Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Whether he used a racial slur matters to some people, who use the alleged slur as evidence that gz racially profiled or set out to murder a black youth or had malice in his mind, etc. It's at least as important as hoodies, skittles, and iced tea.
Here's another example where you answer as if I am supporting Zimmerman and how he handled himself that evening. I am not. I am only saying that there is too much uncertainty, we have numerous experts who cannot agree, and it is detracting from the investigation and increasing racial tensions.

Just a note: keep in mind that he knew everything he said was being recorded.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
But he's not a cop! I don't get this type of reasoning at all. It wasn't his job to confront people. I guess I need to post the Neighborhood Watch rules again. Even a coordinator from the Sanford Police went to the community to do a presentation. It's been in several FL newspapers, but here, this is what I found just now using Google.
Here, maybe this will help you understand it. It is the same mentality that drives some people to become a police officer or join the military, or that drove George Zimmerman to seek a degree in criminal justice and join the neighborhood watch program. It is the same instinct that lead George Zimmerman to take actions in the past that resulted in arrests of burglars, caught in the act.

"The Sheepdog Concept" by Nutnfancy - YouTube

Quote:
Your actions could save lives. At the heart of what I have referred to as The Sheepdog is a selflessness that looks outwardly to the needs of others. They cannot abide watching their fellow humans beings suffer and die while they do nothing. They are compelled into action even when those actions could lead to their own deaths or injury. The Sheepdog comes from every walk of life, every race, and can be male or female; it is impossible to identify them from appearance alone. It is their actions in the face of horrific situations that reveals the Sheepdog as they step forward when no one else will. Lenny Skutnik, in the face of the tragic Air Florida crash in 1982 into the icy Potomac River, was just such an unassuming Sheepdog. He jumped into the aviation fuel soaked and frigid waters to save passenger Priscilla Tirado just before she slipped beneath the water to her death. Hundreds had been watching Priscilla flounder and would have watch her die without doing anything. These are sheep that are frozen into inaction by their lives of denial and lack of mental and material preparation. They are not bad people but nore are they heroic; they're just there. Leeny's Sheepdog heart was revealed that day. They are others like him in civilian, law enforcement, fire fighting, and military ranks. But they are relatively few indeed and they are special. Few have what I feel possess the other key qualities of the Sheepdog (discussed in the video): a strong value system, unassuming manner, bravery, judgment and maturity, preparation, practiced skill sets, and a strong sense of duty in the face of often scary circumstances. The Sheepdog Concept is foundational to my gear reviews here: an attempt to give quality information to help equip you good people for your "day." Both mental and material prepartation can expand your capabilities in this important calling. Good Sheepdogs span the ranks and include responsible and caring civilians, law enforcement officials, firefighters, paramedics, PJs, EMTs, pilots, and soldiers. Many of these come to TNP to get this info as they equip and prepare. I try hard not to let them down. I salute them all and I myself try to aspire to their level.
Sanford Florida is a horribly crime ridden community, it does not surprise me at all that some responsible citizens feel and obligation to try and do something about that.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-06-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-06-2012, 02:28 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
So he broke the rules of the HOA, what does have to do with the legal case or him not getting arrested for using lethal force to defend himself?

He was never advised not to pursue anyone, the 911 operator told him "we don't need you to do that". There was clearly enough time between the cell phone call and the gun going off for a confrontation to take place, otherwise we wouldn't be talking about a dead 17 year old attacker who messed with the wrong guy.
And according to Zimmerman's attorneys and as well as the 911 tape, in respose to "we don't need you to do that", George said "Okay" and turned around to go back to his car. It was while going back to his car that Martin came up behind him and attacked him.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:29 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Here, maybe this will help you understand it. It is the same mentality that drives some people to become a police officer or join the military, or that drove George Zimmerman to seek a degree in criminal justice and join the neighborhood watch program. It is the same instinct that lead George Zimmerman to take actions in the past that resulted in arrests of burglars, caught in the act.
You know what drives Zimmerman and wait this long to tell us? How long have you been his therapist?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Enough of this nonsense. If the authors of a law tell you that the law they wrote does not apply...believe them.

Your premises as to how Zimmerman came away from the crime scene with he boo boos he did is speculation...nothing more. Zimmerman's head is made of Kryptonite. Go bang your head against a brick wall with the force that Zimmerman described a few times and come back and tell us that your wounds match Zimmerman's. What a crock!
I am not making this up. A couple days ago I left a bag of groceries in my car, reached inside and banged my head as I was backing out. I was so dizzy that I had to sit down. I'm sure this happens to everyone (doesn't it?

Now, I admit I'm 30 years older than Zimmerman and not a big woman, but I can't imagine being on your back, ready to pass out (his brother said George was losing consciousness) and shooting someone in the chest, killing him with the first bullet. OTOH, I know little about guns, but he said it was dark and rainy, his vision was blurred..but he had perfect aim?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What backs that up is that Zimmerman wouldn't give the police his location. He said they should call him when they arrived. Evidently, he had no plans to stay in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
That's not evidence, that's speculation. There's a big difference.
Well, did the altercation take place near Zimmerman's truck?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, did the altercation take place near Zimmerman's truck?
No. If you look at a map of the complex, Trayvon Martin was shot heading toward the townhouse where he was staying. In fact, George Zimmerman even says in the 911 tape "the back entrance" when he said "he's running" and asked in which direction. Since that's where he was found (on his way toward the back entrance) I don't understand why people are claiming Trayvon followed him back to his truck and jumped him.

[URL="http://bcclist.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-path.jpg"]MAP[/URL]

see if the above link works

Old 04-06-2012, 02:33 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
OTOH, I know little about guns, but he said it was dark and rainy, his vision was blurred..but he had perfect aim?
If you shoot someone who is on top of you,
you don't really have to "aim."

Old 04-06-2012, 02:40 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
If Zimmerman actually felt his life were threatened by the attack, then yes, he would be innocent and Martin would be the guilty party.

However, from the 911 tapes I have heard, the boy was yelling for help, which is generally not a threatening position. This was seconds before he was shot. If Zimmerman could have gotten away, which it appears that was the case, then no, it wouldn't matter who started the fight.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
If you shoot someone who is on top of you,
you don't really have to "aim."
Forget aim...I'm still trying to visualize fending someone off as your head is being bashed repeatedly against concrete, while your nose is being pummeled and still having the wherewithal and physical contortions to get to your gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies