U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,717,452 times

Advertisements

I don't know what the big deal is over this, at least they are up front about it. When was the last time you had an obese waitress at Hooters? Or an obese cocktail waitress in Vegas? It is all about appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 02:19 PM

209 posts, read 260,738 times
[quote=Bandon;23729179]The thing is, overweight people try a lot harder then their stick figure counterparts in their jobs.

Pretty broad sweeping statement you're making there. Lazy people are lazy because of attitude, not because they're fat or skinny, but if we want to make broad statements, I could easily say that every welfare free-loader I've ever met has been a fat cow.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
And I think it's interesting that you didn't quote my post when you were obviously referring to me.
When in fact, I was generalizing based upon this thread and several over in F&B. Attributing the theme to solely yourself? Sounds like a song by Carly Simon..

If you would like links to some over in F&B, I'll be happy to provide.

Quote:
There IS a difference between overweight and obese.
And the hospital is not against overweight or slightly fluffy people. They're looking at people who have a BMI greater than 35. That's huge.

Quote:
I'm not trying to "soften" anything with my "stick figure" comments either. I figure the skinnies can take at least a fraction of the abuse that the overweight have had to endure from them for all these years.
Abuse? Now that's a laugh.

Quote:
How does it hurt YOU ?
Doesn't hurt me a bit. Well. It hurts my sides from laughing so hard.

Quote:
You're still going to get preferential treatment everywhere you go.
If you say so...

Quote:
Fact is: It is a still a misconception that all skinny people eat healthy, just as it's still a misconception that all overweight people eat nothing but crap.
All I said is that severe obesity is unhealthy. Addendum to that: No matter what the cause.

Quote:
If I can get twice as much work done as my thinner counterparts because I eat a healthy job, then I should be the one who is promoted. Besides, I thought it was supposed to be about productivity. This judging everyone based on looks alone is flat out superficial and nothing more.
You... eat a healthy job?

As for the rest of this, it's not just the appearance when it comes to severe obesity. It's unhealthy no matter which way you slice it.

And by it, I don't mean a quadruple layer chocolate cake.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:27 PM

6,396 posts, read 4,407,463 times
I am overweight. I can also understand that a medical facility would want to present a healthy image.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:35 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,260,520 times
There's nothing wrong with an employer deciding not to hire people who clearly demonstrate they care little or not at all about their health. Such people are risks to the rest of us and cause the rest of us to pay high insurance rates and government taxes. Yes, there are exceptions amongst some overweight people who are that way not because of any actions of their own.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:38 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
kaiser is full of fat people. this is the person giving me professional advice on health.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:51 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,898,183 times
While Texas is one of the states with an obesity problem, I have been to a lot of countries and have found Americans to be the fattest in general. I guess that makes for a good reason to move the jobs out of this country.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:56 PM

1,754 posts, read 1,589,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
When in fact, I was generalizing based upon this thread and several over in F&B. Attributing the theme to solely yourself? Sounds like a song by Carly Simon..

You're So Vain. I think you have it backwards, it's the thin who are the vain ones.
Anyone who places appearance over ability & productivity is vain AND superficial. The fact that being extremely overweight is unhealthy is nobodies business but the person in questions.

And the hospital is not against overweight or slightly fluffy people. They're looking at people who have a BMI greater than 35. That's huge.

But still, what if they are the better employees ?

Again, I've sat next to many a slim coworker who was eating trash for lunch while I was eating a healthy salad. Why is that coworker being looked upon as the healthier more productive employee ?

Abuse? Now that's a laugh.

So you're saying that overweight people don't take abuse everyday of their lives from the thin ? The majority of posts on this thread prove that.

All I said is that severe obesity is unhealthy. Addendum to that: No matter what the cause.

Well so is severe thinness. No matter what the cause.

You... eat a healthy job?

So because your mean spirited comments towards the overweight failed to hurt my feelings you feel the need to attack the small mistake in my post. Yeh..that REALLY hurts my feelings.
---

Old 04-05-2012, 03:24 PM

3,225 posts, read 6,296,592 times
Quote:
And I think it's interesting that you didn't quote my post when you were obviously referring to me.

There IS a difference between overweight and obese. I'm not trying to "soften" anything with my "stick figure" comments either. I figure the skinnies can take at least a fraction of the abuse that the overweight have had to endure from them for all these years. How does it hurt YOU ? You're still going to get preferential treatment everywhere you go.

Fact is: It is a still a misconception that all skinny people eat healthy, just as it's still a misconception that all overweight people eat nothing but crap.

If I can get twice as much work done as my thinner counterparts because I eat a healthy job, then I should be the one who is promoted. Besides, I thought it was supposed to be about productivity. This judging everyone based on looks alone is flat out superficial and nothing more.
Oh these double standards. Stop whinig. These kinds of comments are just as nasty as comments you probably don't like hearing about the overweight. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I work with women who makes comments to me like "you're skinny, I hate you" and "skinny *****". I'd be nailed to a wall if I called someone a "fat *****" or told them to eat less. I'm quite average really and yes they are all overweight. Do you really think that's fair?

Old 04-05-2012, 03:32 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,500,230 times
Quote:
You're So Vain. I think you have it backwards, it's the thin who are the vain ones.
Needs a forum version "You're so vain, you probably think this post is about you." XD

Also, anyone can be vain - whether obese or skinny.

Quote:
Anyone who places appearance over ability & productivity is vain AND superficial. The fact that being extremely overweight is unhealthy is nobodies business but the person in questions.
Not really. It affects how the business looks.

Quote:
But still, what if they are the better employees ?
Too bad, so sad?

Quote:
Again, I've sat next to many a slim coworker who was eating trash for lunch while I was eating a healthy salad. Why is that coworker being looked upon as the healthier more productive employee ?
If all you're eating for lunch is a salad with no protein source, you're putting your body into starvation mode. Not exactly healthy.

As for eating trash, I've seen it, too. It happens.

Quote:
So you're saying that overweight people don't take abuse everyday of their lives from the thin ? The majority of posts on this thread prove that.
So saying "being obese is unhealthy" is now classified as abuse? Well color me teal.

Quote:
Well so is severe thinness. No matter what the cause.
Not necessarily. If it's because the person has an eating disorder, then yes, unhealthy. But if the person has a naturally xx-small frame and form, then their diminutive size is not unhealthy for them.

Quote:
So because your mean spirited comments towards the overweight failed to hurt my feelings you feel the need to attack the small mistake in my post. Yeh..that REALLY hurts my feelings.
> Implying that I was being mean-spirited and trying to hurt your feelings.

That's a laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies