U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 AM

51,887 posts, read 41,765,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I rather sympathize with the hospital.

After 20+ years of reviewing disability filings, I can say with some certainty that the Number One Occupation for filing disability claims are those in the health care industry: CNA, RN and (especially) home health care workers.

Of those filing, probably 90 percent are obese with a BMI of over 35 percent. Indeed, it is a rare case when a home health care worker (filing for disability) is not obese.

I know that if I were an advisor to a hospital, I would recommend not hiring the obese, since the chances are pretty good they will hurt their back on the job (virtually all cases I review involving health care workers are back cases).

I bet the hospital's insurance company had input into the decision.
Yep, there are many jobs with a physical component that an obese person just can't do. It's not discriminatory for the military, police academy etc. to require you be able to meet certain requirements like a timed mile run or if you want to be a rough neck and are 40 with a bad shoulder they aren't going to hire you....and it's why you don't see 250lb 40 yo women working the deck on an alaskan crab boat.

Just the way it is, some jobs require you to be physically able to perform the job without endangering yourself or others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,654,380 times
Why not just get people from North of the Mason Dixon line.... every single person up North is a marathon runner, eats Organic and is a world class fitness person

At least according to some people on here...

Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 AM

8,287 posts, read 7,524,338 times
The hospital chief David Brown sounds like a real a-hole:

"It's not the first time the Citizen Medical Center has been caught up in allegations of discrimination. In 2007, a memo Brown sent expressing a 'sense of disgust' he felt that more 'Middle-Eastern-born' physicians were demanding leadership roles at the institution."
Read more: Citizens Medical Center: Texas hospital in weight row after BANNING obese job applicants | Mail Online

Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,885,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep, there are many jobs with a physical component that an obese person just can't do. It's not discriminatory for the military, police academy etc. to require you be able to meet certain requirements like a timed mile run or if you want to be a rough neck and are 40 with a bad shoulder they aren't going to hire you....and it's why you don't see 250lb 40 yo women working the deck on an alaskan crab boat.

Just the way it is, some jobs require you to be physically able to perform the job without endangering yourself or others.
Physical ability often doesn't equate to cosmetic abilities. We can't (and shouldn't) determine ability to do job on "spec sheet". It is why we do more than just go through resumes.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:40 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,654,955 times
Their policy has nothing to do with the physical requirements of the job. It's just simply blatant discrimination based upon appearance.

I'm guessing that if they refused to hire people with dark skin, it would be a different issue, wouldn't it?

No, it wouldn't. Prejudice is prejudice and the more of it we tolerate, the more of it we'll get.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:44 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,203,636 times
Private health insurance at work, folks.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:49 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,524,338 times
This has nothing to do with insurance or the physical requirements to do a job. As the hospital chief states, it is simply about appearance:

"The majority of our patients are over 65, and they have expectations that cannot be ignored in terms of personal appearance,' he said.
'We have the ability as an employer to characterize our process and to have a policy that says what’s best for our business and for our patients.''

Read more: Citizens Medical Center: Texas hospital in weight row after BANNING obese job applicants | Mail Online

Old 04-05-2012, 12:50 PM

1,754 posts, read 1,588,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Their policy has nothing to do with the physical requirements of the job. It's just simply blatant discrimination based upon appearance.

I'm guessing that if they refused to hire people with dark skin, it would be a different issue, wouldn't it?

No, it wouldn't. Prejudice is prejudice and the more of it we tolerate, the more of it we'll get.
This ^^

Also, it boggles my mind how they think that hiring only stick people whose every thought concerns weight & diet can be good for the patients.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

A self-inflicted physical characteristic is different from a born physical characteristic. I understand people who cannot help it, but many CAN.

Would someone who tattooed their face be allowed to work at the hospital? To me that's the better analogy.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 PM

50,521 posts, read 26,677,010 times
If they can staff a whole hospital with slim people in a state as fat as Texas is, more power to them. LMAO

That would be the 9th wonder of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies