Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Welcome to the TEA Party!
The problem with the Tea Party is many of the people are not very smart as seen by the likes of Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann. They are also owned by the corporate whores The Koch Brothers. I hate that they preach small government and then turn around and make abortion laws. People like Bachmann and Palin would have no problem turning the country into a Christian Theocracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,116,747 times
It's funny mlassoff, after reading what you and others have wrote it further prooves my opinion that we conservatives and you liberals are actually quite similiar in that we want the same things.

How to obtain those things, however, is another story.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:10 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is the basis for nearly every difference between liberals and conservatives. It's not the "what", it's the "how".
Technically true on most issues. Take energy prices for example, and feel free to add to the conservative argument below:
Progressive…
-Lower consumption
-Responsible drilling (Environmental/sustainability considerations)
-Tab on oil speculation
-Promote alternate source, preferably renewable with minimal environmental impact

Conservative…
-Drill baby drill

On some other issues, it isn't usually a matter of "how". These are, typically, social issues such as gay marriage and abortion. The conservative mantra today is to oppose it. I say today, because a conservative like Barry Goldwater would be deemed a progressive for his support of ideas that progressives hold today. In fact, he was subjected to it. Clearly, the idea of conservative "values" has shifted to satisfy the appetite of religious fundamentalism over individualism, something Goldwater had warned against.

"If they succeed in establishing religion as a basic Republican Party tenet, they could do us in."
- Barry Goldwater, Interview to US News & World Report (1994)

He also pointed at another key issue that plagues this nation today that compromise is not a bad word.

"Well, I've spent quite a number of years carrying the flag of the Old Conservatism. And I can say with conviction that the religious issues of these groups have little or nothing to do with conservative or liberal politics. The uncompromising position of these groups is a divisive element that could tear apart the very spirit of our representative system, if they gain sufficient strength."
- Barry Goldwater, 1981

Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,758,479 times
I consider myself conservative but don't let my religion dictate how I feel about politics. I don't vote based on religion. I don't have any conservative friends that do either.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I consider myself conservative but don't let my religion dictate how I feel about politics. I don't vote based on religion. I don't have any conservative friends that do either.
But, what is a conservative?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,928,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Welcome to the TEA Party!
Thanks but No Thanks.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
These don't sound like liberal ideas. I agree with everything you wrote and I'm a conservative.
Cutting the military needs to wait for a bit as there are no jobs for the soldiers to come home to. IMO.
I am Conservative on some issues and Liberal on others, an moderate stuck in the middle like so many other Americans, it is why I do not belong to either Party. Unfortunately we are often stuck defending one side or the other because of the blatant falsehoods posted so often by the Party hacks.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
As a liberal, I whole-heartedly agree that we must attack the deficit and limit spending. This is not just a good financial idea-- This is a matter of national security.

Where I diverge is how we do that-- my plan would be to end the wars immediately, cut the military by a third and bring tax rates to where they were before the Bush-era tax cuts. Analysts have said that this alone will take care of the deficit. I do not favor cutting programs that actually benefit human citizens.

What conservative idea do you agree with?
I agree completely with attacking deficit spending as well as cutting military. I would want to dramatically cut all social welfare programs too, however. I do not feel that the majority of social programs actually help people more than a private counterpart would.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
But, what is a conservative?
Excellent question, I would love to hear the definition, they can also define libeal while they are at it.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I agree completely with attacking deficit spending as well as cutting military. I would want to dramatically cut all social welfare programs too, however. I do not feel that the majority of social programs actually help people more than a private counterpart would.
Would Medicare and Medicaid be good examples? I hope your point has more substance than just a feeling out of your guts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies