Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 PM

25,953 posts, read 24,635,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
> Title claims they won't hire "fat" people
> Article mentions BMI greater than 35

Someone with that kind of BMI isn't just fat. They're obese - and that's not the image that the hospital wishes to portray. They wish to have a staff of healthy individuals.
Definitely.
And there are also practical reasons. Really fat people tend to sweat more, which is not desired in hospitals. And they might simply use too much space, block doors etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 12:54 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,949,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I rather sympathize with the hospital.

After 20+ years of reviewing disability filings, I can say with some certainty that the Number One Occupation for filing disability claims are those in the health care industry: CNA, RN and (especially) home health care workers.

Of those filing, probably 90 percent are obese with a BMI of over 35 percent. Indeed, it is a rare case when a home health care worker (filing for disability) is not obese.

I know that if I were an advisor to a hospital, I would recommend not hiring the obese, since the chances are pretty good they will hurt their back on the job (virtually all cases I review involving health care workers are back cases).

I bet the hospital's insurance company had input into the decision.
Excellent point that will be looked over by the ones screaming that this hospital hates fat people.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,372,618 times
I have a silly question, how would the hospital know the BMI of the person applying for the job?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:33 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,138,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
This ^^

Also, it boggles my mind how they think that hiring only stick people whose every thought concerns weight & diet can be good for the patients.
I'd rather take my health be in the hands of someone who was capable of taking care of themselves over someone who doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I have a silly question, how would the hospital know the BMI of the person applying for the job?
If they have to waddle because their thighs overlap, they're too big.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:33 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,340,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It began with smokers and everyone seemed to think that was just dandy. Now, it's "fat" people.

Where does it end? When is enough..enough?

Life Inc. - Texas hospital says fat people need not apply
I'm not surprised, like you said it started with smoking and will continue on to "fat" people.

I work in a hospital and I'm overweight, I wonder what's next on the chopping block.

I also worked as a nurse for 20 years before I quit, nurses today are much the same as they were when I quit, no matter how physically fit you are if your lifting patients you will have back injuries - it comes with the job and that's why so many nurses try to get away from hospital nursing.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 PM

41,808 posts, read 74,847,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm not surprised, like you said it started with smoking and will continue on to "fat" people.
And then what's next? People with sinus problems that blow their noses a lot? People with piercings or tattoos?

Quote:
I'd rather take my health be in the hands of someone who was capable of taking care of themselves over someone who doesn't.
Thinness does not always equate good health.

Oh, and I loved this part:

Quote:
… an employee’s physique “should fit with a representational image or specific mental projection of the job of a healthcare professional,” including an appearance “free from distraction” for hospital patients.
Who's to define what is "free from distraction"? An unusual hairstyle? A big nose? Big feet? Big boobs? Facial hair?

This will be challenged, and probably quickly.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,567,895 times
If more jobs require this and it goes on to other restrictions (smoking, overweight, etc.)...how are these people suppose to work if no one will hire them? It may take a while to get rid of the problem but in the mean time, would you folks rather they live on welfare?

29,981 posts, read 42,833,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire_63 View Post
If one of the qualifications for the job is weight then how can they be "fully qualified" for the job?

If you grew up on a farm and liked to ride horses, it does not mean you fully qualified to be a professional jockey.
How is this any different that religious organizations be allowed to hire only those who agree to follow their church doctrine?

You cannot have it both ways!

8,323 posts, read 15,138,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Thinness does not always equate good health.
True, but severe obesity always equates to poor health.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,145,197 times
If the hospital wants to have a healthy image projected to the public they have every right to bar fat slobs from applying for jobs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies