U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 PM

50,017 posts, read 26,510,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Evidently some black people were upset in fact quite a few or the ad would have stayed on.

BTW is it really fried chicken? Looks like a crispy chicken sandwich.
Burger King apologizes to Mary J. Blige for chicken ad - Celebrity Circuit - CBS News
Evidently? Who were these black people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
to the underlined. I didn't read the whole thread before responding but it doesn't surprise me one bit that the usual suspects are using this non-issue to paint yet another unflattering picture of all blacks. These people are desperate for attention, as evidenced by how much time they spend on the P&OC forum doing this.

And just who the bleep is part of "the African American community"? Am I even a member? I don't recall actively joining this community. Was I conscripted into it just b/c I'm black and I now have this vocal minority and fools like Sharpton speaking for me? I'm black, but it seems like I disagree w/ the "African American community" whenever minor quibbles like this hits the surface.

There are enough real issues regarding racism facing us today (e.g., the Hunger Games/twitter outrage, the recent awkwardblackgirl/twitter fiasco, the ongoing Trayvon Martin saga) w/o adding on idiot claims like this.
I understand.

But again, this is a made up controversy started by someone who desperately wanted to make an anti-black thread. Sharpton didn't say anything about this, neither did anyone else that i know of. The article used by the OP didn't mention any names. And for good reason.

There are none.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:44 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,647,782 times
I wouldn't be surprised if BK did this intentionally in order to get publicity. Funny enough I was just doing some research about their current ad strategy for my marketing class the other day and now a few days later they're already getting heat over stuff.

Don't forget Coq Roq.

Coq Roq - Bob Your Head - YouTube

Old 04-05-2012, 06:47 PM

9,857 posts, read 7,007,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It seems blacks are always upset about stereotyping them of what they like to eat. I find is somewhat puzzling.. If blacks are upset about liking fried chicken so what. Doesn't most people like fried chicken?
There is usually at least SOME truth to the stereotyping and I remember going to Inglewood California and seeing tons more fried chicken places than other spots I was at and that was a mostly black area. SO WHAT, they are allowed to like fried chicken.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if BK did this intentionally in order to get publicity. Funny enough I was just doing some research about their current ad strategy for my marketing class the other day and now a few days later they're already getting heat over stuff.

Don't forget Coq Roq.

Coq Roq - Bob Your Head - YouTube
I already pointed out in another post that blacks are all over chicken commercials in the U.S....and we're not talking about BK, but actual stereotypical chicken joints like Popeyes, KFC, and Churches. Ever heard a complaint? I sure as hell haven't.

So why would blacks all of a sudden say something about a chicken wrap from BK?

Like is said, the OP was desperate to make a thread. That's ok, i just wanted him to know how transparent it is.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
There is usually at least SOME truth to the stereotyping and I remember going to Inglewood California and seeing tons more fried chicken places than other spots I was at and that was a mostly black area. SO WHAT, they are allowed to like fried chicken.
We know we're allowed to like Fried Chicken.

Who's complaining?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,545,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Evidently some black people were upset in fact quite a few or the ad would have stayed on.

BTW is it really fried chicken? Looks like a crispy chicken sandwich.
Burger King apologizes to Mary J. Blige for chicken ad - Celebrity Circuit - CBS News

Yep...some black people are upset, that doesn't mean "the blacks" are or that there is some massive movement over a chicken commercial. I am pretty sure most black people don't care, yet the OP insinuates that all blacks are always getting upset over being stereotyped and doesn't understand the irony in his/her statement.

From your link:

Quote:
Monday, and some in the black community said it was stereotypical. Burger King pulled the ad Tuesday over what the company said was a music-licensing issue. The company explained Wednesday the spot was unfinished.
Burger King did not pull the ad because "some blacks" said it was stereotypical and so far, I don't know one black person who is outraged over this commercial. I've seen some very stereotypical commercials and not a peep from the black community. Even some of the radio commercials on black radio stations are stereotypical. If there were so many blacks upset over this, there wouldn't be too many commercials with black people on them at all.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I already pointed out in another post that blacks are all over chicken commercials in the U.S....and we're not talking about BK, but actual stereotypical chicken joints like Popeyes, KFC, and Churches. Ever heard a complaint? I sure as hell haven't.

So why would blacks all of a sudden say something about a chicken wrap from BK?

Like is said, the OP was desperate to make a thread. That's ok, i just wanted him to know how transparent it is.
Yeah, I agree. When I first read OP's link I thought it was a bunch of fake outrage because BK themselves said it was due to licensing issues. But then someone posted a link from CBS that said BK actually apologized (to who? I'm not sure) for it.

But you're right I'm not sure why there'd suddenly be outrage over the commercials (which aren't meant to say "OH BLACK FOLKS YOU SHOULD EAT THIS ****!" but rather "HEY LOOK AT THESE FAMOUS PEOPLE EATING OUR FOOD" (they've got David Beckham, Jay Leno, and Sofia Vergara on for ads as well)). Like you said, the Popeye's commercials have had the fast-talking black lady in them for a long time now.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 PM

9,857 posts, read 7,007,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We know we're allowed to like Fried Chicken.

Who's complaining?
I like KFC, but it is so bad for you I only occasionally have it as a treat. I eat a LOT of baked chicken.

For some reasons various cultures go for certain foods and so forth. What ever floats people's boats IMO.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:55 PM

Hmm this article from Forbes said it was due to "controversy" but again, it sounds like it was one woman on one blog (that is allegedly "influential" but I've never heard of it) complaining.

BK should have played it safe and had her promote burgers or something. There was no outrage when Darius Rucker was promoting burgers!

Tender Crisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies