U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,671,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Wow there are some really remarkable remarks in this thread.

Interesting topic and makes you wonder how you can even answer this question?

Seems as if no one should be discriminated against for any reason.

I remember reading in the past some employers are rewarding those
who remain smoke free and those who are not over weight.

Those who are obese would pay a higher premium for insurance.

Now in this case is the bad guy truely the employer for not wanting to pay excessive insurance costs and or expenses due to someone being over weight.

Guess I ultimatley would need to side with the employer as most fat people choose to over eat and lead a unhealthy life style

How is the disability healthwise different than that of an alcoholic or drug user

In MOST cases its a lifestyle that the over weight person chooses.
He or she could choose not to over eat and get on the sidewalk and walk.

Have to side with the employer..
Sad but true this topic is even brought up as we are all good inside.

The question you should ask before siding with the employer is where does it stop? How far are you willing to go in this push to require, or even demand, a healthy life-style before you can get or keep a job? How "healthy" is healthy enough?

If smokers can be denied employment because they smoke, and now fat people because they won't or can't get their bodies in line with the popular image of "healthy," what's the next criteria to meet? Once that door is opened, there's no limit. Whatever anybody deems to be "unhealthy" can be a bar to employment. At some point, that may very well affect you or your children too. Will you still support it when your daughter is fired or denied employment because an employer thinks her cholesterol level is too high or she's too thin or she doesn't exercise enough to suit them or she engages in what someone thinks is a "dangerous" activity?

And, at what point do we shift from requiring "healthy" living to COMPELLING healthy living? Given that things like this tend to expand incrementally, it's coming and we all know it. Soon, as in Japan, employers will force their employees to exercise and eat right as a condition for keeping their jobs, even away from work. That's already started with many employers in regards to smoking. It will soon follow with any other behavior they can dream up if the idea is accepted as natural in the first place.

Taking the long view, this whole "healthy living" campaign can't help but end up in the loss of some very important freedoms. Let's not be like the parboiled frog and sit calmly as the heat is applied one degree at a time. If we do, we'll soon find our goose is cooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 05:37 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,165,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sorry, but I'm not buying the old insurance argument - as even when I was fat, I never had any chronic health problems. And I can't be the only person who could say that! I've actually noticed the frailer of my co-workers take the most sick leave, maybe because they aren't getting enough nutrition? That sounds like a pretty unfair generalization, but it's no better than assuming fat people will be using more insurance. Let the workers show you they can perform the job first, and then act later (fire them) if their "unhealthy lifestyle" becomes an issue. How on earth is it fair to project assumed issues on anyone??

Btw, when I filled out the insurance application for my current job, nobody asked about my weight - it was only asked it I had any dependents, and if I was a current tobacco user (in which case the employee would have to pay a little extra). So I'm not sure how it works everywhere, but it doesn't seem my employers would pay extra for an obese person. Isn't that kind of the point of employer-based medical insurance? Everyone can be insured without the penalties you'd face on a private plan, right? I could be wrong, but just can't EVER recall having to disclose my weight or pre-existing conditions for an employee plan.

Yes and we all have heard of smokers who lived to be over 100.

Being over weight causes many health complications.
Heart, circulation, diabetes the list can go on and on.

I believe under current law an employer cant ask about your weight and participate in a group insurance plan.

I agree with you on the scenario of where does it end...
But I can also see the consequences of being over weight.
and the potential problems and risks.

Seriouslly is it an employers responsibility to take care of an over weight persons health choices..

I simply just do not agree.
Why should the employer be on the hook for bad health choices...

Old 04-08-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Why should the employer be on the hook for bad health choices...
Why should an employee be forced to surrender their life-style choices in exchange for a job or insurance? What else may you be forced to surrender in the future?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:18 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,165,810 times
Well I am no fan of big business for that matter , but I do not see why an employer should be the den mother for unhealthy life choices.

I get your point on "where does it end"

For that matter I am in full favor of living our lives the way we wish to live
whether that is eating out at mcdonalds or BK or going to the local gin mill and having a drink or smoking pot or cigarettes its a free country.

Seems to me the balance would be in the cost of insurance , not even sure if its possible under current scenarios to even charge more for an obese person.
Althought if they charge more for a smoker than why not somene who is over or even under weight..
Then we can sit here and tear apart that scenario to.

As long as employers are the sole party covering health plans we all will be dealing with these issues..

That whole scenaro is a bunch of what ifs and not fairs. I get it.

\

Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 AM

21,547 posts, read 11,619,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
From what I've seen of 2/3 of nurses they're going to be very under-staffed.
I was thinking the same thing. Seems you don't see a lot of "fit" nurses for whatever reason. Probably stress and shiftwork causing bad eating habits.

Well, I guess there will be a lot of people going on diets and working out of they want to be health care workers. Not such a bad thing.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:26 AM

21,547 posts, read 11,619,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
If the person eats too much, they are making poor health choices.

If the person has a medical issue that causes the weight, then they are in poor health.
No doubt! To say that severe obesity is not a major health concern is just crazy.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:56 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,746,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Let's not be like the parboiled frog and sit calmly as the heat is applied one degree at a time. If we do, we'll soon find our goose is cooked.
Too late, we are already sitting at (and have been for a while) around 185 degrees, and it's only getting warmer by the day.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 PM

1,701 posts, read 3,036,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Regardless of the fact that your comment is moronic, how do you excuse away the same hospital chief's racism? Or do you support that too?

"It's not the first time the Citizen Medical Center has been caught up in allegations of discrimination. In 2007, a memo Brown sent expressing a 'sense of disgust' he felt that more 'Middle-Eastern-born' physicians were demanding leadership roles at the institution."
Read more: Citizens Medical Center: Texas hospital in weight row after BANNING obese job applicants | Mail Online
A. Racism is not the question here, the obese and their ability to do their job is.
B.Please explain how my comment was moronic. I merely said that maybe his personal experience did not reflect well on the oversized population.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,739,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It began with smokers and everyone seemed to think that was just dandy. Now, it's "fat" people.

Where does it end? When is enough..enough?

Life Inc. - Texas hospital says fat people need not apply
Well, people who are irresponsible and slothful only have themselves to blame. Being fat is a choice, just like smoking.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Well, people who are irresponsible and slothful only have themselves to blame. Being fat is a choice, just like smoking.

Irresponsible and slothful are terms which can be defined many ways, including some which would apply to you.

What that means for you is that if you support such things as this, you're making yourself a future target.

Comfortable with that, or do you just not think it can happen?

Guess what...we didn't think so either, at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies