Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
True, but severe obesity always equates to poor health.
Not always. Educate yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not always. Educate yourself.
If the person eats too much, they are making poor health choices.

If the person has a medical issue that causes the weight, then they are in poor health.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:48 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times
There's fat, obese and morbidly obese.

Each carries a health risk.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:49 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
How can anyone be upset about this? On average fat people cost more in terms of health care, they take more sick days, they cost their employers a lot more money than people who are not fat. Are there skinny people who are unhealthy? Yes. Are there fat people who are healthy? Yes, but you have a MUCH greater chance of being unhealthy if you are fat.

How can you get upset with a hospital for trying to control their image and their costs when the real problem is that people can't put the cheeseburger down and pick up an apple?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:54 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,914,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
How can anyone be upset about this? On average fat people cost more in terms of health care, they take more sick days, they cost their employers a lot more money than people who are not fat. Are there skinny people who are unhealthy? Yes. Are there fat people who are healthy? Yes, but you have a MUCH greater chance of being unhealthy if you are fat.

How can you get upset with a hospital for trying to control their image and their costs when the real problem is that people can't put the cheeseburger down and pick up an apple?

The thing is, overweight people try a lot harder then their stick figure counterparts in their jobs.

Why ? Because they have to. They know they are always being watched & critiqued. I have heard of so many cases where the overweight employee did a far better job then the skinny counterpart but nevertheless, guess who gets the accolades and promotions ?

I could use myself as an example of your average overweight person in the workplace. I am not HUGE by any means but I am overweight. This is my genes talking here. I eat mostly a healthy fresh diet of grains & veg yet most Americans (with their obsessions with thinness) would never think that I could run circles around many of my thinner co-workers.

It is a misconception that thin people eat only healthy foods, the same as it's a misconception that all overweight people eat nothing but crap. I've sat next to many a skinny co-worker in the lunch room who was eating a frozen burrito & bag of chips for lunch while I was feasting on a HUGE salad with tons of veg and a delicious homemade vinegrette.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:58 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
I am a lttle overweight myself, working on it, but not that obese. I don't know that I'd go so far as to make it policy but I have no problem with an employer passing up someone who was obese for someone who wasn't. It's part of what we put out there when we market ourselves. I assume I would be less marketable if I weighed 300 lbs or whatever.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Interesting how people interchange "severly obese" (BMI of 35+) with "overweight", yet replace thin/thinner with "stick figure". It's like they're trying to soften the blow of being grossly obese while showing off their disdain for people who are thinner than themselves.

Fact is: Obesity is unhealthy. Business is in the practice of taking care of the unhealthy. Therefore, their staff should be the picture of healthy.

Don't like? Don't work there.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
employers can do anything they want. remember when u kicked unions in the posterior and told them to take a hike? remember u told them u can handle this stuff yourself bek u know your rights?

Old 04-05-2012, 02:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
The thing is, overweight people try a lot harder then their stick figure counterparts in their jobs.

Why ? Because they have to. They know they are always being watched & critiqued. I have heard of so many cases where the overweight employee did a far better job then the skinny counterpart but nevertheless, guess who gets the accolades and promotions ?

I could use myself as an example of your average overweight person in the workplace. I am not HUGE by any means but I am overweight. This is my genes talking here. I eat mostly a healthy fresh diet of grains & veg yet most Americans (with their obsessions with thinness) would never think that I could run circles around many of my thinner co-workers.

It is a misconception that thin people eat only healthy foods, the same as it's a misconception that all overweight people eat nothing but crap. I've sat next to many a skinny co-worker in the lunch room who was eating a frozen burrito & bag of chips for lunch while I was feasting on a HUGE salad with tons of veg and a delicious homemade vinegrette.
I understand what you are saying, but I am not sure why it matters if overweight people work harder or not. You are paid for output, not input on a job. Life isn't fair, some people have to run five miles a day to stay at a healthy weight, some people don't have to do anything. Also, people project their own flaws onto failures in life so they can avoid raking responsibility. An oveweight person claims they were overlooked because of weight. An introvert claims they were passed by for a promotion because they were outgoing. An extrovert complains they were passed by because their boss sees them as as too chatty and not working hard enough.

Everyone has something wrong with themselves, but in the end, they are all just excuses.

There are two primary problems we have in modern society.

1. Ignore WHAT you eat, but we eat way too much. We do not control portion size.
2. Exercise. We simply don't do it. I ride a bike to work and back every day. I only ride 11 miles each way, however people in my office look at me like I am superman. It is sad the lengths people go through to avoid exercising.

Expend more calories than you consume. Do that, and you will lose weight.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:07 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,914,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Interesting how people interchange "severly obese" (BMI of 35+) with "overweight", yet replace thin/thinner with "stick figure". It's like they're trying to soften the blow of being grossly obese while showing off their disdain for people who are thinner than themselves.

Fact is: Obesity is unhealthy. Business is in the practice of taking care of the unhealthy. Therefore, their staff should be the picture of healthy.

Don't like? Don't work there.
And I think it's interesting that you didn't quote my post when you were obviously referring to me.

There IS a difference between overweight and obese. I'm not trying to "soften" anything with my "stick figure" comments either. I figure the skinnies can take at least a fraction of the abuse that the overweight have had to endure from them for all these years. How does it hurt YOU ? You're still going to get preferential treatment everywhere you go.

Fact is: It is a still a misconception that all skinny people eat healthy, just as it's still a misconception that all overweight people eat nothing but crap.

If I can get twice as much work done as my thinner counterparts because I eat a healthy job, then I should be the one who is promoted. Besides, I thought it was supposed to be about productivity. This judging everyone based on looks alone is flat out superficial and nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies