 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,322 times
B/c gun control has work so well for Mexico?

Old 04-03-2012, 02:39 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,162,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
B/c gun control has work so well for Mexico?
Mexican constitution guarantees gun ownership.

I find it hilarous that in one thread members blame Obama and his policies for the proliferation of gun violence in Mexico, yet in another thread condemn a Mexican who alludes to similar claims.

Real smart people

Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post

I find it hilarous that in one thread members blame Obama and his policies for the proliferation of gun violence in Mexico, yet in another thread condemn a Mexican who alludes to similar claims.

Real smart people
There is one gun shop in the entire country in Mexico City called the Directorate of Arms and Munitions Sales on a military base. If you find it you can buy one small caliber hand gun and 200 rounds a year. Most don't even know about it because it's against the law for them to advertise.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post

Real smart people
Even though Article 10 of the Mexican Constitution declares the right to bear arms, it is currently illegal in Mexico for any civilian to own a firearm of any caliber used, tested, or currently in use by the Mexican Government or Military.

That's gotta suck.

Gun law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No wonder my friends in TJ hide their guns in their houses. He tells me, "Cause the Cops ain't comin".

Old 04-03-2012, 03:12 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its not the gun laws that need to change, its the prohibition of drugs.

As long as there is a demand for illegal substances, there will be a demand for guns by those breaking the law to secure their profits.

End the war on drugs, the cartels will quit killing people because able bodied individuals would provide for the demand within the bounds of the law.

Bingo, one person gets it. Thats a start.
That being said Mexicos plan to keep guns out is to post a no guns sign at their border. Some days they may even ask if you have a gun.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:26 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its not the gun laws that need to change, its the prohibition of drugs.

As long as there is a demand for illegal substances, there will be a demand for guns by those breaking the law to secure their profits.

End the war on drugs, the cartels will quit killing people because able bodied individuals would provide for the demand within the bounds of the law.

You do have some valid points here. The demand for drugs, also within this Country is so dang high. Can't people get the frig high on life and not drugs.
Take the demand away, i feel things would change, for how much better, that i am not sure of. Anything would be better.
My choice of drugs is one glass of wine every night, that is it. Bad italian at that too i guess.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,322 times
Calderon reminds me of Congresman "Hoodie" of South Chicago, blaming everyday violence on guns, nevermind the drug economy.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:30 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
This here. The Drug War costs us $6Billion Dollars a year at the Federal Level, and probably pretty close to incalculable at the State level. Imagine how much the deficit could be helped with that money!
Most of our jails, justice system, and police costs are associated with the war on drugs. The number is well into the triple digit billions on public cost. Not to mention the lack of tax revenue.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
How do you say 'go fock yourself' in Spanish?

He aught to deal with his own country before dictating to us. And he wonders why so many Americans despise Mexico and the Mexican government in particular. If Calderon wants us to help him he needs to stop insulting our national sovereignty.
Because we keep our mouth shut on others sovereign nations business so much.

We would never tell Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, China, or any other in a laundry list of countries what they need to do.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies