U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 05:01 AM

25,520 posts, read 40,557,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Baby boomer what Not only have they paid into the Medicare and
Social Security system their whole adult working life, they just barely
started to collect on it. Frankly I don't consider a tax taken for
later pay, an entitlement. No one would have expected anything, if
the government didn't take their money in the first place....

Heard the "Greatest Generation" did very well in governmental retirement
benefits. The "Silent Generation" just kind of slid right in
and they are getting Social Security and Medicare as we speak.
But if they worked past 1965 they certainly contributed.

I'm not talking about either S.S. or Medicare. I'm talking about
folks that have not contributed long term to anything.

Sure, welfare has been around a long time, even before Clinton
reigned it in somewhat. But what is missing now, that was present
when FDR brought it to be, is a:

Dust bowl, a long line for a cup
a soup, and a really, really poor nation.

I do wish, if there are that many poor folks out there in America,
just stop printing the money, and let's see it. Let's then ask
America itself, why is this country touted the richest in the world,
really this poor.....and then fix that.

There really was a time in America, when a hand out really was
meant to be a hand up. Not a lifestyle.

Don't bull**** me that today, it's anywhere close to that.
I'm not buying it, I'm just paying for it
How do you know where those babies will end up in the future? I meet success stories nearly every day, and those folks will end up giving more than they received for their birth coverage. I agree things are different now, but you're also projecting pessimism which cannot be proven - yet. Hopefully some of these families WILL use it as a "hand up" instead of a "hand out," or at least their children will become productive taxpaying members of society. You don't know they won't, so it's highly cynical of you to speak so absolutely (and angrily) about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 AM

1,277 posts, read 2,643,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Why don't we make it so we pay into it for our own whining then like we do with social security. They do it in Germany, it's your responsibility so you pay into a health care account. Everyone pays, every is covered. Problem solved. We don't cry about paying social security even though 1 out of 100 old people could still work. But we pay in case we can't. What's the difference applying this to health care your whole life? You might not have a baby but if you do their health care is covered. Why not add public college into it like Germany. Then those babies have good health and education. Problem solved. Strong healthy smart country. I don't see the problems?
I'm a U.S. citizen who had ancestors on the Mayflower ships, so don't slam me by thinking I'm a recent immigrant, and I now live in Mexico.

Presidente Calderon is expanding Seguro Popular healthcare to provide healthcare for all residents of Mexico. That medical coverage is open to all foreign residents of Mexico like myself. There are about 1 million foreigners living in Mexico and most are from the U.S.

Mexico has several government sponsored or backed healthcare plans. The U.S. is the largest economy in the world and can't provide Universal Healthcare for its residents but a much poorer country like Mexico can.

It depends on how well a government wants to invest its money. Spend billions later on medical and social services that could have been avoided by spending less earlier on basic healthcare.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:47 AM

1,277 posts, read 2,643,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Wow. What you need is some god damn Xanax now, and some help with anger management when you have the free time. You're making mogal's case for her.

Your anecdotal story is just that, anecdotal. Here are some facts on single parent families.

- 75% of children/adolescents in chemical dependency hospitals are from single-parent families.
- More than one half of all youths incarcerated for criminal acts lived in one-parent families when they were children.
- 63% of suicides are individuals from single parent families
- 75% of teenage pregnancies are adolescents from single parent homes

Take it from someone who lives in one of the most welfare and single-mother filled areas in the country. If you really think more single parenthood, more teen pregnancy, and a 40% rate of birth on welfare are anything but horribly destructive to society, you are blind, naive, or just plain old stupid.
I think the facts prove the U.S. was built on teen pregnancies, kids without fathers and women forced into marriages, marriages that were never performed by a cleric or ever recorded with the government.

The U.S. was built by the poor and deserted or orphaned children, fatherless children (George Washington), and single mothers. The good old days were worse in thousands of ways compared to today.

Family Structure - US Colonial to 1899

Quote:
In a study of records in seventeenth-century Somerset County, more than a third of the immigrant women whose marriages were recorded were pregnant by the time of the ceremony. Such a high rate of bridal pregnancy two to three times that of many contemporary English parishes is testimony to the extend of social disruption. There is little evidence that the community objected to this kind of sexual freedom; no presentments for bridal pregnancy appear in any of the Maryland courts."
Quote:
one out of five Maryland-born brides was pregnant when she married. Lack of parental control was a contributing element. Orphaned girls were apparently particularly vulnerable to premarital conceptions; initial study indicates an even greater frequency of bridal pregnancy among women whose fathers had died during their minority."
Quote:
"During the seventeenth century, the proportion of women who were pregnant at the time of their wedding was below 10 percent. By the middle of the eighteenth century, it had shot up to over 40 percent. Another indicator of a decline in paternal authority was an increase in children's discretion in deciding whom and when to marry. children began to marry earlier than in the seventeenth century, and an increasing number of daughters married out of birth order."

Old 04-04-2012, 06:07 AM

86,105 posts, read 64,665,593 times
You shouldn't be surprised by this number. It falls in line with other government statistics.
And it should scare people..not because that it's medicaid paying for childbirth but that the number of Americans NEEDING medicaid is growing.

As a nation the number of poor that need government assistance is GROWING.
Whether you are Dem or Repub or any party, this trend is not a good trend for our future.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 AM

24,639 posts, read 22,570,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
And all those anchor babies of the 14 millon illegals have while medical insurance for the working class Americans goes through the roof.
Got some stats to support your comment?

Old 04-04-2012, 06:15 AM

86,105 posts, read 64,665,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Got some stats to support your comment?
Well, Texas spends close to $5 billion on education, medical and incarceration per year for illegals. And that is just one state.

Texas, in serious need of immigration reform - Dallas Politics | Examiner.com

Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 AM

9,586 posts, read 9,520,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

3. Yes. Don't have kids until you can afford them. Pretty simple concept.
I'll try this again:

Instead of simply railing against the decisions of people whose life choices you disapprove of, do you have any proposals for how to change their behavior to get them to make what you consider more responsible choices?

Old 04-04-2012, 06:38 AM

9,586 posts, read 9,520,689 times
Quote:
Not having kids that I can't afford! What else?!
It's kind of funny that I have never heard this degree of hatred and contempt from right-wingers directed at people who buy a house and immediately start taking the mortgage interest deduction, or at companies who take tax breaks for job creation.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 AM

18,542 posts, read 20,611,193 times
Quote:
That's precisely the problem. Why AREN'T they doing this? Being a logical, rational decision-maker is the gift we were given as homo sapiens.
Because first and foremost we are animals - and anyone who denies that is just kidding themselves. The VAST majority of people in the world - including on this very board - are "unplanned". If the only people who had babies are those who WANTED to have babies, the human population would be shrinking (as it is in many Eastern European countries).

Ken

Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 AM

23,852 posts, read 17,769,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxaimeexXx View Post
Well excuse the ***** out of us because sometimes ***** happens.
That's the problem. It's more than "sometimes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies