U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:44 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,187,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't know what the big deal is over this, at least they are up front about it. When was the last time you had an obese waitress at Hooters? Or an obese cocktail waitress in Vegas? It is all about appearance.

Big girls need love too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 04:02 PM

21,659 posts, read 11,117,335 times
Fat people who have become fat, some are from heredity and genetic. They have a predisposition to become fat much easier than the average person... granted some eat themselves fat , others do not and are stuck with a slow metabolism . Hypothyroidism is characterized with weight gain.

It is not for us to discriminate against fat people. The sin of gluttony is any person stuffing themselves with overeating.. some stuff themselves and never gain weight..

It is actually more healthy to have some extra body weight in case one does get sick.. if someone is rail thin they can lose body weight from their organs such as the heart muscle. One can be too thin. You know the saying, one cannot be too rich or too thin... I disagree. Some extra weight is good .

I hear of women who smoke to keep the weight off.. I don't think that is healthy.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:06 PM

12,172 posts, read 7,037,881 times
The better metric is the hip/belly ratio for women or the "dicky do" ratio for men.

If your belly sticks out further than your "dicky do" you need to lose weight, men.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:09 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,636,182 times
First they came for the felons and I didn't speak up because I'm not a felon
Then they came for the smokers and I didn't speak up because I'm not a smoker
Then they came for the fatties and I didn't speak up because I had a bucket of KFC in my mouth and I was dead from combination diabetes, stroke, and coronary thrombosis

Old 04-05-2012, 04:17 PM

21,659 posts, read 11,117,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I rather sympathize with the hospital.

After 20+ years of reviewing disability filings, I can say with some certainty that the Number One Occupation for filing disability claims are those in the health care industry: CNA, RN and (especially) home health care workers.

Of those filing, probably 90 percent are obese with a BMI of over 35 percent. Indeed, it is a rare case when a home health care worker (filing for disability) is not obese.

I know that if I were an advisor to a hospital, I would recommend not hiring the obese, since the chances are pretty good they will hurt their back on the job (virtually all cases I review involving health care workers are back cases).

I bet the hospital's insurance company had input into the decision.
I disagree. I know of four obese and I mean obese , very heavy sisters who work their butts off in the health industry and work double shift and can outlast most people as far as stamina.. I wonder how they do it.. They sleep for a few hours and up and out they go.. and they are not young.. in their fifties and sixties.. they are the energizer bunnies that keep going and going.And guess what, they diet and never really lose any huge amount of weight.. and they are vegans. They eat salmon but no meat or chicken. Every health book they have read. Every kind of exercise equipment they have bought over the years and it doesn't sit in the corner. They use it and they have joined a gym and go there too.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,236,709 times
We are slowly tiptoeing our way to a real life "Gattaca".

Old 04-05-2012, 04:26 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,001,937 times
Obese people have a very hard time of working while on their feet.
Obese people usually walk slower and work slower. This can cost the employer in productivity. (GENERALLY speaking, as of course in this world there are exceptions to just about everything.)

I once weighed 300lbs. at 5'6.5" and I am sure not offended by this hospital's policy.
Is their hospital a private hospital? Is this some upscale place where folks go for facelifts and things they pay for with their own coin?

I wonder....but I don't "hate" them for it.
Obese people can't be airline stewards or stewardesses either, and for what should be obvious reasons.

OOHHH...not Just a hospital, but they are a WELLNESS center, a heart hospital and are a Bariatric center! Weight loss is a large part of their services.
Bariatrics if the medicine of

OBESITY~

http://citizensmedicalcenter.org/contact-us/#

Old 04-05-2012, 04:34 PM

570 posts, read 555,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I disagree. I know of four obese and I mean obese , very heavy sisters who work their butts off in the health industry and work double shift and can outlast most people as far as stamina.. I wonder how they do it.. They sleep for a few hours and up and out they go.. and they are not young.. in their fifties and sixties.. they are the energizer bunnies that keep going and going.And guess what, they diet and never really lose any huge amount of weight.. and they are vegans. They eat salmon but no meat or chicken. Every health book they have read. Every kind of exercise equipment they have bought over the years and it doesn't sit in the corner. They use it and they have joined a gym and go there too.
Vegans don't eat salmon. They aren't even vegetarians. Vegans = no meat of any kind including fish, no dairy, no eggs

Old 04-05-2012, 04:59 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,675,494 times
wonder how obese hospital administrators would be if they had to live and work nursing staff hours. Some practically live in the hospital for several days at a time and eat unhealthy food they pick up either in the cafeteria, restaurants, or vending machines. All this while hospital administrators work normal 9-5 hours Monday-Friday, eat for free food prepared by the hospital's chef on staff, and have all the hours available to attend health clubs either owned by the hospital or more expensive health clubs outside the hospital. My job at the hospital makes losing weight very difficult. My shift rotation starts on Tuesday 11pm-7am. This is a 7 day straight shift. Off Tuesday (sleep half way through the day) and Wednesday. Work Thursday 3pm-11pm seven days straight. Off Thursday and Friday. Work Saturday 7am-3pm six days straight. Off Friday-Monday then back to work 11pm-7am. Our hospital's gym Monday-Friday opens at 5 am and closes at 8pm. It's only open a very limited hours on Saturday. Closed on Sunday. If you've never worked rotating shift work, you cannot imagine how it effects your body. In my case, it's made even more difficult caring for my wife who has spinal problems and her 86 year old father who lives with us. Many nurses work 12 hours a day or more. The stress we're all under contributes to our weight gain.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:15 PM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
\When was the last time you had an obese waitress at Hooters? Or an obese cocktail waitress in Vegas? It is all about appearance.
Health care professionals are not hired for their looks, or to attract patients with their looks.

I wonder if this extends to doctors? I've seen a fair number of them with pot bellies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies