U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,531,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Or maybe the skinny coworker is naturally thin? Are you all so jealous and hateful that you need to accuse thin people of having some kind of disorder?
Overreact much? The poster that I was responding to made the faulty assumption that because someone is thin, that person is likely to be working out 2 hours a day and that's what allows that person to eat a ton of crap.

While that it is possible, it is also possible that a person could have an eating disorder. Up to 24 million people do in this country.
Eating Disorders Statistics « « National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Curious...for those saying "overweight should not be discriminated!", how did you feel about the hospitals (can't remember which specific ones) refusing to hire smokers? Were you the ones saying "a private business can do whatever it wants and hire or refuse whoever they want"?
Frankly I don't think an employer should have the right to discriminate based on the effects of behaviors that are legal and do not affect job performance.

Most of those defending this hospital are offering excuses related to job performance, which is clearly not the reason that the hospital chief made this policy. He did it based on appearance by his own admission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:35 PM

1,701 posts, read 3,037,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Overreact much? The poster that I was responding to made the faulty assumption that because someone is thin, that person is likely to be working out 2 hours a day and that's what allows that person to eat a ton of crap.

While that it is possible, it is also possible that a person could have an eating disorder. Up to 24 million people do in this country.
Eating Disorders Statistics « « National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders

Frankly I don't think an employer should have the right to discriminate based on the effects of behaviors that are legal and do not affect job performance.

Most of those defending this hospital are offering excuses related to job performance, which is clearly not the reason that the hospital chief made this policy. He did it based on appearance by his own admission.
Chances are he made that decision based on past experience. Like most peoples experience with the overweight I've never been knocked out of the way by an obese person rushing to do their job, unless that job was pounding QP's.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:43 PM

8,224 posts, read 10,797,908 times
I see comparisons are made between the obese and smokers,but there is a difference.
Second hand smoke can cause cancer, and the smell lingers in clothes and hair.

I've never heard of second hand obesity,and no smell lingers in the hair and clothes.
Obesity only could potentially kill the obese person,not others around them.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,531,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Chances are he made that decision based on past experience. Like most peoples experience with the overweight I've never been knocked out of the way by an obese person rushing to do their job, unless that job was pounding QP's.
Regardless of the fact that your comment is moronic, how do you excuse away the same hospital chief's racism? Or do you support that too?

"It's not the first time the Citizen Medical Center has been caught up in allegations of discrimination. In 2007, a memo Brown sent expressing a 'sense of disgust' he felt that more 'Middle-Eastern-born' physicians were demanding leadership roles at the institution."
Read more: Citizens Medical Center: Texas hospital in weight row after BANNING obese job applicants | Mail Online

Old 04-07-2012, 08:50 PM

1,701 posts, read 3,037,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I see comparisons are made between the obese and smokers,but there is a difference.
Second hand smoke can cause cancer, and the smell lingers in clothes and hair.

I've never heard of second hand obesity,and no smell lingers in the hair and clothes.
Obesity only could potentially kill the obese person,not others around them.
Incorrect. Ever sit next to an obese person on the subway in the summertime? Know that mildew/fungal smell? It stays with you all day.

Hot thighs oozing over onto your seat. Sweaty adipose tissue up against your leg.

Wheezing as they try to walk up the stairs. What if there were a fire? They'd be an obstrustion to escape and potentially harm others.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:09 PM

8,224 posts, read 10,797,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Incorrect. Ever sit next to an obese person on the subway in the summertime? Know that mildew/fungal smell? It stays with you all day.

Hot thighs oozing over onto your seat. Sweaty adipose tissue up against your leg.

Wheezing as they try to walk up the stairs. What if there were a fire? They'd be an obstrustion to escape and potentially harm others.
I have,on the 2 and 4 trains.
I didn't smell anything. But,I did have an obese guys stomach on my back when the train was crowded.

How would the employers check Bmi anyway?
When you apply for the job,would you have to step on a scale?

Looks can be deceiving. I personally can't tell the difference between a Bmi of 35 and a bmi of 28,not visually anyway.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,279,232 times
in texas? won't hire fat people?? goodluck finding applicants...

Old 04-08-2012, 01:39 AM

24,001 posts, read 32,852,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
WRONG. I walk two miles a day as well as eating mostly fresh food & veg..Mostly prepared from scratch..as most culinary grads do.

I generally refuse to communicate with the brainwashed, but there are just so darn many of them. Yourself included. You've clearly revealed that you buy into the misconceptions about both the thin AND the overweight.

Start thinking for yourself. Goodbye.
Walking is pretty crappy exercise, and most people don't walk nearly as fast as they think they do, and 2 miles isn't usually good enough for most people to get a decent calorie burn. Run those 2 miles instead of walking them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
While I agree that health care officials SHOULD be an example of good health, I don't believe that the best knowledge always comes from skinny people.
We're cheaper to insure. That's why they're doing this, no matter what they say.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:42 AM

2,548 posts, read 1,862,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
in texas? won't hire fat people?? goodluck finding applicants...
http://funmeme.com/image.axd?picture...ris-France.jpg

Old 04-08-2012, 02:00 AM

7,022 posts, read 5,998,613 times
Doesn't Texas have one of the highest obesity rates in the country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I rather sympathize with the hospital.

After 20+ years of reviewing disability filings, I can say with some certainty that the Number One Occupation for filing disability claims are those in the health care industry: CNA, RN and (especially) home health care workers.

Of those filing, probably 90 percent are obese with a BMI of over 35 percent. Indeed, it is a rare case when a home health care worker (filing for disability) is not obese.
Scary but true: obesity will bankrupt this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies