U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 07:29 PM

23,852 posts, read 17,799,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I sure hope you meant to say a PREGNANT Hispanic 16yo, since projecting future stability based on race wouldn't be very tolerant (or logical) of you. Even so, why did you have to specify Hispanic? Wouldn't a pregnant non-Hispanic teen be just as likely to need welfare for her child?
Yes, I meant "pregnant."

Hispanic because that's what I saw. I see no need to parse words to appease your feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 PM

5,901 posts, read 4,885,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
We just saw a young (16ish) Hispanic female in the grocery store. Is there any question in my mind that she won't be able to afford bringing that baby into the world? Not one question. Without a doubt, she will be another expensive statistic, as will her kid.

Why am I supposed to be responsible for funding her (and his) irresponsible actions?

Someone feel free to school me. I'm all ears!
I understand your frustrations regarding Medicaid, but given that sexual activity is not legislated, that children are not summarily removed from maternity patients based on economic status, and that it is inherently inhumane to deny prenatal care to poor women, what is your alternative? The hospital bill gets paid one way or another (higher premiums, higher charges, etc).

If we turn away patients in labor due to inability to pay, then we will see infant mortality skyrocket. Sound good to you?

I'm afraid that, for now, you may have to resign yourself to either feel disgusted and pissed off, or let some of that anger go.

Because from where I'm sitting, we can 1) legislate (ie, criminalize) reproduction, 2) forcibly sterilize the poor, 3) increase funding for programs dealing with sexual education and lower cost birth control, or 4) we begin forcibly removing all children from poor parents without regard for the family unit.

None of the alternatives are without cost.

What is it you want to see happen, exactly?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
My post had nothing to do with any of those things.

My post was referencing the point trying to be made that "personal responsible" people who can pony up the cost of a hospital birth are the only ones that should be having children.

My point is - how much money is it going to take to make one "personally responsible"? There are plenty of people that can afford to raise a child on a daily basis that can't come up with the requisite upfront cost of an expensive hospital delivery.

My point was - having a baby in a hospital because you really have no other choice and being able to raise one well on a modest income are two totally different kettle of fish. It doesn't necessarily follow that because the first is out of reach that the second is too.

My objection is - it's becoming an elitist sport to be able to "afford" to even deliver a child, and the fact that one can't come up with $9000 - $20,000 to cover the cost shouldn't make one a target for the "personally responsible" moral police.
Who should pay for birth in America? The pro-creative citizen or the government?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM

20,367 posts, read 8,827,857 times
This is a message to hispanics , the legal ones.. not to go the way of welfare.

A Message to the Hispanics - YouTube

Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 PM

8,948 posts, read 6,115,361 times
Quote:
Who should pay for birth in America? The pro-creative citizen or the government?
The parents.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I understand your frustrations regarding Medicaid, but given that sexual activity is not legislated, that children are not summarily removed from maternity patients based on economic status, and that it is inherently inhumane to deny prenatal care to poor women, what is your alternative? The hospital bill gets paid one way or another (higher premiums, higher charges, etc).

If we turn away patients in labor due to inability to pay, then we will see infant mortality skyrocket. Sound good to you?

I'm afraid that, for now, you may have to resign yourself to either feel disgusted and pissed off, or let some of that anger go.

Because from where I'm sitting, we can 1) legislate (ie, criminalize) reproduction, 2) forcibly sterilize the poor, 3) increase funding for programs dealing with sexual education and lower cost birth control, or 4) we begin forcibly removing all children from poor parents without regard for the family unit.

None of the alternatives are without cost.

What is it you want to see happen, exactly?
You forgot one....the most important of all:

5) Live personally responsible lives through good decision-making, common sense, and logic. And don't have kids you can't afford.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:49 PM

6,156 posts, read 3,666,849 times
Quote:
5) Live personally responsible lives through good decision-making, common sense, and logic. And don't have kids you can't afford.
You sick bastard.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM

5,901 posts, read 4,885,817 times
Quote:
You forgot one....the most important of all:

5) Live personally responsible lives through good decision-making, common sense, and logic.
It sounds great, but how are you going to enforce it?

Fact is, it's impossible without resorting to rather inhumane tactics that disregard civil rights.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever in your life made a mistake? Did you ever make plans that either went awry or changed completely?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You sick bastard.
It's amazing isn't it?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:53 PM

14,307 posts, read 10,406,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ah, so I leave the forum for a few hours, and it's turned into a bash Hispanics party? Was that your intention, Aero, or did this take on a life of its own?

Again, statistics show the non-Hispanic whites receive the most welfare in this country - at least that's what I saw the last time I researched this topic.
Yes, I would be interested in seeing those so-called facts. For one thing many Hispanics identify as white and another thing non-hispanic whites are the majority in this country so it is all about percentages isn't it? Percentage wise Hispanics receive the most welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies