U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 PM

419 posts, read 286,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm glad you brought that up! Not only are poor people having children they can't afford (Medicaid), they also pony up to the Government Teat via WIC after the child is born....to the tune of 9 million women per year!

So tell me....how exactly does that fit into the personal responsibility theme that I promote on this forum?

It doesn't! That's why it's disgusting what this nation has become in the sense that personal responsbility is non-existent in a very large portion of our society.

And what do you we get from you and your cohorts? "Oh well! That's life!"
What are YOU doing to combat this problem? What will you and your cohorts do besides sit on the computer and B*tch about it? Enough talk. Take Action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 04:51 PM

5,901 posts, read 4,883,014 times
Quote:
I'm glad you brought that up! Not only are poor people having children they can't afford (Medicaid), they also pony up to the Government Teat via WIC after the child is born....to the tune of 9 million women per year!

So tell me....how exactly does that fit into the personal responsibility theme that I promote on this forum?

It doesn't! That's why it's disgusting what this nation has become in the sense that personal responsbility is non-existent in a very large portion of our society.

And what do you we get from you and your cohorts? "Oh well! That's life!"
OMG, you're against WIC, too? Who would have thought that infant formula (or supplemental food for nursing mothers) was so evil? Yes, let's have more children suffering with nutritional deficiencies in this country...excellent way to nurture the next generation of working adults, dontcha think?

Why do you hate poor children? They do exist in families of the working poor, you know.

I'm amazed at the abundance of antifreeze passing as blood in some people...

Quote:
However, the WIC program is one of the most cost-effective government programs. A study of birth outcomes showed benefit-to-cost ratios ranging from $1.77 to $3.13 in Medicaid costs saved for each $1 spent on WIC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIC#General_services

Quote:
As a supplemental nutrition assistance program, WIC provides vouchers for specific foods that supply target nutrients—specifically protein, iron, vitamins A and C, and calcium—identified as lacking in the diets of low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women and their infants and young children. WIC-approved food categories include milk, eggs, cheese, cereal (hot and cold), infant cereal, juice, peanut butter, dried beans or peas, canned tuna, carrots, and infant formula.
http://www.ers.usda.gov/AmberWaves/September04/Features/infantformula.htm (broken link)

Last edited by rayneinspain; 04-03-2012 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 05:09 PM

14,506 posts, read 22,054,217 times
gizmo is right this is a duplicate thread....

Old 04-03-2012, 05:10 PM

6,156 posts, read 3,661,000 times
It's ridiculous to think that scaling back medicaid will result in an substantial improvement of the collective responsibility of those in poverty. Although I don't think that was the OP's point anyway...

It's equally ridiculous to think these statistics are just "how it is" and impossible to change, and it's dangerous for a society to accept them as an unavoidable reality and become apathetic to them. Anyone familiar with poverty in America (ie not living in liberal la-la land) with an objective view knows this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyone57 View Post
What are YOU doing to combat this problem? What will you and your cohorts do besides sit on the computer and B*tch about it? Enough talk. Take Action.
Is this the new standard cop-out argument for 2012 or something? I must not have gotten the memo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Why do you hate poor children? They do exist in families of the working poor, you know.

I'm amazed at the abundance of antifreeze passing as blood in some people...
Twisting your opponent's position and dismissing his argument with your only retort being to call him a big meany doesn't work past the 7th grade.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,222,028 times
Quote:
How about not getting pregnant until you're ready?! How about exercising whatever pre-cautions are necessary, including abstinence and multiple layers of birth control, in order to prevent pregnancy.
Expecting people NOT to have sex is like pissing upstream, messy and pointless. Oh, and you DO realise that BC is not 100% effective right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyone57 View Post
I understand it perfectly. Unfortunately this isn't a perfect world were everything is black and white. So you can keep living in your fantasy world or you can come back to earth and realize abortions is a valid option. Your taxes will ALWAYS pay for bad decisions. ALWAYS. Just the nature of the beast. You can keep yelling until you're blue in the face or just accept it.
Exactly!

Quote:
The post was in response to illegal immigrants.....who by the way don't qualify for Medicaid.....which is the subject of the OP.
Wake up to reality kiddo, illegals DO recieve medicaid as well as food stamps, and welfare checks. Seriosuly, you have never heard of them stealing someone else's SSN?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Abstinence works 100% of the time!
Try again.

Quote:
Having sex is not the issue....having unprotected, caution-less, irresponsible sex is the issue.
You can STILL get pregnant using BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
$97, total, from start to finish INCLUDING the standard 5-day post-natal hospital stay. What would my arrival have cost today in our insane medical system...50 grand? 100 grand?
Probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Women who have multiple abortions or multiple children (which they expect someone else to provide for) or expect others to provide their contraceptives for them are sluts.
And psudo-males who subscribe to this ignorant logic are mysogenistic chauvinist pigs who don't have the first clue about reality.

Sorry.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:13 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,231,197 times
Your govt wants all that money for those funds. That is how it makes profit, that is why it wants to handle all these programs. Never mind all the related profiters feeding at the trough. (hint: they ain't poor people)
If all those poor people could compete in a "real" economy and have quality of life then maybe better decisions could be made.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:16 PM

9,914 posts, read 6,815,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Is it safe to assume you are not a relationship counselor?
Just speaking from experience.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 PM

6,156 posts, read 3,661,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
You can STILL get pregnant using BC.
Oh look, this tired old argument. The chances are slim. We also have these things called condoms. Combine the two, and you're looking at 98-99% effectiveness easy.

If you are responsible, chances are you can avoid pregnancy. Anyone who's been around today's typical teen mom knows damn well that baby wasn't born because her birth control failed.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 PM

9,914 posts, read 6,815,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Well, considering that you've never had a chance to be in touch with anything side, even a little might sound out of place.
Do I know you?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:18 PM

2,890 posts, read 4,788,101 times
And we can't provide free birth control, because we might offend somebody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies