Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The panels do not have to be on the house or even next to it. Solar power has saved many people a lot of money and we have a guy down the street that is actually off the grid due mainly to the solar panels they added. They started with enough to heat their water, then gradually added more and more until it covered most of their power needs, with one small sized windmill for the remaining needs and to pump water from their two wells. Personally, it is a goal of mine to be off the grind within the next five years and the more people that do the same the less energy that will need to be produced in the future.
I have no ground on my property that is not shaded nearly every part of the day. I can grow only grass that will tolerate deep shade, but then it does help to not have the sun shining on the roof. As for wind mills, they have to be pretty high since all my trees are at least 30 feet high and the mill would have to be on the north side of them which would cut down on that prevailing south wind.

You aren't getting off the grid to save money, i hope. You might have to be around a long time to make that pay for all your expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
To answer the question posed in the OP........

Will they mandate that a portion of one's salary be used to purchase Treasury bonds? Or that a portion of all retirement plans be invested in them? Certainly possible since so much of what the government does, they justify as "interstate commerce".
I think you are very right and that with all those references in the law about the Secretary being able to create things to keep the law in power who really knows what she would find necessary.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have been wondering what may happen to us if Obama manages to bully the Court into allowing his "baby" to stand. Will they try to force us all to buy Volts or some other kind of "green" car? Will they demand that we give in to any of the other desires of either political lean? Where will they stop?

What Else Will the Government Force Us to Buy if ObamaCare is Ruled Constitutional? - Godfather Politics
Could be any number of things that are deemed that everyone takes place in.

Such as the food markets, electrical systems, telephone systems, roads, cars, etc.

Its why I don't support the individual mandate. It should have been a limited single payer system with private sector bolstering.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:23 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
[quote=roysoldboy;23735716]I guess you really don't think that the death panels won't hurt we old people. In the law there are words that talk about putting us at the end of the line when there is one waiting for care. I fear that and know most of you youngers just don't understand it at all. Take pain pills and wait for death is what they will give for care.

/QUOTE]

Please share more about the death panels BC my 80 YO mom hasn't gotten the memo. Got links?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:34 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
I have no ground on my property that is not shaded nearly every part of the day. I can grow only grass that will tolerate deep shade, but then it does help to not have the sun shining on the roof. As for wind mills, they have to be pretty high since all my trees are at least 30 feet high and the mill would have to be on the north side of them which would cut down on that prevailing south wind.

You aren't getting off the grid to save money, i hope. You might have to be around a long time to make that pay for all your expenses.
I'd wager that there are few people "off the grid" at present. Most use the term incorrectly, since the majority of people are still "on the grid",...they just produce enough electrical current to offset what they consume from the power supplier on a monthly basis. Today's technology is mostly insufficient to sustain true off-the-grid living without major adjustments to ones lifestyle.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Toss in the fact that there are tons of HOAs from coast to coast which are also vehemently opposed to this mandate, and you'll see quite easily why this mandate is yet another stupid one from the folks in DC.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:30 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
I'd wager that there are few people "off the grid" at present. Most use the term incorrectly, since the majority of people are still "on the grid",...they just produce enough electrical current to offset what they consume from the power supplier on a monthly basis. Today's technology is mostly insufficient to sustain true off-the-grid living without major adjustments to ones lifestyle.
About .5 million. I actually had a neighbor cut the cord for a bit. He's grid tied now. Batteries are expensive and need regular maintenance. No reason to cut the grid if you live in the city. Grid tie and offset.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
About .5 million. I actually had a neighbor cut the cord for a bit. He's grid tied now. Batteries are expensive and need regular maintenance. No reason to cut the grid if you live in the city. Grid tie and offset.
I believe that "they" will require us to buy some of those "green" forms of power production as well as Government Motors cars and so on. "They" know what they can get by with forcing us to do and allowing this mandate will turn them loose. I feel this way no matter which party is in control. Politicians ruined Social Security by spending all the "surplus" payments every year for over 60 years and they will continue to push us around especially if this one is allowed to stand.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:44 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
I have been wondering what may happen to us if Obama manages to bully the Court into allowing his "baby" to stand. Will they try to force us all to buy Volts or some other kind of "green" car? Will they demand that we give in to any of the other desires of either political lean? Where will they stop?

What Else Will the Government Force Us to Buy if ObamaCare is Ruled Constitutional? - Godfather Politics
Or, what will they not allow us to buy? If this thing stands, Katie bar the door, because virtually everything you do can affect your health, and with the Government as the health care provider, they can tell you how to live.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:58 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Or, what will they not allow us to buy? If this thing stands, Katie bar the door, because virtually everything you do can affect your health, and with the Government as the health care provider, they can tell you how to live.
Sugar now appears to be the next tobacco. It will be interesting to see how they restrict it. I'm sure it will be through higher taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies