Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I'm not sure why you have the idea people trust corporations. Corporations buy elected officials. Yes, they buy democrats and republicans despite the halo each tries to paint on themselves. The trick is to elect representatives who can't be bought or who aren't corporations themselves seeking office to further their own agenda. So far we haven't been terribly successful.
The answer is to remove the power from the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
at least the government is ELECTED by the people and it's main duty is the represent the people (though that doesn't always happen) and their main purpose is to help fix societal problems and help guide society. (and it doesn't always do this) but at least its the SETUP PURPOSE of the govenrment.

corporations answer TO THEMSELVES and the people DO NOT ELECT them and their sole purpose is SIMPLY to make money.. their PURPOSE has NOTHING TO DO with bettering society... sure they create jobs, but that's a BYPRODUCT of the whole making money thing.. it's not their purpose.

also, corporations already practically RUN a good portion of the government (you know that evil thing to be paranoid of)

why are people paranoid of the government but NOT CORPORATIONS?

makes no sense.
Why are people so paranoid of the government but not the corporations?

Because stupid people believe what other Really Stupid People tell them.

If they THOUGHT they'd realize that corporations run the US....they are the enemy of middle class working Americans.
An example would be the Post Office which Republicans in Congress forced to have their pensions funded for the next 75 YEARS. Of course, NO other entity has to do that, NONE.
The Repugs and their corporate buddies want the PO to fail, CUT JOBS and privatize( Make Money For Corporations) it so they can make money off the backs of middle class working AMERICANS who they will force out of work or into lower paying jobs......Third World conditions are what Repugs and corporations want for America.!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So it can dance to the whims of the corporations. People are angels, aren't they? Only discouraged by an evil institution that is the government.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
In America we fear government because we embrace propaganda. We are easily swayed. It's hard to believe propaganda could turn us away from our only means of control but we love a good saying. We fear it because we were easily taught to do so by guess who?
America the manipulated.
We could use our government as it was planned by us to implement our desires for this country but it turns out our desires for this country are to have it ruled by 1% of the money making population.
That's either what we want or we are so un educated we don't fully realize what we could do if we educated ourselves on what government is really for. But either way, it's the same. We let the corps handle it. We trust them because we want to be them. We long for that chance to one day be a millionaire, that is enough to let money control our morals. We are simply put, greedy. We don't want to take the minute chance that we might be cutting our own throats.
The reality is our chances of becoming one of them is slight, like becoming Madonna, so we continually crap on ourselves just in case. It's a sad cycle but one that capitalism propaganda promotes with well paid publicist. One will do just about anything for money. The fear will continue and our government will continue to struggle to juggle what it should be doing with what it's bribed to do.
We have the freedom to screw ourselves and unfortunately that's exactly what we do with that freedom, unlike other free countries. Big business in our home town is a carrot, a rabbit, we chase it like a stupid dog until we drop either from exhaustion or lack of medical care. Dogs are easily replaceable and it's much easier to replace one then worry about them being healthy or trained.
This is my opinion though, obviously I'm not a good dog, more of a cat. I try and vote to change it but cat's are out numbered by dogs in this country by 90%.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And the threat is which ones? They used to work 12 year olds 16 hours a day before those "powers" arrived.

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you have the idea people trust corporations. Corporations buy elected officials. Yes, they buy democrats and republicans despite the halo each tries to paint on themselves. The trick is to elect representatives who can't be bought or who aren't corporations themselves seeking office to further their own agenda. So far we haven't been terribly successful.
I totally agree, both parties are barking.

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So it can dance to the whims of the corporations. People are angels, aren't they? Only discouraged by an evil institution that is the government.
Let them command a toothless lion.

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
A quick finger pointing... as expected. But hey, whatever it takes to deflect. I wasn't aware that the idea presented also treads along party lines.
Nah, I'm just not partisan or dumb enough to believe it doesn't happen all the time and both parties are no different.

I wonder why I made the comment to you though......

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:

Hmm you mean someone like Ron Paul?

Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,946 times
Based on my empirical observations, I'd say low levels of education and intelligence. There has been no studies done that I can find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies