U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,770,432 times

Advertisements

Fat people take up too many resources. They don't know their limits. And it translates into higher hospital bills for everyone and making others wait while they tend to fat people.

Good for this hospital, I say. I hope it translates into savings for other, healthier patients who don't need gastric bypass surgery or heart bypass surgery or diabetes or dialysis or cancer treatment because they didn't know when to stop feeding.

Being fat is an epidemic and high time it stopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,938,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Do you know how health insurance works? Pooled risk?

healthy people subsidize unhealthy people - that's how health insurance functions - the more unhealthy people there are, the more expensive it is for everyone.
I get that, but it seems like people love to target only two groups - the overweight and the smokers. I understand those are high risk categories, but so are many other things (which I don't see employers attacking).

Old 04-10-2012, 08:53 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,938,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Fat people take up too many resources. They don't know their limits. And it translates into higher hospital bills for everyone and making others wait while they tend to fat people.

Good for this hospital, I say. I hope it translates into savings for other, healthier patients who don't need gastric bypass surgery or heart bypass surgery or diabetes or dialysis or cancer treatment because they didn't know when to stop feeding.

Being fat is an epidemic and high time it stopped.
Being rude and thoughtless in general is apparently an epidemic too...

Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 PM

12,439 posts, read 10,289,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I get that, but it seems like people love to target only two groups - the overweight and the smokers. I understand those are high risk categories, but so are many other things (which I don't see employers attacking).
Well these are both areas which are in a person's control.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,734,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Those are the two groups that cost the most money to society in terms of health care - amd both are problems that people choose to have.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,969,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Those are the two groups that cost the most money to society in terms of health care - amd both are problems that people choose to have.
gizmo might be onto something tho: people who die of smoking and being fat DON'T cost as much as someone who's senile for many years. The weight thing with hospitals is nurses and aides blowing out their backs and winding up on disability for many years till they die.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,179,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
gizmo might be onto something tho: people who die of smoking and being fat DON'T cost as much as someone who's senile for many years. The weight thing with hospitals is nurses and aides blowing out their backs and winding up on disability for many years till they die.
And you're implying that only overweight nurses/aides suffer back injuries?

Old 04-10-2012, 10:37 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,704,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
and coming from Victoria Texas where closed down gyms turn into all you can eat buffet chains
Is that true? If so, that's pretty sad. LOL

Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,734,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Yes, but smoking and obesity cost us more in aggregate because more people smoke and get fat. Firther, people don't choose to become senile, people do choose to smoke and get fat.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,340,138 times
Victoria, Texas is in the heart of Breakfast Burrito with a Dr. Pepper country.

I can't imagine Victoria is a mecca of physical fitness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies