Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:46 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,841,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Actually if 63% of Americans are overweight or obese than they are society or at least the majority of it.
Good point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,769,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring_(fallacy)

Strange how you chose not to address the fact that fatties cost more money to take care of. Being fat is a choice, and the rest of society shouldn't have to subsidize your slovenly behavior.
I addressed the facts, you couldn't care less. I guarantee you don't subsidize sh%T beacuse it's always the ones riding in the cart that complain about the ones pulling it.

You are either ignorant, or young, (or both?) to believe that being fat is a choice. It would be like me making a blanket statement that; "anyone under the age of 25 is stupid"... however I'd never be an ass and say something like that. BTW, before you jump on your knee-jerk (among other things jerked), I'm not a "fatty" as you call them. I can't wait for you to see what you weight when you're 50 something. Youth is wasted on the young.

Last edited by steven_h; 04-12-2012 at 07:16 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 07:34 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,040,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I addressed the facts, you couldn't care less. I guarantee you don't subsidize sh%T beacuse it's always the ones riding in the cart that complain about the ones pulling it.

You are either ignorant, or young, (or both?) to believe that being fat is a choice. It would be like me making a blanket statement that; "anyone under the age of 25 is stupid"... however I'd never be an ass and say something like that. BTW, before you jump on your knee-jerk (among other things jerked), I'm not a "fatty" as you call them. I can't wait for you to see what you weight when you're 50 something. Youth is wasted on the young.
You didn't address the fact that 10% of all health care spending is related to obesity - you attempted to distract by talking about other things money is wasted on.

Being fat is a choice for the vast majority of fat people.

As for me at 50, my family is quite healthy, so I'm not worried, exercise and eat right, it ain't rocket science.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,593,405 times
The longer one lives the greater one's health expenditures. Given that people who are obese and morbidly obese live shorter lives, they are not the drain on insurance and Medicare they are accused of being:

"Although effective obesity prevention leads to a decrease in costs of obesity-related diseases, this decrease is offset by cost increases due to diseases unrelated to obesity in life-years gained. Obesity prevention may be an important and cost-effective way of improving public health, but it is not a cure for increasing health expenditures."
Alcohol, Obesity and Smoking Do Not Cost Health Care Systems Money - Forbes

Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,557,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And then what's next? People with sinus problems that blow their noses a lot? People with piercings or tattoos?

Thinness does not always equate good health.

Oh, and I loved this part:

Who's to define what is "free from distraction"? An unusual hairstyle? A big nose? Big feet? Big boobs? Facial hair?

This will be challenged, and probably quickly.
It may be challenged but in a "right to work state" employers can do this. No legal challenges can be brought against them. In Florida if you arent a "good fit " for a job you can be fired at will.

This is what the far right wants in every state. "Right to work" is an anomaly.

look in the yellow page directory under attorneys who practice "labor law". In most states, there are very few these days.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,769,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
You didn't address the fact that 10% of all health care spending is related to obesity - you attempted to distract by talking about other things money is wasted on.

Being fat is a choice for the vast majority of fat people.

As for me at 50, my family is quite healthy, so I'm not worried, exercise and eat right, it ain't rocket science.
So, it isn't youth.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
So, it isn't youth.
No, just right. Your defense of fatties is admirable - but that is an odd fetish...

Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,872,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It began with smokers and everyone seemed to think that was just dandy. Now, it's "fat" people.

Where does it end? When is enough..enough?

Life Inc. - Texas hospital says fat people need not apply
I'm just sitting back in my computer chair having a good ole laugh right now. We { the smokers and otherwise degenerate and dehumanized folks who defend them as the people they are } tried to warn you. We told you this kind of ridiculousness was coming, all the while the majority chose to remain willfuly ignorant and utterly stupid. This is your prize!

Quote:
Where does it end? When is enough..enough?
People, it's your America, you have made it, or rather LET IT get where it is today, now you have to live with it. So where does it end? When is enough.... enough? Only you have the answer. The better question is, when will you awaken and decide you care enough to do something? When will we defend the rights of ALL people, regardless of what choices they make such as whether to smoke or what to eat? Even if we dont agree with what they're choosing to do?

Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'm just sitting back in my computer chair having a good ole laugh right now. We { the smokers and otherwise degenerate and dehumanized folks who defend them as the people they are } tried to warn you. We told you this kind of ridiculousness was coming, all the while the majority chose to remain willfuly ignorant and utterly stupid. This is your prize!

People, it's your America, you have made it, or rather LET IT get where it is today, now you have to live with it. So where does it end? When is enough.... enough? Only you have the answer. The better question is, when will you awaken and decide you care enough to do something? When will we defend the rights of ALL people, regardless of what choices they make such as whether to smoke or what to eat? Even if we dont agree with what they're choosing to do?
Whatever happened to the notion of personal responsibility? Why should I pay for the ultimate result of your irresponsible behavior? Smoke all you want, as long as you aren't paying the same as I am for health insurance or medicare taxes... Smokers should be in their own insurance pool - along with the fatties.

I'm curious - do you believe all drugs should be legalized?

Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,171,889 times
I look at it this way, if you want smoke or be fat, then come work where i do, if you can pass the background check. if they fired everyone that was fat or that smoked, 85% of the plant would be gone, and 200,000 people in Wyoming and Colorado would not be getteing any electricity, as our plant would be shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies