Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
The poorest countries in the world have the highest birthrates.
People will continue to have sex through just about any circumstance.
It is a basic survival drive in all living things.
We can demonize it...blame women, blame poor people, blame lack of religion, yada yada...
or we can do the smart thing and make low cost birth control easily available to EVERYONE.
It IS easily available to everyone!

PS....the United States is not one of the "poorest countries in the world".....so I fail to see the relevance here. Poor people in the US don't have the intellectal capability to not have children they can't afford? Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Exactly right. What you speak of is the Elephant In The Room. Democrats have zero desire to address this issue because they perceive illegal immigrants to be future votes. Does it get any more treasonous?
And exactly why are republicans not now and have not done anything in the past about illegals? Cheap labor = medicaid and anchor babies. But hey, they're not aborted, so pick one.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Except, the same people we want to design this for won't use it.
Some won't...the way some people wont brush their teeth or drive safely.
The best chance we have is to make it as easy as possible to get contraception.
Contrary to stereotypical thinking- MOST poor women and especially poor men do NOT want to have children...unfortunately they also have the hardest time taking the steps to prevent it.

(For example- if their car breaks down a lot- they don't go to the health clinic...if they dont have money for a doctor visit- they will decide they won't have sex- until the heat of the moment when it is too late.)

Just like water- people take the path of least resistance.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
It IS easily available to everyone!

PS....the United States is not one of the "poorest countries in the world".....so I fail to see the relevance here. Poor people in the US don't have the intellectal capability to not have children they can't afford? Why not?
As much as I don't like to admit it- women tend to do what their boyfriends/husbands want them to do. The only cheap/easy contraception is condoms which many men refuse. Birth control is quite expensive if you are on a severely limited income.

PS...my point was that even under EXTREME circumstances people will still have sex. It has nothing to do with intelligence.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Some won't...the way some people wont brush their teeth or drive safely.
The best chance we have is to make it as easy as possible to get contraception.
Contrary to stereotypical thinking- MOST poor women and especially poor men do NOT want to have children...unfortunately they also have the hardest time taking the steps to prevent it.

(For example- if their car breaks down a lot- they don't go to the health clinic...if they dont have money for a doctor visit- they will decide they won't have sex- until the heat of the moment when it is too late.)

Just like water- people take the path of least resistance.
These are valid points. But poverty does not serve to replace common sense. You get pregnant by having sex.....therefore the only logical solution to not having kids is to not have sex without a condom/birth control....or not have sex at all. Can it be expected 100%? Of course not....but the easiest thing in the world to do is NOT get pregnant, so I don't completely buy into the poverty argument.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
if people had to pay out of pocket for midwife--- immigration would slow down and u would stop paying pepe to mow the lawn and put your unemployed son on the job.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I was born under Medicaid. As was my brother, and as was half of my 16 cousins. I'll admit that I have been chronically unemployed for a while (trying to fix that) but for the most part we are all educated and contributing members of society. I grew up in schools where most of the children were born under Medicaid coverage. I don't hear about many of them going to jail these days. Most of them became productive members of society.

I think all children should be born under a tax funded program that covers childbirth. That would be my solution.
Nothing personal....trust me....but I must make sure I understand you correctly.

At least 10 people in your family were born using Medicaid?!?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:46 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Aren't you anti-abortion too though?. Which is it????. You have to pick one.
Why?

The lefies feel that there are two options....kill the baby or force someone else to pay for it?

What about self respect, dignity of self, dignity of life?

What about personal responsibility?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
These are valid points. But poverty does not serve to replace common sense. You get pregnant by having sex.....therefore the only logical solution to not having kids is to not have sex without a condom/birth control....or not have sex at all. Can it be expected 100%? Of course not....but the easiest thing in the world to do is NOT get pregnant, so I don't completely buy into the poverty argument.
I understand where you are coming from...but another big contributor to this problem is the change in insurance coverages.
20 years ago when I had my children standard insurance coverage included childbirth and dr visits through pregnancy. Now it is a separate issue you have to pay extra for. Many people can't afford the insurance.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why?

The lefies feel that there are two options....kill the baby or force someone else to pay for it?

What about self respect, dignity of self, dignity of life?

What about personal responsibility?
Isn't it amazing? This is exactly what he/she is saying! How does one get to be of such shallow thought?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies