Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling
That may be wishful thinking on your part, but far from reality, despite Greece. The rest of Europe is recuperating and will be doing fine again. We have had crises long before the US even existed, and we have survived all of them. We are the prototypical phoenix rising from the ashes

I can think of some ashes you wouldn't riseing out of!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 06:01 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So what the heck is an inalienable right to conservatives? Is it the right to breath air free of charge without getting billed for it from heaven?
Inalienable rights are rights that are free. Rights that are not granted at he expense of another. I am in healthcare, you do not have an inalienable right to my labor.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I am not surprised that Europeans do not understand the Commerce Clause. I am much more surprised my fellow Americans are so ill informed.
Most Americans do understand the Commerce Clause. I don't believe that Obamacare violates it at all. I wouldn't care if it did violate the clause, as it would bring health insurance to nearly 40 million Americans that unjustly don't have it. Any clause can be overlooked if the benefit of the people was in question.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I can think of some ashes you wouldn't riseing out of!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The same kind of ashes no country on earth would rise out of.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Pretty much just nailed it right there.
A wise farmer who wants to prosper keeps the herd healthy..He will supply a vet for his creatures...Those against real health care should stop being so cheap...a healthy common populace will make them even more rich...To have the bulk of a nation running around in pain...diseased...distress...under mental stress of worrying where they are going to get the money or medication to stay strong...does not make for a very bright future...A nation is a family...rich relatives and poor ones...YOU have to take care of your family...if not...the world will disrespect you...I don't believe AMERICA can handle anymore dis-respect...You reached your limit.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Yeah, those evil highest quality of living, better educated Europeans with universal healthcare everywhere. How dare they question the stupidity of the American government and population.

I'm not saying Obamacare is great, but this Europe bashing on this board is ridiculous. Stop pretending America is the closest stop to Heaven a mere mortal can reach.

Once again. American is only a 1st world nation because we're rich and imperialistic.
Neither of those assertions is true.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Inalienable rights are rights that are free. Rights that are not granted at he expense of another. I am in healthcare, you do not have an inalienable right to my labor.
Inalienable rights are granted by our creator and not by government. Our rights and liberties must be constantly fought for in order to maintain them, they are not free.

The primary function of government is to secure/defend individual liberty as defined through our US Constitution.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:07 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Most Americans do understand the Commerce Clause. I don't believe that Obamacare violates it at all. I wouldn't care if it did violate the clause, as it would bring health insurance to nearly 40 million Americans that unjustly don't have it. Any clause can be overlooked if the benefit of the people was in question.
I would like to see where you got the 40 million # at?

Also, it will NOT bring healthcare to everyone, just like now, some people do not want HC: 1) The are rich and do not need it or 2) some people just don't want it, because they are healthy.

Why is that so hard to believe?

BTW, your 40 million number, does that include illegals....please provide some stats to back up your claim...

Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Of course it violates the commerce clause, it is clear you, and your fellow travelers do not care about the Constitution. And of course the Constitution cannot be overlooked on your whim. The Supreme Court gave the loony left a roadmap to live in everlasting bliss. They indicated single payer would be constitutional. Go out and convince the American people, that the same folks who bring them the DMV are the perfect folks to provide them healthcare!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:10 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
All I can say is if these euroweenies are baffled then it's a pretty good sign the founding fathers were correct in their approach.

"Europe is scratching its head over possibility that the U.S. Supreme Court will strike down President Obama's signature legislative achievement. As the judiciary and the Obama administration trade legal barbs over the high court's authority, the idea that health care coverage, largely considered a universal right in Europe, could be deemed an affront to liberty is baffling. "

Europe Is Baffled by the U.S. Supreme Court - Yahoo! News
I guess they never had such situation where the entire system revolves around private insurance, and therefore they never had to deal with a situation where some people simply refuse to pay for their care. We have a Ronald Reagan mandate which forces hospitals to provide free care for those who refuse to pay, but of course the hospitals simply charge the bill to those who do care.

It seems like there are no answers. Obamacare offered the mandate where everyone pays, which also happens to be the solution the conservatives have been pushing for since the 1990s, but if it turns out to be illegal, then we are back to the Reagan mandate where people with insurance are forced to pay for those who refuse to pay. To me the Reagan mandate is illegal too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies