Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 03:57 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times

Advertisements

Again...a misconception. Are you saying that thin people never overeat ? No WAY should employers have the right to discriminate against the overweight. The laws need to be revised to say that employers canNOT discriminate against something just because they happen to not like it. The ONLY thing they should be allowed to discriminate against is ability and productivity. Thats it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
What you forgot to mention is that maybe your skinny coworker eating a burrito and chips for lunch goes to the gym everyday for 2 hours while you go home, eat a pizza and watch TV?
Or maybe the skinny co-worker has anorexia or bulimia.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:05 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
While I agree that health care officials SHOULD be an example of good health, I don't believe that the best knowledge always comes from skinny people.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:49 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
The hidden discrimination you can't prove. Be thin, be a non smoker but be over 50 years old- no job for you!
And don't forget that you have to have a stellar credit record and an unsullied background check. What's next? No parking tickets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Let me guess....you're fat?
No, but thanks for playing. Let me guess ... You jump to conclusions without evidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This is not a, "fat bashing" thread.
Could have fooled me.

Quote:
Do employers have the right to discriminate against people who are fat? I say, yes they do. There is no current law, obesity is not a protected "class".
Discrimination based on any trait or feature that does not affect job performance may not be illegal (yet), but it sure ain't right. I want to see any hospital prove that a lab tech, nurse or x-ray tech can't do his or her job because she or he is packing on some extra pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Oh, but the co-worker is skinny! S/he must be healthy!

Old 04-07-2012, 06:28 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And don't forget that you have to have a stellar credit record and an unsullied background check. What's next? No parking tickets?

No, but thanks for playing. Let me guess ... You jump to conclusions without evidence?

Could have fooled me.

Discrimination based on any trait or feature that does not affect job performance may not be illegal (yet), but it sure ain't right. I want to see any hospital prove that a lab tech, nurse or x-ray tech can't do his or her job because she or he is packing on some extra pounds.

In this particular case I believe it's equal to, oh for example a business establishment that sells makeup to have a policy that gals that don't wear makeup will not be hired.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:36 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Or maybe the skinny coworker is naturally thin? Are you all so jealous and hateful that you need to accuse thin people of having some kind of disorder?

Curious...for those saying "overweight should not be discriminated!", how did you feel about the hospitals (can't remember which specific ones) refusing to hire smokers? Were you the ones saying "a private business can do whatever it wants and hire or refuse whoever they want"?

Old 04-07-2012, 06:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It began with smokers and everyone seemed to think that was just dandy. Now, it's "fat" people.

Where does it end? When is enough..enough?

Life Inc. - Texas hospital says fat people need not apply

I predict that 'lack of exercise' could be eventually added to the list along with smoking and obesity. I once read that lack of exercise could take off about the same number of years from life expectancy as smoking. I've known people who were slim and trim yet wound up with heart disease because they had desk jobs, never worked out, and got everywhere they had to go by car, bus, plane, elevator, etc.

This is the direction in which we're inexorably headed. If libs want it, they will get it, as Mencken said, "good and hard."

Old 04-07-2012, 07:25 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
In this particular case I believe it's equal to, oh for example a business establishment that sells makeup to have a policy that gals that don't wear makeup will not be hired.
How is that even logical? *SMH* ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Curious...for those saying "overweight should not be discriminated!", how did you feel about the hospitals (can't remember which specific ones) refusing to hire smokers? Were you the ones saying "a private business can do whatever it wants and hire or refuse whoever they want"?
Nope. Sorry to burst your generalization bubble. What people do on their own time is not their employers' business.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Again...a misconception. Are you saying that thin people never overeat ? No WAY should employers have the right to discriminate against the overweight. The laws need to be revised to say that employers canNOT discriminate against something just because they happen to not like it. The ONLY thing they should be allowed to discriminate against is ability and productivity. Thats it.
The ability of a fat person to attract business at a health-oriented company is lower than his or her fit counterpart.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:35 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Could have fooled me.

I really don't think the Hospital would have a hard time proving it. All they would have to do is look in PACS or RIS and see how many cases chubbsy did versus how many cases the normal techs did. I will bet the skinnys did more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies