U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:28 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,791,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Whatever happened to the notion of personal responsibility? Why should I pay for the ultimate result of your irresponsible behavior? Smoke all you want, as long as you aren't paying the same as I am for health insurance or medicare taxes... Smokers should be in their own insurance pool - along with the fatties.
You need to educate yourself. Smokers are paying higher insurance premiums. Find out more here and here.

Also, in an effort to educate you a little further, you may want to read up on the Master Settlement Agreement, which is a settlement between the gov't and tobacco companies granting the gov't virtually unlimited taxation authority over tobacco products in an effort to frey the supposed added cost to medicare caused by their product. In otherwords, while I as a smoker may get the same amount withdrawn from my paycheck in medicare costs as you, the tax I will pay for cigarettes makes up for it.

Master Settlement Agreement

From the link.....

Quote:
The Tobacco Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) was entered in November 1998, originally between the four largest United States tobacco companies and the attorneys general of 46 states. The states settled their Medicaid lawsuits against the tobacco industry for recovery of their tobacco-related, health-care costs, and also exempted the companies from private tort liability regarding harm caused by tobacco use.[1]:25 In exchange, the companies agreed to curtail or cease certain tobacco marketing practices, as well as to pay, in perpetuity, various annual payments to the states to compensate them for some of the medical costs of caring for persons with smoking-related illnesses. The money also funds a new anti-smoking advocacy group, called the American Legacy Foundation, that is responsible for such campaigns as The Truth. The settlement also dissolved the tobacco industry groups Tobacco Institute, the Center for Indoor Air Research, and the Council for Tobacco Research. In the MSA, the OPMs (Original Participating Manufacturers) agreed to pay a minimum of $206 billion over the first twenty-five years of the agreement.
Quote:
I'm curious - do you believe all drugs should be legalized?
All drugs? No. Marijuana and other natural substances? Absolutely

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-13-2012 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 PM

20,611 posts, read 13,014,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
The longer one lives the greater one's health expenditures. Given that people who are obese and morbidly obese live shorter lives, they are not the drain on insurance and Medicare they are accused of being:

"Although effective obesity prevention leads to a decrease in costs of obesity-related diseases, this decrease is offset by cost increases due to diseases unrelated to obesity in life-years gained. Obesity prevention may be an important and cost-effective way of improving public health, but it is not a cure for increasing health expenditures."
Alcohol, Obesity and Smoking Do Not Cost Health Care Systems Money - Forbes
You're right.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 PM

20,611 posts, read 13,014,688 times
Quote:
No, just right. Your defense of fatties is admirable - but that is an odd fetish...
Ok; what do YOU consider to be fat?

Old 04-14-2012, 12:43 PM

1,754 posts, read 1,590,090 times
Quote:
That makes no sense, how is my behavior "subsidized" by others?

Besides, I have to pay actual money to subsidize the fatties who are too selfish to take care of themselves, and are perfectly fine offloading the cost of gorging on gorditas to the rest of society - so I figure the least they can let me do is call them fatties.
Maybe subsidize is the wrong word. More like your meanspiritedness has to be "tolerated" by others because it's illegal to kill a-holes.

Quote:
No, just right. Your defense of fatties is admirable - but that is an odd fetish...
Notice how his derogatory expression ("the fatties") is allowed to stay on the board ? If he had said any one of a number of "offensive" words towards minorities they would have been deleted.

A quick question, the same one posed towards other "fattie" haters which has gone ignored, that being...what about the "skinnies" who stuff their faces ? Is it ok to "subsidize" THEIR unhealthy choices simply because they aren't visible ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies