Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Which raises the question as to why the special prosecutor Angela Corey has chosen to not convene a grand jury. I can't imagine for the life of me why a prosecuting attorney would forego the political cover that a grand jury can provide unless the case was moving forward. Now she asks people not to read anything into her decision but I can't help but believe that is just good media spin because their is a great deal to read into such a decision.
The HuffPo article, I believe, stated that Corey has a history of not using
grand juries unless it's a capital murder case. Considering the number of investigations, no doubt there's some fancy footwork in Florida to keep from stepping on one another's toes. It's possible that Ms. Corey has decided that the original charge wanted by the Sanford LEO is a case that can be made and tried successfully. That's my hope, as Zimmerman did make several crucial mistakes the night of the killing. Manslaughter seems too lenient, but it's a better ending than would have been seen had the national spotlight never been focused on the case.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:10 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
The police dept should be involved in a civil suit for at least gross misconduct or (reaching) obstruction of justice. there is no way in hell that people are going to let this completely die down because some over zealous slob killed an unarmed teen that stood his ground and fought back a stalker with a gun
I thought about this as well, and I'm not attorney, but this seems to be their best shot. But the problem is that they would have to prove that the SPD is negligent in conduct.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:13 PM

381 posts, read 506,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Did the family of the white teen ask for his help? Did the family of the tourist ask for help? In any of these cases did the police try to cover up any of the facts? Were arrrest made? Was justice served? While you are looking for excuses........I will be patiently waiting for an answer

Apparently as a nonperson of color you don't realize that we have been held in custody just for being "suspect" in a alledged crime. I guess you can't recall how many blackmen have been held by the police because some nearsighted old white woman said that we did something and was wrong.
we are talking about sharpton's justice and not about police cover ups. a man of justice doesn't wait to be called upon. a man of justice would follow a suspicious person during a rainy night while talking to 911.

btw, i recently went to a movie with my family and watched an elderly white couple move a few rows down when we sat about 5 empty seats away from them. it didn't bother me or cause me to beat on them because of racial profiling.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I sure hope the race baiters are happy:
What am I suppose to be happy about, the beating or the fact that police are investigating?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
we have free will in america (at least so far) and the only people responsible are the people who commit the crime.

no passing the buck to anyone or anything else.

some people just gotta hate.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:15 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Most kids have some bit of jewelry and lots of them get an occasional suspension, but that doesn't excuse Zimmerman from murdering him. At any rate, Zimmerman has a record of past violent actions against a cop and probably threats of violence to a former girlfriend, who took out a restraining order against him.

I don't care myself for the lopsided reporting of black vs white crime reporting (white crime is usually given more prominence while black crime is poorly reported) but in this case it's hard to escape it. In my opinion, had the situation been reversed and Zimmerman ended up dead, there's not the slightest question in my mind that Martin would have been arrested, and not simply believed about it being self-defense. And yes, that would have been from racial differences.
I agree fully. There is no excuse for murdering him at all, and I was not aware of Zimmerman's past record of violence.

If Trayvon was minding his own business, and it sounds like he was, then Zimmerman should be in jail. School suspensions are a very trivial thing to bring up to justify Zimmerman's actions.

I only asked these questions because I don't cover this story that much. I work full time, have a side career and hobbies as well. My time isn't spent watching television.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
You had a quote from simetime that you referenced, not your post, so that is the one I responded to. As far as that comment, it was not a direct comment towards you, it was a comment that I think that anyone who believes Zimmerman came around the corner with his gun drawn ready to shoot is a moron. I stand by that belief.
Then you obviously must feel he didn't think of Martin as a threat, right? This contradicts his 911 call in which he kept calling him suspicious and up to no good. He even said he was carrying something in his waistband. Although I never even implied for a minute that Zimmerman was chasing him with his gun out, I am certain that anyone who has a legal gun permit and received proper instructions, knows that you don't go after someone you feel might be a criminal. It's part of every training, including Neighborhood Watch groups.

To use a link posted by Magnolia Bloom earlier, from a group whose goal is "Advancing the art of combat shooting and self-defense"

[url=http://www.warriortalknews.com/]WARRIOR TALK NEWS[/url]

"I teach my students that they should seek “distance from disorder” in their lives, and unless something shocks the consciousness of humanity, to mind their own business. Now I will also tell you that there is a vast gulf of difference between a suspicious black kid walking around the neighborhood, and an active shooter killing people in a restaurant. One is none of your personal business and more of a job for the police, the other…if you happen to be there, is in fact your business and your action can save many lives."

[URL="http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-03-28/news/os-trayvon-martin-gun-owners-forum-20120328_1_shooting-death-gun-owners-gated-community"]From the Orlando Sentinel:[/URL]

The 230-plus responses, which overwhelmingly criticized Zimmerman, came from shooting instructors, members of the NRA and others with online nicknames including CapGun, Deer Hunter and Old Grunt.

"Self-defense claims are pretty weak when you purposely put yourself into harm's way," wrote Purple, who identified himself as an NRA Life Member from Washington state. "In this case not only did he do that, but having fear of someone's potential is not justification for pulling a gun and then the trigger."

and

"I'm a Florida deputy in a neighboring county. Zimmerman is guilty of 1st-degree manslaughter at a minimum. I personally feel like this was an outright homicide!" wrote vkent718. "I feel for Trayvon's family."

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
One of the problems now will be anytime finds something offensive they want criminal charges broght for being offended.

Quote:
"Whoever it is needs to be found. They changed the message, now find the messenger,"the Rev. Wendell Anthony, Detroit NAACP president, told WDIV-TV.
Yes, it's stupid and a prank but to prosecute ?

There was a Swastika painted on a street here this weekend and the news played it up big as a major news story. More than likely it was a stupid kid thing and not that newsworthy.

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
a man of justice would follow a suspicious person during a rainy night while talking to 911.
A man of justice would not race to characterize some unknown to you as being on drugs, or just simply suspicious for walking down a sidewalk. Even the fracking police need more probable cause than Zimmerman had for even a Terry Stop.

Terry stop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies