U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 AM
 
5,901 posts, read 4,882,025 times
Reputation: 4531

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Wow. What you need is some god damn Xanax now, and some help with anger management when you have the free time. You're making mogal's case for her.

Your anecdotal story is just that, anecdotal. Here are some facts on single parent families.

- 75% of children/adolescents in chemical dependency hospitals are from single-parent families.
- More than one half of all youths incarcerated for criminal acts lived in one-parent families when they were children.
- 63% of suicides are individuals from single parent families
- 75% of teenage pregnancies are adolescents from single parent homes

Take it from someone who lives in one of the most welfare and single-mother filled areas in the country. If you really think more single parenthood, more teen pregnancy, and a 40% rate of birth on welfare are anything but horribly destructive to society, you are blind, naive, or just plain old stupid.
I don't necessarily doubt your statistics, but could you please provide a source/link? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2012, 02:44 AM
 
1,570 posts, read 1,567,254 times
Reputation: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Wow. What you need is some god damn Xanax now, and some help with anger management when you have the free time. You're making mogal's case for her.

Your anecdotal story is just that, anecdotal. Here are some facts on single parent families.

- 75% of children/adolescents in chemical dependency hospitals are from single-parent families.
- More than one half of all youths incarcerated for criminal acts lived in one-parent families when they were children.
- 63% of suicides are individuals from single parent families
- 75% of teenage pregnancies are adolescents from single parent homes

Take it from someone who lives in one of the most welfare and single-mother filled areas in the country. If you really think more single parenthood, more teen pregnancy, and a 40% rate of birth on welfare are anything but horribly destructive to society, you are blind, naive, or just plain old stupid.
There's a reason why marriage rates amongst the wealthy and/or educated have stayed high, while the marriage rates amongst the poor have been plummeting... What's the reason? Who knows, although I have heard some hypothesize that welfare is to blame - easier for a single mother to get benefits than a married couple, for example...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 02:54 AM
 
9,897 posts, read 6,073,772 times
Reputation: 2518
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Here are some facts on single parent families.

- 75% of children/adolescents in chemical dependency hospitals are from single-parent families.
- More than one half of all youths incarcerated for criminal acts lived in one-parent families when they were children.
- 63% of suicides are individuals from single parent families
- 75% of teenage pregnancies are adolescents from single parent homes

Take it from someone who lives in one of the most welfare and single-mother filled areas in the country. If you really think more single parenthood, more teen pregnancy, and a 40% rate of birth on welfare are anything but horribly destructive to society, you are blind, naive, or just plain old stupid.
You left out one point - single parent households as in - woman - are the
ones most at "risk". 85 percent of all prisoners are from fatherless homes.
If you are solely raised in a single parent MALE household,
most of the stats you've given don't apply.

Divorce and Fatherhood Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 03:06 AM
 
Location: USA
12,667 posts, read 9,122,678 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
The fact that I'm already paying for it, doesn't mean I have to like it.
Getting kind of tired of this holding my purse strings for ransom.
They are here, therefore it must be paid bull****.

If all these folks want to bring children into the world, without any
means of support
, other than what a government taxation system
can dole out to them, at my expense...

Eventually, it will become unsustainable. I'm a true believer in
self reliance. It made me the libertarian I am today
Dems can keep printing money for welfare, and Repubs can keep
printing money for war. It's truly unfortunate for folks like me, having
to pay for both your **** ups, in more ways than one.
You mean the baby boomers??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 03:26 AM
 
9,897 posts, read 6,073,772 times
Reputation: 2518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You mean the baby boomers??
Baby boomer what Not only have they paid into the Medicare and
Social Security system their whole adult working life, they just barely
started to collect on it. Frankly I don't consider a tax taken for
later pay, an entitlement. No one would have expected anything, if
the government didn't take their money in the first place....

Heard the "Greatest Generation" did very well in governmental retirement
benefits. The "Silent Generation" just kind of slid right in
and they are getting Social Security and Medicare as we speak.
But if they worked past 1965 they certainly contributed.

I'm not talking about either S.S. or Medicare. I'm talking about
folks that have not contributed long term to anything.

Sure, welfare has been around a long time, even before Clinton
reigned it in somewhat. But what is missing now, that was present
when FDR brought it to be, is a:

Dust bowl, a long line for a cup
a soup, and a really, really poor nation.

I do wish, if there are that many poor folks out there in America,
just stop printing the money, and let's see it. Let's then ask
America itself, why is this country touted the richest in the world,
really this poor.....and then fix that.

There really was a time in America, when a hand out really was
meant to be a hand up. Not a lifestyle.

Don't bull**** me that today, it's anywhere close to that.
I'm not buying it, I'm just paying for it

Last edited by pollyrobin; 04-04-2012 at 03:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 AM
 
5,901 posts, read 4,882,025 times
Reputation: 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
That's easy "Medicare for All".

I still don't want to be paying for deadbeat women or men.
Seriously, if you can't afford to support a
child's BASIC needs, without government assistance....
you shouldn't be having any.
With all due respect, I'm a little surprised that you know so little about Medicaid being a spouse to a physician.

I checked the report from the OP and found that it is quite outdated, referencing data from the mid-90's. The updated report is here: http://www.kff.org/womenshealth/upload/8014.pdf . The percentage of all births covered by Medicaid is highlighted on page 12 (note the large area in the south showing the largest percentage).

What is interesting in the update are the Medicaid eligibility guidelines, by state, for prenatal services (pg. 7). The assumption that Medicaid=Deadbeat is simply not representative of all recipients. Based on 2007/2008 data within the report, only a handful of states set an income cutoff at 133% of the FPL ($14856/yr by 2012 data, equiv to $7.14/hr), with the highest cutoffs at 200% FPL ($22340/yr, $10.74/hr) to 300% FPL ($33,510/yr, $16.11/hr).

Struggling, yes, but hardly 'deadbeat'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 04:01 AM
 
9,897 posts, read 6,073,772 times
Reputation: 2518
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
With all due respect, I'm a little surprised that you know so little about Medicaid being a spouse to a physician.

I checked the report from the OP and found that it is quite outdated, referencing data from the mid-90's. The updated report is here: http://www.kff.org/womenshealth/upload/8014.pdf . The percentage of all births covered by Medicaid is highlighted on page 12 (note the large area in the south showing the largest percentage).

What is interesting in the update are the Medicaid eligibility guidelines, by state, for prenatal services (pg. 7). The assumption that Medicaid=Deadbeat is simply not representative of all recipients. Based on 2007/2008 data within the report, only a handful of states set an income cutoff at 133% of the FPL ($14856/yr by 2012 data, equiv to $7.14/hr), with the highest cutoffs at 200% FPL ($22340/yr, $10.74/hr) to 300% FPL ($33,510/yr, $16.11/hr).

Struggling, yes, but hardly 'deadbeat'.
Married to a physician, yes. Accept Medicaid - sorry, no.
Simply doesn't pay barely a carpenter's wage
and I'm talking the humanitarian one....

Serves it's purpose at teaching hospitals and clinics -
not a private practice sort of thing.

When I refer to deadbeat, I mean you pay absolutely nothing towards
your own care. I'm not interested in what one makes in salary for
a living in that regard. What exactly does that person contribute
towards their own care? Hint: Medicaid patients pay nothing.

Last edited by pollyrobin; 04-04-2012 at 04:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 AM
 
3,335 posts, read 2,021,063 times
Reputation: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Married to a physician, yes. Accept Medicaid - sorry, no.
Simply doesn't pay barely a carpenter's wage
and I'm talking the humanitarian one....

Serves it's purpose at teaching hospitals and clinics -
not a private practice sort of thing.

When I refer to deadbeat, I mean you pay absolutely nothing towards
your own care. I'm not interested in what one makes in salary for
a living in that regard. What exactly does that person contribute
towards their own care? Hint: Medicaid patients pay nothing.
Married to a Doctor? hmmm...'head' or body? Never woulda guessed? Oh well, my image is shattered!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 AM
 
10,963 posts, read 7,180,606 times
Reputation: 3111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Aren't you anti-abortion too though?. Which is it????. You have to pick one.
Situational logic is the bedrock of conservatism.

Tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy is "Creating incentives for job creators"

Tax cuts for the poor or middle class is "Class warfare"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 AM
 
4,259 posts, read 2,621,566 times
Reputation: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Situational logic is the bedrock of conservatism.

Tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy is "Creating incentives for job creators"

Tax cuts for the poor or middle class is "Class warfare"

Well what is it when its tax cuts for everyone? Because thats what they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top